Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2019, 10:04 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,754,224 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Every since President Trump was running for the presidency we became even more aware of buying American made stuff.

We do not buy only American made, but over the years we started at first to eliminate China manufactured pet food and never bought a Japanese car but only US brand cars.

Most items we buy will therefore be US made and if we have to choose or can choose then we don’t mind to pay a little bit more for US made.

Therefore the tariffs are not seen by us as a tax to the public but a choice you make to support the Country.

I wonder what others do or think about this subject.
I actively avoid buying Chinese consumer goods if I can. Sometimes I can't, though. In those cases, I try to buy from an American retailer.

BTW, US brand cars are not necessarily made in the US, and I know of NO US brand cars that don't include parts from Japan, Germany, Mexico, etc., and, no doubt, from China.

For me, it's not a tariff/price issue.

While I'm sure that Chinese high-end manufacturing is world-class, their consumer goods often suck. It's also an issue of human rights, many (most?) Chinese factories producing consumer goods are essentially slave operations.

I've been making these choices for a good 20 years. I didn't require Trump to become aware of these issues. I learned about them in places like Mother Jones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2019, 10:17 AM

3,405 posts, read 2,736,177 times
If I "need" rubber dog poop I'll buy "made in china"....otherwise I'm done with China, wherever possible. I look for US, Japanese, or German made items. Better yet, if you're suffering failure after failure of things like blenders and electric can openers, find yourself an ugly 70's era GE or equal at a garage sale, the things last forever. Being a tinkerer and the kind of guy that takes things apart when they break, I can tell you the Chinese cut corners wherever possible. Magnets are glued into electric motors with contact cement and pop loose, jamming the motor. Motor windings have no epoxy on them, and the wire is poorly coated so the motor developing a short or flinging a winding off is common. The bushings in my last DVD player were plastic and *designed to wear out* shortly after warranty so I'd have to buy another one.

Old 08-14-2019, 10:44 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,180,569 times
I try very hard to avoid Chinese products and buy American instead. Otherwise, I love Japanese and European products.

Old 08-14-2019, 10:58 AM

59,088 posts, read 27,330,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
Finding American made stuff is not easy. Anything manufactured with multiple parts is likely partly made in one or even several foreign countries. A good part of our food comes from outside the US. We live in a globalized economy; there is no putting that genie back in the bottle at this point.
"Finding American made stuff is not easy

Its NOT that hard.

"Discover 800+ Made in USA companies! Shop Made in America Homewares, Kitchen Item, Clothes, Apparel, Jeans, Denim, Footwear, Shoes, Food, Tools, Pet Items & much more. Proudly dedicated to American Made since 2013.*We are not a verification organization. Please verify the item(s) you intend to purchase are Made in USA before placing any order."

https://www.madeinamerica.co/pages/thelist

Old 08-14-2019, 05:55 PM

15,074 posts, read 10,108,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Every place I've been in the world, that's how the consumer makes their purchases.
Never said otherwise... But this is about Americans making choices...

Also, some countries have a lot more latitude controlling what is or is not available to the customer.... For many years all vehicles in India had to be made in India: the Pajero was a rebadge and locally built Montero. China doesn't allow just anyone to sell wares to their citizens.

But that's besides the point. Thread is about Americans and saying otherwise is really two things.. A distraction from the painful direction we are headed and irrevelant to this thread. Oh and the obvious elephant in the room that no politician wants to address... That American labor in manufacturing is no longer competitive. They are OK with it because their rich pocket liners make a killing off cheap labor overseas.

Old 08-15-2019, 05:39 AM

59,088 posts, read 27,330,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
Never said otherwise... But this is about Americans making choices...

Also, some countries have a lot more latitude controlling what is or is not available to the customer.... For many years all vehicles in India had to be made in India: the Pajero was a rebadge and locally built Montero. China doesn't allow just anyone to sell wares to their citizens.

But that's besides the point. Thread is about Americans and saying otherwise is really two things.. A distraction from the painful direction we are headed and irrevelant to this thread. Oh and the obvious elephant in the room that no politician wants to address... That American labor in manufacturing is no longer competitive. They are OK with it because their rich pocket liners make a killing off cheap labor overseas.
"That American labor in manufacturing is no longer competitive"

YET, we are the No.2 manufacturing country in the WORLD!

Old 08-16-2019, 02:11 PM

15,074 posts, read 10,108,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"That American labor in manufacturing is no longer competitive"

YET, we are the No.2 manufacturing country in the WORLD!
Title says "people are buying US made items". We are talking about manufacturing of consumer products. US labor is still no longer competitive in that sector. We export Food, Oil, Aircraft, parts, industrial machines and pharma.

Typical family household relies on a lot of products that are no longer made in the US and as many already stated in this thread, no US made alternatives. Automobiles is one of the products that still are widely available to the American consumer.. other than that there isn't much... for which all of my vehicles are for the most part US made.

There are many examples of cities that are now derelict because manufacturing was outsourced. One prime example was textiles. Why outsourced? Because again... US labor isn't competitive (due to a variety of reasons not all are in control of the laborer)

Old 08-16-2019, 03:13 PM

23,988 posts, read 15,086,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
I buy stuff from all over, much of it for resale. I prefer to let the consumer decide. As of late, my sales of American made stuff (much of it made by me) have crashed. I assume leftist's hatred for America has reached a point where they are boycotting made in America goods, but who knows. Doesn't bother me, as I could use a vacation and will stay out of the shop until fall. I've been meaning to take a vacation for quite some time, but was always too busy with work.
This left-winger sometimes wishes there was a fu emoji. Perhaps your stuff is not what they are looking for.

I buy American and have since Mr. Sam died. We sold our WalMart stock and haven't been in the store since. I also told everyone I knew that every time they bought Chinese they were raising the standard of living in China.

I had to buy a iron a couple months ago. Had to have the clerk unbox to find the country of origin. It was not on the label. Of the 2, one was Chinese, the other Mexico. I told the clerk I always am eager to pay a tad more for things made in the Northern Hemisphere. He hugged me and said thanks. He was Mexican.

Some things you can't help but buy Chinese. That is due to American manufacturers, not the consumers.

I always read labels and search out where products come from before spending money.

Sorry, but i tried all American made mayonnaise. Can't give up Hellman's.

Old 08-16-2019, 03:18 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,621,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Every since President Trump was running for the presidency we became even more aware of buying American made stuff.

We do not buy only American made, but over the years we started at first to eliminate China manufactured pet food and never bought a Japanese car but only US brand cars.

Most items we buy will therefore be US made and if we have to choose or can choose then we don’t mind to pay a little bit more for US made.

Therefore the tariffs are not seen by us as a tax to the public but a choice you make to support the Country.

I wonder what others do or think about this subject.
For certain goods, tools are a good example, I try not to buy Chinese and look for tools made in the US. If US tools aren't an option, I'll still try to avoid Chinese.

Other goods, like electronics, it's way too complicated trying to understand where the components originate, so it's not really practical.

Old 08-16-2019, 03:23 PM

732 posts, read 391,034 times
I wonder sometimes if the reverse is true. Could the Chinese do without US-made goods entirely? I don't doubt that they are planning with that in mind.

The endgame:

. China owns beaucoup US .gov bonds
. China is the sole source for a lot of everyday items, including the supply chain to make them
. China is self-sufficient with the exception of raw materials bought through long-term contracts/ownership in the 3rd world
. China becomes self-sufficient at all levels including aerospace, CPU design, software, heavy industrial equipment

The further you go down that road, the less polite they are going to be. Bank on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies