Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2019, 07:48 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,682,105 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
I look at origin on everything I buy. Don’t go to Walmart so I avoid the Chinese garbage. I don’t buy Mexican garbage either.
What
car
computer
router
smartphone
cameras

do you own and use?

How about your household appliances? Carrier makes most stuff in Mexico.

I looked hard on Amazon and even on some other sites that make stuff I bought....no Country of Origin stated.

Some of this may be due to the supply chains. I'd be very surprised if my Mexican assembled VW didn't have at least 20 countries represented (maybe more!) inside.

Brains are the currency of the new world and as long as the US "makes" more of those we will be fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2019, 07:50 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,281,778 times
I have not noticed any reduction in Chinese products or increase in US made products. It's pretty much business as usual. Tariffs have been pretty much a red herring too. Haven't noticed any price increases either.

Old 08-13-2019, 08:03 PM

3,319 posts, read 2,341,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewjdeg View Post
The only American car I would consider is a Tesla, or maybe a Ford. Chrysler and GM have been pretty awful for decades.
Don't tell that to the three excellent GM trucks I've owned. Nothing but gas, oil and tires.

Teslas don't fare so well on the reliability charts. A quick Google search will leave you with page after page of complaints.

We can agree Chrylser is awful.

Old 08-13-2019, 08:29 PM

9,742 posts, read 4,498,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Every since President Trump was running for the presidency we became even more aware of buying American made stuff.

We do not buy only American made, but over the years we started at first to eliminate China manufactured pet food and never bought a Japanese car but only US brand cars.

Most items we buy will therefore be US made and if we have to choose or can choose then we don’t mind to pay a little bit more for US made.

Therefore the tariffs are not seen by us as a tax to the public but a choice you make to support the Country.

I wonder what others do or think about this subject.
Never bought a japanese car? Honda Accord is the most american made car.

Old 08-13-2019, 08:38 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,068,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
We make plenty of shoes....

Handcrafted or other such labels don't count. If you are truly looking for something made in the USA it will say "Made in the USA" without qualification. It's the one label that is regulated, the product can only contain a negligible amount of foreign materials. E.g if it were shoes the adhesive might be foreign made.

Old 08-13-2019, 08:39 PM

1,503 posts, read 608,006 times
For something critical/complicated I prefer reputable brand.
For everything else I go for the best price/quality ratio.
No, I don't care what's made where.

For example, I just recently bought an inflatable boat.
Achilles SPD-330E; company was established in Japan, now it's global with some manufacturing done in US; CSM material is made in Japan, then glued in China (? - not sure).
Wheels - made in Canada.
Oars - made in US with aluminum from Russia.
Electrical motor - Golden Motors S20; made in China; the best US competitor is twice heavier.
Batteries - China (LiPoFe4 48V x 200AH): price was $1900 vs $9000 of the similar ones "made" in US (in fact both are made from the same Panasonic cells and same Chinese BMS, it's just for the "made in US" sticker you'd pay extra $7K).

Old 08-13-2019, 09:07 PM

15,534 posts, read 10,507,413 times
I stopped buying Chinese stuff years ago.

Old 08-13-2019, 09:13 PM

9,742 posts, read 4,498,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
What device are you typing on right now? Lots of "american" brands are made in china. And most have some components that come form china.

Old 08-13-2019, 09:29 PM

732 posts, read 391,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
We make plenty of shoes...cars...and appliances.....vast amounts.

I'm gonna check my nice New Balance pair bought off Amazon....nope, even the 90 dollar model is Vietnam.

Stop being so cheap. New Balance 990,997,996,998. Probably some foreign content. New Balance is well-known for being about the only athletic shoe manufacturer with some US manufacturing. Good for them.

Just look at Amazon shoes for sale. How many aren't made in Asia? 5%? 2%? less than 1%?

I didn't mention cars at all aside from not personally caring.

US made appliances, 'vast' amounts. Ya, sure. Final assembly on a minority of a few company's product lines. A concept that dies over time as offshoring continues, not just because of labor costs but the supply chain has moved overseas.

One that bugs me has been watching US-manufactured electronics move lines overseas over the last 40 years at various employers.

I just picked a single product purely at random, a Frigidaire Freezer 'made' in the US:

"FFFH20F2QW Frigidaire 20.2 Cu. Ft. Upright Freezer - White Code: 16345 Manufacturer: Frigidaire Model #: FFFH20F2QW. Designed, enginereed and assembled in the U.S.A. Appliances that are high-performing, more accessible, and more innovative than ever. Our bright lighting makes it easy to see what's inside."

"assembled"

Old 08-13-2019, 09:39 PM

732 posts, read 391,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
Unlikely if you're not typing this post via telepathy.

While it's not all Chinese (components can be from Taiwan, Malaysia, Indonesia), the US has found itself in the precarious position of being utterly dependent on some part of a foreign supply chain with an increasing inability to dig it's way out of this position. Another tendency is towards single points of failure in a supply chain due to a push for efficiency/low cost.

Dependency on China is rather like depending on Russia to keep the heat going I guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies