Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2019, 09:49 PM

11,160 posts, read 10,739,183 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
A few anecdotes going back over a hundred years isn't meaningful to me. I don't see the government as a force that requires us to have these types of guns.
A few thousand, you mean. History is replete with incidents of government brutality upon the governed.

Old 08-15-2019, 05:34 AM

59,342 posts, read 27,505,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post
https://thehill.com/homenews/house/4...am-in-congress

Support for assault weapons ban picking up increasing steam:
"Support for assault weapons ban picking up increasing steam"

You DO KNOW Hoyer is a BIG LIB from liberal la-lal land MD.

Doesn't mater away, the Senate will let it die.

Old 08-15-2019, 05:50 AM

57,410 posts, read 26,355,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
OK. How bout considerably less than100 years. A leftist favorite to bring up, Kent State, Waco, Ruby Ridge the Philadelphia police firebombing and were it not for people with "these types of guns" rest assured the Bundy ranch would have been a massacre.

Carry on regardless.
Sad parts of our history but none of those justify the need for this type of firepower in the hands of civilians, most of those you mentioned could have turned out peacefully if not for guns. The Bundy ranch could have turned out to be a disaster if not for cooler heads at BLM, one of those nuts with an AR-15 could have initiated deaths of many. That was settled in the courts peacefully as it should have been.

Old 08-15-2019, 05:51 AM

57,410 posts, read 26,355,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
Thank God the Founding Fathers knew better, and had the foresight to create the second amendment.
The founding fathers didn't expect someone in body armor with an AR-15 heading into a Walmart mowing down innocent people.

Old 08-15-2019, 07:51 AM

5,462 posts, read 3,046,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
Have you not been reading the posts upthread detailing the atrocities committed by the government against our own people? Do you honestly think nothing like that will ever happen again?
Unfortunately its the irony I find with the republicans. You believe a group of Saudi kids could accurately carry out 9/11 ( and whose hasty investiation didnt have enough funding) and support the 2 decade war, but you still wont believe that the sanest and safest country isnt going to take away your guns.

Like Trump said in the 90s, "If I would ever run , I would run under Republican party. They just watch Fox news and bla bla bla"

Old 08-15-2019, 08:08 AM

18,161 posts, read 15,665,805 times
Quote:
Sad parts of our history but none of those justify the need for this type of firepower in the hands of civilians, most of those you mentioned could have turned out peacefully if not for guns. The Bundy ranch could have turned out to be a disaster if not for cooler heads at BLM, one of those nuts with an AR-15 could have initiated deaths of many. That was settled in the courts peacefully as it should have been.

Indeed. Well. nobody killed at Kent State had any guns. Except the Army (OK NG but it says US ARMY over their left lapel) The Davidians had guns but it was the feds who started shooting. Neither Randy Weaver or his family of which two were killed fired at the feds. And "cooler heads at BLM?" Seriously?

Probably better than half of the "BLM" people at the Bundy ranch were just wearing BLM uniforms. They were contractors. The government intent there was to make an example of the Bundys. Which they fully intended to carry out but they ran into...problems there.

I rather doubt you have ever had to deal with the BLM. I have. They suck. They are federal revenue enforcers. Their policies and methods date back to the 19th century when DC was renting out the Army to the railroads, big mining and cattle barons to stomp on homesteaders. That hasn't changed. Only big money interests have any rights on "Public land."

I have no aspirations of changing your mind here. Your lifestyle doesn't involve firearms or any purpose for firearms. You do and always have relied on the government for protection and security purposes. And you have never run up against government power interfering in your life. Trying to confiscate your personal property by force because you having that property interferes with a big money interest on public land. An interest well connected in DC and the state. I have.

Trust me. There are no "cool heads" at the BLM.

Old 08-15-2019, 09:18 AM

Quote:
"Sad parts of our history but none of those justify the need for this type of firepower in the hands of civilians"

It is the SAME "firepower we have had for 100's of years.

"one of those nuts with an AR-15"

I DOUBT if you even know what an AR15 is!

"The Bundy ranch could have turned out to be a disaster if not for cooler heads at BLM,"

Do you want to talk about Timothy McVeigh or Ruby Ridge?

Old 08-15-2019, 09:21 AM

Quote:
The founding fathers didn't expect someone in body armor with an AR-15 heading into a Walmart mowing down innocent people.
Back the they could have used a CANNON or fired from a warship off the coast which were BOTH owned by CIVILIANS!

Old 08-15-2019, 09:56 AM

1,329 posts, read 834,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heart84 View Post
History is replete with examples of governments that turned tyrannical. The first step is disarming the public, and thus why the framers crafted the 2nd Amendment. And before things turn tyrannical the population always thinks it "can't ever happen to them." I would suggest you also read up on the difference between semi-automatics and fully-automatics as well, and what is takes to legally own a fully-automatic weapon.

And for your point #3, how did our military fare with guerrilla warfare in Vietnam, Iraq, Afghanistan, etc.?

Where are these tyrranical democracies? New Zealand and Australia are hardly tyrranies.

Old 08-15-2019, 09:59 AM

11,239 posts, read 8,332,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
It's very difficult to obtain an assault rifle and expensive too.
So you are saying that those fighting for this right, are really fighting to keep the power where it already exists, in the hands of the very few? That's interesting. Seems like our entire social structure is geared to support the cash-rich elite. Now we have a POTUS who does everything he can to enhance that, and (to his credit, I guess), he's been able to convince those who are most adversely affected by it to be his most vocal, most volatile supporters.

If what you say is true, it seems in contrast to what Trump said he was running to accomplish.... Just saying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies