Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2019, 10:22 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,361,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post

I don't have a problem with people speaking a foreign language here. BUT I DO find it concerning that so many immigrants refuse to learn our language and insist that we speak a foreign language in our own country to cater to them. This refusal to learn English is especially widespread among Mexican and other Latin American immigrants. There's also more of a trend where even the children of immigrants are given Spanish first names instead of American first names and many still follow the naming conventinos of their country with two last names, etc vs do it the American way with a first name and a last name and maybe ONE middle name.
Wrong again.

Latino immigrants assimilate and acquire the English language just as fast as anyone else. Just because they speak Spanish in public and among themselves doesn't mean they can't or won't speak Spanish.

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/ar...ended-right-in

What people name their kid is their own business, and if they want to give their child a traditional name, more power to them. Indian Americans tend to name their kids traditional names. Heck, your state's former governor Bobby Jindal's given name was Piyush. So is your name Billy Joe Jim Bob Chang?

Old 08-11-2019, 10:39 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,118,686 times
Quote:
The person who made those comments was out of line. Part of freedom of speech is that people have a right to speak a foreign language. NOw yes, speaking Spanish makes you appear less American, but people most definitely have the right to speak the language of their country even when they come here.

I don't have a problem with people speaking a foreign language here. BUT I DO find it concerning that so many immigrants refuse to learn our language and insist that we speak a foreign language in our own country to cater to them. This refusal to learn English is especially widespread among Mexican and other Latin American immigrants. There's also more of a trend where even the children of immigrants are given Spanish first names instead of American first names and many still follow the naming conventinos of their country with two last names, etc vs do it the American way with a first name and a last name and maybe ONE middle name.
Oh wow.. That's a pretty hilarious thing to be upset about..

Old 08-11-2019, 10:48 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,879,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
Oh wow.. That's a pretty hilarious thing to be upset about..
Yeah just tell us what we should think and accept why don't you.

It's just flat rude and unacceptable to constantly break into a country, help yourself to whatever you can get and congregate and speak loudly and unpleasantly in a foreign language in public and never even try to assimilate. I think that might be why some people's patience with Spanish has worn thin.

Old 08-11-2019, 11:00 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,954,808 times
Quote:
There's also more of a trend where even the children of immigrants are given Spanish first names instead of American first names and many still follow the naming conventinos of their country with two last names, etc vs do it the American way with a first name and a last name and maybe ONE middle name.
Why is that any of your business what names they choose for their children???? And FYI every name you think of as "American" actually has its roots somewhere else.

Using ethnic names is not a "trend," it's been happening for years. Everyone I know who is 1st or 2nd or even 3td generation American has a name that reflects their mother or father culture. My 1st name is Norwegian, as is my mother's, my father's first name is actually his Sephardic Jewish paternal grandmother's maiden name.

As for the last names I know of one person who took on a 2nd last name - my Puerto Rican ex when his mother died he started using her maiden last name after his own, out of RESPECT for her.

Old 08-11-2019, 11:29 PM

5,765 posts, read 11,379,295 times
I started learning Spanish as a second language around Kindergarten age, and I attended a bilingual school for many years in SF Bay area in CA. I have used Spanish as one of my daily languages for most of my life.

While I served in the US Army in the mid-1970s, after basic training and AIT I was stationed in Germany for the remainder of my 4 year enlistment. Unlike the vast majority of US troops in Germany at the time, I studied German in evening classes. I spoke German frequently when I was on duty, often while working or training with troops from the German Bundeswehr (Army). Was I being distasteful? Often, I spoke German while I was interacting with German civilians, while I was in my US Army uniform. I thought I was being friendly, trying to show respect to the people in the country where I was stationed. Was I distasteful?

I had some fellow soldiers in my unit from Puerto Rico. I was from California, and had never known anyone from PR. I got to know them real well over a period of 3 years, and we spoke in Spanish on duty and off duty. Spanish was their first language, and they knew enough English to get by, but struggled with fluent conversation in English. They were glad to have another friend to talk to without language barriers (besides some slang from PR that I did not always get). Was it distasteful for me to make friends with and communicate in Spanish with my fellow soldiers from PR, who were also citizens of the United States?

Old 08-12-2019, 12:31 AM

10,681 posts, read 6,118,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
Yeah just tell us what we should think and accept why don't you.

It's just flat rude and unacceptable to constantly break into a country, help yourself to whatever you can get and congregate and speak loudly and unpleasantly in a foreign language in public and never even try to assimilate. I think that might be why some people's patience with Spanish has worn thin.
All just petty my dude..

Old 08-12-2019, 02:13 AM

19,848 posts, read 12,110,307 times
While woman who made the comment was rude, why does every stupid encounter require a FB gripe thread? I don’t see what the problem is with the soldier speaking Spanish in her uniform so I do sympathize with her but it seems petty for there to be a news article over a comment.

Old 08-12-2019, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
All just petty my dude..
That's the problem with Hispanics thinking breaking into the country, colonizing it and being a pest shouldn't be a problem to anyone.

Old 08-12-2019, 09:36 AM

73,032 posts, read 62,634,962 times
People speaking Spanish in public doesn't bother me. Never has. I have 99 other issues to worry about. What language a person speaks is not one of them.

Old 08-12-2019, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
People speaking Spanish in public doesn't bother me. Never has. I have 99 other issues to worry about. What language a person speaks is not one of them.
It wouldn't necessarily bother me if some Americans spoke Spanish or gibberish in public per se. But if people are coming here illegally or even properly immigrated, are refusing to learn and speak English and making a racket, I want them to leave or be removed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies