Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2019, 09:30 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,635,782 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrawberrySoup View Post
Why do you think that a ten round magazine is somehow safer than a 20? Any proof?
Anyone who shoots knows that the larger capacity magazines have a greater chance of causing a malfunction, as a general rule.

Old 08-13-2019, 09:39 AM

14,968 posts, read 9,824,933 times
I know... maybe if I did this,Why we don't need Assault Rifles to protect ourselves from Government-pink.jpg

Old 08-13-2019, 09:48 AM

2,594 posts, read 1,243,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heart84 View Post
And for your point #3, how did our military fare with guerrilla warfare in Vietnam, Iraq, Afghanistan, etc.?
Armed american citizens are in no way comparable to the guerilla fighters we went up against in Iraq, Afghanistan and Vietnam. This is an absurd comparison.

Old 08-13-2019, 09:50 AM

8,494 posts, read 6,902,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Anyone who shoots knows that the larger capacity magazines have a greater chance of causing a malfunction, as a general rule.
What the heck are you trying to say here. A high capacity magazine is not any more lethal than a smaller magazine because it tends to jam more easily? Doesn’t appear that the 100 round drum mag used by the Dayton shooter had any problems.

Old 08-13-2019, 09:53 AM

37,474 posts, read 61,432,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucat View Post
Whatever you call the weapon, the real issue for most of the public isn’t the weapon itself, but the size of the magazine. If the perps didn’t have access to large quantity magazines, the number of deaths would be dramatically less.
I do not agree with your statement. I think you are wrong.

Old 08-13-2019, 09:55 AM

181 posts, read 82,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuakerBaker View Post
Many people say that we need the right to own weapons such as an AK47 so that we can protect ourselves from an abusive government.

I would argue that this is not true.

1...Our military takes an oath to defend the constitution or in other words the rights of the people. In Nazi Germany they took an oath to Hitler, etc...not the rights of the people. Our military is staffed by good people overall who hold the protection of the constitution in high value.

2...In similar countries with similar constitutional values like France, the UK, Australia....which have reduced gun rights...you don't see an oppressive government beating up the people. Because as above, the military would turn on the government if it ever did that.

3...The military has high tech weapons and vehicles...an AK47 wouldn't be effective for fighting against that either.

4...The same reason that many don't want Iran to have nuclear weapons is the same reason that many don't want anyone to have AK47s. The more weapons of mass destruction out there the more likely they are to fall into wrong hands and be used for evil.
Very naive and trusting!

Old 08-13-2019, 10:12 AM

307 posts, read 102,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuakerBaker View Post
Many people say that we need the right to own weapons such as an AK47 so that we can protect ourselves from an abusive government.

I would argue that this is not true.

1...Our military takes an oath to defend the constitution or in other words the rights of the people. In Nazi Germany they took an oath to Hitler, etc...not the rights of the people. Our military is staffed by good people overall who hold the protection of the constitution in high value.

2...In similar countries with similar constitutional values like France, the UK, Australia....which have reduced gun rights...you don't see an oppressive government beating up the people. Because as above, the military would turn on the government if it ever did that.

3...The military has high tech weapons and vehicles...an AK47 wouldn't be effective for fighting against that either.

4...The same reason that many don't want Iran to have nuclear weapons is the same reason that many don't want anyone to have AK47s. The more weapons of mass destruction out there the more likely they are to fall into wrong hands and be used for evil.

You have absolutely no idea what an assault rifle is or isn't, educate yourself.

Old 08-13-2019, 10:16 AM

29,510 posts, read 14,673,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
What the heck are you trying to say here. A high capacity magazine is not any more lethal than a smaller magazine because it tends to jam more easily? Doesn’t appear that the 100 round drum mag used by the Dayton shooter had any problems.

Being a firearms enthusiast, drum magazines are notorious for not functioning properly, and more a novelty , much like the bump stock. It would be embarrassing to shop up at the range with either. Yet we've seen both used without issues....go figure.

Old 08-13-2019, 10:22 AM

18,161 posts, read 15,640,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post

Actually from what I have seen and an initial report by police, which has been buried, the mag stovepiped after 30 rounds. There were 70 rounds still in the mag and a cartridge flipped up vertically in the breech. This is a problem common with these drum mags.

I have seen shooters with them on the range and they had nothing but problems with them. In reality they are pretty worthless. To me personally they are for sure. I wouldn't own one. When I shoot my AR I usually run the 5 , 10 and 20 round mags I have. The 5 and 10 see more use than anything.

I find it interesting that these lower round mags are more expensive than the 30s. Quite a bit more actually. If you can even find them. So I do have a bunch of 30s. That's a standard mag for the AR. But with my shooting style which often has me shooting from a bench they stick down to far.They wind up hitting the bench and require me to elevate my rest. The little guys are perfect. That doesn't mean I don't see a purpose for the 30s.

They are what I put in when I take the rifle on camping trips or out ratting around the desert. But in reality mag capacity does not make the rifle any more "deadly". Bear in mind these mass shooters tend to fire from the hip and miss a lot more than they hit. The newsies love to focus on how many rounds these creeps fire and how many were in the rifle an insinuate that a fired round equals a hit every time. After all rifles like the AR are magical pieces of gear that impart the shooter with a never miss power.

Dianne Feinstein actually went on record saying that these rifles "never miss." This being due to accessories like a flash hider/muzzle brake which make it easier to spray from the hip which she punctuated with the never miss comment.

But this uninformed and ignorant commentary does get folks worked up. A fear based reaction is what this drivel is designed to invoke. Stoking people who don't know any better up with fear and blatant misinformation (out right lies) that further their political agenda.

I'm sure you have good reading skills. The internet is your friend. Read up a bit on the history of the AR platform. As far as "military" service rifles go back to the M1 Garand and M14/M1A. It's pretty interesting. While your at it look at the University of Texas 1966 shooting. After studying that incident the AR won't seem near as scary and helps put things in perspective.

Old 08-13-2019, 10:29 AM

11,142 posts, read 10,718,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
The assault weapons ban was weak, too many exemptions and companies merely slightly modified their product line to bypass. Yet people always point to the AWB as being non-effective when in reality it wasn't meaningful legislation.
The AWB was weak because any stronger legislation would have been unconstitutional. Any new AWB will be weak because anything stronger will be unconstitutional. Simply put, gun bans are unconstitutional. If you want a gun ban that is effective, you'll need to repeal the 2nd Amendment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies