Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2019, 08:54 AM

50,315 posts, read 47,056,299 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshaBrady1968 View Post
And who is this "enemy"?
I see you are from TX, as am I, and I have lived in almost all parts of the state. NEVER ONCE did I feel like there were "enemies" hiding behind every bush waiting to take my gun or anything else of mine. Just human beings, such as myself.
This is the type of thinking that has to change if we want no more mass shootings. As soon as someone along this line of thinking sees an "enemy" and has the impulse to act on that, if he has an automatic weapon in arms reach, he uses it.
It could be someone who is completely nuts and always has been. Could be someone with impulse control and slightly depressed.
It is our culture which causes the violence. That's a big ship to try to turn around.

Those of us calling for bans on weapons are not saying/ have never hinted that this is a cure. We are only saying that while we work on turning things around, let's stop the bleeding (literally).

Analogy: a 500 lb man who smokes has a heart attack. CPR and bypass surgery do not cure the problem, but they save the life in immediate danger. That's all we are saying.
All you are saying is you want something symbolic. There was no ban, there cannot be one ever until you change the 2nd and confiscate door to door. We bought "assault weapons" or semi auto long guns all through the 94-2004 "ban". Actually, the made up term includes about every type of weapon you can think of except single shot.

What is it with the word "ban" you all are so stuck on? There is what you want it to be and what it ACTUALLY means.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2019, 09:02 AM

1,074 posts, read 641,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
The last gun ban did zero. So you keep passing more laws to make you feel good?
Last gun ban??

Please explain

Old 08-21-2019, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Last gun ban??

Please explain
There already was one for 10 years and it didn't "ban" anything. There is one in California right now and I can buy one today.

There is no such thing as a ban. It's symbolic.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federa...lt_Weapons_Ban

Old 08-21-2019, 09:29 AM

1,074 posts, read 641,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
There already was one for 10 years and it didn't "ban" anything. There is one in California right now and I can buy one today.

There is no such thing as a ban. It's symbolic.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federa...lt_Weapons_Ban
I can completely understand how those on the other side of the debate can think those on my side of the debate (gun control) are just stupid, have not thought it through, etc.
That is not the case however.

I compare it with drugs. If I wanted illegal or by prescription only drugs right now, consider the following:

scenario A: they are illegal. I would have to find someone whom I trusted to even ask about where to get them. They may or may not know, and the networking would start until I ultimately found the dealer, set up the shady transaction, etc. This could take an hour, or a day, or whatever

scenario B: they are legal. I tell my boss I am running an errand, and get in my car, go to the Walmart at the next intersection from my office, and buy the drugs- 10 minutes, and very easy

For the person who might "snap" (see my earlier post) and use the AW, if they have a few more steps to get to the AW, maybe they have time to cool off a bit, become scared to do it, whatever.

Old 08-21-2019, 09:34 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,998,393 times
Quote:
I can completely understand how those on the other side of the debate can think those on my side of the debate (gun control) are just stupid, have not thought it through, etc.

I compare it with drugs. If I wanted illegal or by prescription only drugs right now, consider the following:

scenario A: they are illegal. I would have to find someone whom I trusted to even ask about where to get them. They may or may not know, and the networking would start until I ultimately found the dealer, set up the shady transaction, etc. This could take an hour, or a day, or whatever

scenario B: they are legal. I tell my boss I am running an errand, and get in my car, go to the Walmart at the next intersection from my office, and buy the drugs- 10 minutes, and very easy

For the person who might "snap" (see my earlier post) and use the AW, if they have a few more steps to get to the AW, maybe they have time to cool off a bit, become scared to do it, whatever.

AW as in an automatic weapon?

There are many steps and one them includes having over 10 thousand dollars (in most cases)!

Old 08-21-2019, 09:38 AM

Quote:

Maybe, might, could, perhaps aren't measurable and are basically crystal ball stuff. You would be hard pressed to find hardly any cases of anyone being arrested with the made up term assault weapon in any of the States with a ban.

Look up something called an 80% lower receiver if you want to see how uselessly stupid said laws are. Any felon can have one shipped to their house all legally.

If the goal is to p*ss off legal Americans with these dumb laws, well, it's working. We vote.

Old 08-21-2019, 09:58 AM

4,798 posts, read 3,509,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aileesic View Post
When people are "evil," does not matter how they are brought up. But if course, nobody cares.
Some kids are brought up to be evil, haters, racists etc.
Influence if you culture, society, friends, family etx

Old 08-21-2019, 10:43 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
Quote:
Last gun ban??

Please explain
Bill Clinton ban semi auto rifles... when they were wooden stocks.
Mini-14's and Ranch Rifles, where basically currency, back then.
Coumbine happened during the semi-auto rifle ban.

Old 08-21-2019, 10:46 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve40th View Post
Some kids are brought up to be evil, haters, racists etc.
Influence if you culture, society, friends, family etx
Dominance, is not only a human trait.
Western civilization teaches we are all equal. You hurt me, I hurt you harder type of thing.

Old 08-21-2019, 11:00 AM

23,561 posts, read 17,232,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
For years now, we on this forum, and other online outlets, have been discussing guns, weapons, and causes of gun violence, but no cure.

What would you suggest as a permanent cure to all the violence, and back it up with HOW you would solve the issue.

Bob.
first I would define mass shooting to include the daily slaughter in cities like Chicago, which dwarf what is now generally considered a mass shooting.

The media must show restraint in reporting details and numbers. With instant communications we clearly have copy cat shootings. the media to date, has provided lessons learned for the next shooter. the media challenges the next wack job with the 'number killed'. With a video game mentality, where high score is the goal, printing, a 'record number of people were killed' is a direct challenge to top that 'score'. Latest potential shooter claimed he could kill 100 people!

the media must refrain from providing the strategy used by killers. such as reporting fire alarms were set off to concentrate students outside where the shooters were waiting. what the heck, why provide a 'how to manual' for the next killer!

Prosecute people who lie on federal and state forms required to purchase a gun, don't punish honest mistake.

type, 'guns stolen.....' and name a city or state and see the thousands of guns now available on the streets. Measure this against the guns purchased at gun shows to focus on stolen guns instead of creating a false trail with minimal effect intened to curtail the legal sale of firearms. As inner city mass shooting are now included in the definition of mass shootings, stolen guns are a problem.

Create laws which help to prevent guns from being stolen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

forget psychiatrists, ask school kids who the wack jobs are.

Release JV records!

Make sure agencies immediately update NICS database. Prosecution for failure to do so.

Make sure NICS checks are run within minutes not weeks or months. NJ for instance had a month long wait while at the same time in Maine it took a few minutes. How can accessing a database cause a backlog??????????

Challenge anti gun lies and slight of hand in regard to 'facts'. Average gang member is 15 years of age. Media calls and categorizes a gangland shootout involving under killers under 18 as children. the claim so many children are killed each year by firearms.

School shootings means and crime on school property by non students is a school shooting. When you have a president claim the safest places have the strictest gun laws, this is intentionally laying a false trail to ensure more murders take place to provide ammunition for anti gun advocates. Where was the media when Obama tried to sell that lie???? Ft Hood classified as work place violence is a symptom of liberal activism which prevents components of firearm violence to be considered. Violence is a complex problem and until ALL aspects are included in an honest discussion without concern for hurting someone's feelings, the problem will never be solved. Probably a reason inner city murder victims are reduced to clinical numbers while shootings which activists use to batter gun owners are told in terms of personal stories of anguish. Are not the inner city victims worthy of the same treatment????? Why the difference in reporting by the media??????????

Restrain activist judges and prosecutors from going after low hanging fruit of honest people guilty of an administrative error. Case in point, DC has been waging a multi year long prosecution of a guy who had an empty shell casing on his desk. Meanwhile DC is suffering from violence that goes unhindered because of redirected effort at the innocent.

Mental health opportunities must be internalized in every possible situation to screen as many people as possible in need of help. Consider that only the smallest portion of mentally ill are committing crimes.

Consider eric holder gave guns away to drug cartels, consider CA sentaor Yee, an anti gun activist, sold weapons of war, real weapons of war, to anyone with cash! Anyone tracing these firearms and linking them to killings?????

This year a career criminal/gang member was released form prison by a parole board. NJ has very strict gun laws and a 3 year mandatory! the guy attends an all night festival a week or so after release and takes out revenge on a rival gang member and shoots innocent bystanders. guv murphy responds and reduced mag cap from 15 rounds to 10.

what is going on in prisons, the justice system and parole boards?????????????????????

Obama released violent criminals claiming they were non violent. Sure the prosecutor went for a quick win and got a violent offender to agree to plead guilty to a non violent offense. Looks good on his resume!

there are millions of legal and illegal guns out there. An infinitesimal amount are used in crimes. To go after all of them, to catch the few, is moronic. It also reveals the accumulation of ineffective gun laws as the sole solution to gun violence lives in the realm of insanity. In pursuit of the academic theory of 'no guns equates to no gun violence', innocent lives are willingly sacrificed to achieve this unobtainable fantasy. Like claiming the cure for cancer depends on your hair style. That is idiotic, yet over and over we see proposals for more regs of diminishing return!

Another false trail is that violent crime involving firearms is equally distributed across cities, states and country. Place a pin in a map and note the clusters. that should be an obvious clue to bring the discussion back on track and in focus. Again, until the problem can be looked at without social restrain, killings will continue.

Hey, if you like your firearms you can keep your firearms....PERIOD! trust me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies