Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2019, 03:43 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,875,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Yup, another Facebook vent/rant.

People these days must be so grateful they have an instant potential audience of millions to vent out their every little slights.

Though I do feel the woman was completely out of line to tell the Airman that.

"A member of the Air Force stationed in Hawaii is getting support nationally after a woman told her it was “distasteful” to speak Spanish while in uniform.

The incident happened last month, when Xiara Mercado was at a Starbucks near Hickam Air Force Base, where she’s stationed.

Mercado, who is from Puerto Rico, said she was speaking to someone on the phone in Spanish as she was waiting for her drink.

After she left the store and was in the parking lot, a woman tapped her on the shoulder.

“You shouldn’t be speaking Spanish," the woman told Mercado, according to a post on Facebook that’s since gone viral. "That’s not what that uniform represents. It’s distasteful.”"
https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2019/0...m-distasteful/
Yep. Because one person said it, this little crybaby whines about it?

Hopefully this person will never see a battlefield. "I can't go out there and fight because they made a remark about me speaking spanish".

Old 08-11-2019, 03:56 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,179,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Yep. Because one person said it, this little crybaby whines about it?

Hopefully this person will never see a battlefield. "I can't go out there and fight because they made a remark about me speaking spanish".
The whiner is the woman who took issue with someone speaking another language. The airman was right to call it out.

Old 08-11-2019, 07:21 AM

6,915 posts, read 3,954,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
I agree with the woman who said it was distasteful. Spanish speakers especially latin American in public speak a very grating dialect of Spanish very loudly and I find it repulsive and distasteful.
And if she was speaking to relatives from PR who don't speak English? My ex is Puerto Rican; a lot of his family on the island can only speak Spanish.

And please... I'm willing to bet you can't tell the difference between one dialect and another. One set of slang terms and another (I used to know quite a bit of Dominican and Puerto Rican slang). Or pronunciation/accent from one country to another.

And here's an FYI - people from Spain don't even all speak the same dialect. Spain actually has multiple official languages, Castilian Spanish is but one of them.

Old 08-11-2019, 07:25 AM

19,724 posts, read 10,131,910 times
What if she had turned around and corrected the other woman's English. Many in this country speak very poor English.

Old 08-11-2019, 07:38 AM

62,972 posts, read 29,162,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
What if she had turned around and corrected the other woman's English. Many in this country speak very poor English.
Native born English speakers who make up the majority in this country do not speak very poor English so who are you talking about? They learned English from their parents and are taught in English in our schools.

Old 08-11-2019, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Native born English speakers who make up the majority in this country do not speak very poor English so who are you talking about? They learned English from their parents and are taught in English in our schools.
Go look on Facebook. Most young people can't spell and use very poor English.

Old 08-11-2019, 08:24 AM

62,972 posts, read 29,162,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Go look on Facebook. Most young people can't spell and use very poor English.
Your so-called most on Facebook is not true just for starters and they certainly don't represent the majority of Americans out in mainstream. So sick of people demonizing English speaking Americans just so they can defend Spanish speakers in our country.

Old 08-11-2019, 08:32 AM

30,640 posts, read 18,242,637 times
The woman was out of line for telling the airman what she did and should have kept her fat trap shut. That said, I don't know why what one nut said is making such waves.

Old 08-11-2019, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Your so-called most on Facebook is not true just for starters and they certainly don't represent the majority of Americans out in mainstream. So sick of people demonizing English speaking Americans just so they can defend Spanish speakers in our country.
I went straight into the army out of high school. I am now taking college classes to prove to myself that I can. The majority of students cannot spell and cannot use proper English. Most Spanish speakers also speak very poor Spanish. And yes I do speak enough Spanish to know.

Old 08-11-2019, 08:35 AM

13,561 posts, read 10,361,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latimeria View Post
Oh there are indeed people in this country who really, really, REALLY care if you speak Spanish or any other language in this country. Want only English. So I can totally see someone thinking someone representing America in uniform should only speak English.

Never mind that there could have been military related reasons to speak Spanish. Or that Puerto Rico (where she is from) , an official US territory and thus a part of our country, has Spanish as an official language. Or that people should mind their own business and learn to ignore stuff like this.
Yup....oldglory has already sounded off. Too predictable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies