Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2019, 05:16 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,873,169 times

Advertisements

Let me vent further on Kitchen Aid: freezer keeps icing over (repaired once), 3 lights went out at once, and door water started raining from the top of inside fridge, dishwasher repaired once, lights are hit or miss on range hood, and repairman can't figure it out, and like above, the microwave started turning on by itself, and while past warranty, the sent me some money.

Does anyone know where Kitchen Aid is made?

..Oh. Looks like mainly US for appliances, but I think some smaller stuff is made in Canada and China.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2019, 06:00 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,050,894 times
[quote=Drewjdeg;55929032]Buying an American car is a bad deal, especially because the Japanese source more parts from American suppliers, and 95% of "Japanese" cars are made in the America these days.

The only American car I would consider is a Tesla, or maybe a Ford. Chrysler and GM have been pretty awful for decades.[/quote]

I buy American made whenever possible. So here are the cars I have bought new over the years.

Datsun truck......Japan
Chevy S-10........US last GM product I ever bought....for good reason.

Honda Accord.....US
Dodge Ram 2500.Mexico
Honda Pilot.........Canada
Dodge Ram 3500..Mexico
Toyota Rav.........US

Honda and Toyota make great American made cars. I would buy a good full-sized American truck, but really no choice other than those made in Mexico by Fiat.

Old 08-16-2019, 10:44 PM

732 posts, read 391,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
When they have 5X as many people as we do and the work ethic...and, of course, to protect themselves against crazy people like Trump.

1.5 Billion people is enough to create a world in itself. 320 Million, largely spoiled or jaded....Americans cannot.

Europeans must be stupid also...like Canadians. They all have universal health care. Why don't we?
It was a joke. Of course the Chinese act in a self-interested fashion.

Dunno what Trump has to do with it, although he sure lives in peoples' heads rent free.

Old 08-16-2019, 10:52 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,230,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
What
car
computer
router
smartphone
cameras

do you own and use?

How about your household appliances? Carrier makes most stuff in Mexico.

I looked hard on Amazon and even on some other sites that make stuff I bought....no Country of Origin stated.

Some of this may be due to the supply chains. I'd be very surprised if my Mexican assembled VW didn't have at least 20 countries represented (maybe more!) inside.

Brains are the currency of the new world and as long as the US "makes" more of those we will be fine.
My vehicles made in Detroit.

My computer I built with US components.

Household appliances made in US.

My Leica made in Germany.

Old 08-16-2019, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post

..Oh. Looks like mainly US for appliances, but I think some smaller stuff is made in Canada and China.
Another bit of appliance magic is the not-so-light hand of the government. Check out the fuss with the change in Speed Queen washing machines between 2017 and 2018. Oddly, efficiency costs money.

My guess is that modern appliances are run right up to the limit on cheapness of build since, like modern cordless tools, the microcontrollers will back the machine off if it is approaching some limit. This allows cheaper components. Plus, you can essentially guarantee that the controller boards will a)fail and b) be unavailable in not that many years.

Old 08-16-2019, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
My vehicles made in Detroit.

My computer I built with US components.

Household appliances made in US.

My Leica made in Germany.
Dunno about the Leica, but the rest are less US-built than you might think I wager (if built in the last decade).

Most modern companies have gone away from vertical integration in manufacture, the parts are made Lord-knows-where, and final assembly doesn't really count as 'made-in'.

Old 08-16-2019, 11:08 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,758,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrawberrySoup View Post
I wonder sometimes if the reverse is true. Could the Chinese do without US-made goods entirely? I don't doubt that they are planning with that in mind.

The endgame:

. China owns beaucoup US .gov bonds
. China is the sole source for a lot of everyday items, including the supply chain to make them
. China is self-sufficient with the exception of raw materials bought through long-term contracts/ownership in the 3rd world
. China becomes self-sufficient at all levels including aerospace, CPU design, software, heavy industrial equipment

The further you go down that road, the less polite they are going to be. Bank on it.
Absolutely.

This trade war may be inconvenient timing for them, but they don't lose sight of where they're going. Being dependent on the US for anything is not in their plans. This will just confirm to them that their goals are worth striving for.

Old 08-16-2019, 11:16 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,118,686 times
I honestly don’t check. But when I worked at Depot, Id have constant questions about “is this made in the U.S.?”
Often the answer was no.. Til’ DeWalt started shipping products with boxes saying “made in the U.S.”

Old 08-16-2019, 11:42 PM

14,776 posts, read 8,115,126 times
I have tried to.
The last car that I bought was American -made (although that it is a relative term, most of the parts come from overseas....Here in Kentucky we make Toyota's -one of the largest employers in the area... while some of he American companies build some of their cars overseas....the waters get Murky on this subject) and two years ago when it was time to replace our washer and dryer I bought American made (Whirlpool).
But, alas I work for a living and have a budget I must adhere to, so I can't always buy American...sometimes it is just too expensive...or the quality isn't as good as others when cost/comparisons are made - I have to be practical here.
But, I try to consider that.

Old 08-17-2019, 12:36 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,826,533 times
I do not care where it is made, only quality and price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies