Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2019, 11:57 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,826,533 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
People are so ignorant. She responded well. This is a free country and speaking Spanish on the phone she pays for is her right. She should have also told her that the military pays extra for those who speak Spanish and other foreign languages. So her Spanish serves this country well.
You get no extra pay for this. You have to be in a billet for utilization of a language to receive extra pay.

Old 08-27-2019, 07:23 AM

62,971 posts, read 29,162,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirmione904 View Post
I have seen many Americans living overseas who don’t speak local language especially in Asia. A guy I met in South Korea was married to a Korean woman but could not talk to taxi driver in Korean at all, even “go right, left, straight” after living there for 7 years. I wonder if the people complaining about immigrants not speaking English could learn/speak foreign language once they had to live overseas.
Any immigrant who moves here should learn and speak English after a reasonable time. When Americans move abroad they should learn the native language likewise so where's the double standard? Just because some in either party doesn't choose to does not make it right and that's the point!

Old 08-27-2019, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
I'm 'condoning' anyone's invasion before about 1930 under right of conquest that was basically followed and recognized by everyone, Indians and colonist, before that point. But that is no longer recognized since. Besides, even then there was always the right to resist invasion.
Yes, it's a silly notion that the early Europeans invaded this country as those who came before them were not native to this country/continent either. It was a different world back then. Conquest was the norm and there were no established governments, borders or immigration laws. Sick of this silly argument that somehow in these modern times with established borders, governments and immigration laws illegal immigration should not be opposed based on a long ago past.

Old 08-27-2019, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eumaois View Post
Because after English, I believe Spanish is the most-spoken first language in this country. Also, with the waves of Spanish-speaking immigrants we get so often, knowing Spanish might help give us an idea of why those Spanish-speakers came here!
So what? English is our national de facto language, not Spanish. Yeah, these waves of Spanish speaking illegal aliens (not immigrants) is a reason to learn these invader's language? I couldn't care less why they are coming here they have no legal right to. It's common knowledge why they come here anyway. We don't have to learn their language to find out. What a silly idea!

Old 08-27-2019, 07:32 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,389,243 times
Quote:
I agree with the woman who said it was distasteful. Spanish speakers especially latin American in public speak a very grating dialect of Spanish very loudly and I find it repulsive and distasteful.

I'm wholly unsurprised on your stance here.

What is "distasteful" about it, in your opinion?

Old 08-27-2019, 10:26 AM

48,534 posts, read 34,873,169 times
Our airmen, may speak whatever language they want on private conversations. I don't care if it is freakin' Klingon.

(Our airmen, and anyone else for that matter)

A lot of elderly and relatives are not fluent in English (don't get uptight, a lot of them live in other countries), and you can only talk to them in whatever language they speak.

I'm cracking up because Spanish is not a big language here, Filipino, Chinese, Japanese, Hawaiian and Korean ARE spoken regularly.

A lot of Caucasians do not do well here, it is not considered a big loss.

And I'm sure no one here cares if some delicate flower was triggered by hearing another language.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 08-27-2019, 10:37 AM

13,561 posts, read 10,361,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Any immigrant who moves here should learn and speak English after a reasonable time. When Americans move abroad they should learn the native language likewise so where's the double standard? Just because some in either party doesn't choose to does not make it right and that's the point!
It doesn't preclude them from speaking other languages to friends, family members or other people as the situation dictates. Again, it's a private conversation and none of your darned business!

Old 08-27-2019, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Everything that happens in this country is to a degree my business. If illegal aliens, or legal Spanish speakers for that matter, are disturbing me with their loud repulsive speech 100 yards away, it becomes my business. If I don't want to hear loud, unpleasant foreign languages that's my preference.
Uh, no. You're just bugged out because of your own prejudices.

If you tried that with me I would tell you in no uncertain terms to MYOB. In English, Mandarin, Cantonese, Japanese AND Spanish.

There ain't no law that legislates anyone to act on your being triggered by hearing Spanish. So deal with it, or just go have a Diet Coke and a smile.

Last edited by silverkris; 08-27-2019 at 11:36 AM..

Old 08-27-2019, 11:43 AM

19,966 posts, read 7,879,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Uh, no. You're just bugged out because of your own prejudices.

If you tried that with me I would tell you in no uncertain terms to MYOB. In English, Mandarin, Cantonese, Japanese AND Spanish.

There ain't no law that legislates anyone to act on your being triggered by hearing Spanish. So deal with it, or just go have a Diet Coke and a smile.
If I have to increasingly listen to more and more people making incoherent, loud and unpleasant speech, then it is my business why that is. The reason why it is because of open borders and mass, global immigration. That is my business.

Old 08-27-2019, 11:45 AM

Quote:
If I have to increasingly listen to more and more people making incoherent, loud and unpleasant speech, then it is my business why that is. The reason why it is because of open borders, and mass immigration. That is my business.
Nope. Plenty of US citizens are Spanish speakers. Plenty of them were around in your grandfather's time and before then. You'll just have to keep getting triggered and upset. Not a way to live, amigo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies