Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2019, 06:29 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,745,966 times

Advertisements

Every since President Trump was running for the presidency we became even more aware of buying American made stuff.

We do not buy only American made, but over the years we started at first to eliminate China manufactured pet food and never bought a Japanese car but only US brand cars.

Most items we buy will therefore be US made and if we have to choose or can choose then we don’t mind to pay a little bit more for US made.

Therefore the tariffs are not seen by us as a tax to the public but a choice you make to support the Country.

I wonder what others do or think about this subject.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2019, 06:34 PM

8,498 posts, read 4,741,154 times
I don’t go by place, but by value. That doesn’t always mean the cheapest, but a product which offers maximum quality per $. That’s not traditionally China’s strong suit, but Euro and Japanese products can compete well.

Does something manufactured in the US by a foreign company count as American?

I rarely check country of origin, but if I notice something’s made here it can settle a tie.

Old 08-13-2019, 06:35 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,476,450 times
If I have a choice between similar price and quality I chose

1. American
2. Canada / Japan / S Korea / W Europe / Australia / New Zealand (good laws protecting workers and environment)
3. Latin American & Haiti - those jobs help stabilize nations that we have illegal immigration problems with
4. Anywhere else not named China
--
5. Last and least - China. Like the culture but dislike how the play outside the trade rules and get away with it.

Old 08-13-2019, 06:42 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,672,796 times
How many people just don't bother to look at the origin of any item they buy? That includes food, you know.

Old 08-13-2019, 06:44 PM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times
I prefer a German car.

.. everything else, either made in Japan, or made in America.

I don't go out of my ways to avoid Made in China items, but if I have to pay more for Made in America goods, then that is fine by me too.

Old 08-13-2019, 06:46 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,219,693 times
I oppose China's policies and I try to avoid Chinese products where practical but I have not blacklisted Chinese products and do not diligently read labels. Where it comes to my attention and where I have a feasible alternative I will take it.

Old 08-13-2019, 06:54 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,879,282 times
I always avoid buying Chines made when I can. Somethings you can't because the Chinese monopolize the industry or the item has Chinese made components.

In the USA I bought Speed Queen washer and Dryer. I will never own a Chinese made car or anything else labeled Made in China.

Old 08-13-2019, 06:58 PM

29,823 posts, read 24,908,096 times
I buy stuff from all over, much of it for resale. I prefer to let the consumer decide. As of late, my sales of American made stuff (much of it made by me) have crashed. I assume leftist's hatred for America has reached a point where they are boycotting made in America goods, but who knows. Doesn't bother me, as I could use a vacation and will stay out of the shop until fall. I've been meaning to take a vacation for quite some time, but was always too busy with work.

20,955 posts, read 8,674,856 times
Just got a car made....in Brazil, Mexico, Canada and Japan (VW)....

The whole idea of "buying American" is ridiculous when a Honda (or other example) is made by highly paid Americans and of American supplied parts (usually 50% or so)...

Globalization started in 1600. It doesn't stop because a bunch of know-nothings decides it's the root of their problems or the way to win an election. Areas where I live and frequent have booming local economies - and even industries (everything from Raytheon to Yankee Candle to United Technologies, etc.)...

The only part that concerns me - and this is a long run situation - is both the human rights and environmental aspects. That's why we have Trade and International Agreements...and why, as both an owner and a stockholder, many companies these days are seeking to take more care with their products and supply chains (Apple is one example....many others).

In the end I have more respect for a Chinese hard-working moral family person than I do for a lazy American (just giving that as an example...I'm sure there are lazy Chinese and hard working Americans)....

We are all one. IMHO.

Just for fun I've been asking around my extended family to see if any of the various parents would be happy if their children worked on a car assembly line here in the USA. Despite the decent pay and steady job....so far 100% of the answers have been in the negative. Not to say plenty of people won't take the job, but my take (and there is evidence for this) is that they are doing it for the money (survival) only and not to "make the best car every day for personal growth".

A lot of manufacturing assembly line work fits the description similar to Fast Food...that is, what you do on the way to something else. Even in the Detroit of 50 years ago the line workers hated it....(at 2X the current pay!).

732 posts, read 390,784 times
I go to some trouble, but it's difficult sometimes. Shoes are pretty hard outside of higher end leather boots (there is New Balance and a few European brands of athletic shoes). Clothes are practically impossible. Hand tools are easy, cordless are impossible outside of Snap-on. I doubt I'll ever buy a late-model car again, so no worries. Anything that uses electricity, pretty darned hard to avoid China.

You gotta wonder what sort of public policy sent the US down the road where we can't make our own shoes or washing machines anymore. It's a national security issue at this point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies