Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2019, 04:47 PM

15,532 posts, read 10,507,413 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
I don't remember my kids paying anything for the AP classes they took. What was that for?

It could be it's covered in our property taxes, though, since most of the money goes into the public school.
We didn't pay for AP classes either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2019, 05:59 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,620,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
We didn't pay for AP classes either.
Thanks, Elan. It must vary by state or region? I'm assuming in situations where a student is AP material but cannot afford to pay for the class, that there is some sort of assistance they can get. At least that's my hope.

Old 08-29-2019, 06:09 PM

15,532 posts, read 10,507,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Thanks, Elan. It must vary by state or region? I'm assuming in situations where a student is AP material but cannot afford to pay for the class, that there is some sort of assistance they can get. At least that's my hope.
Yeah, I guess. It just came out of our property taxes. Nobody paid extra for AP, Special Education, English As a Second Language and so on. Probably some kind of guaranteed education for all law.

Old 08-29-2019, 06:27 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 25 days ago)

29,561 posts, read 16,552,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I was talking solely about the entrance tests and tutoring to get into magnet schools. You raise a valid point about both the additional costs associated with attendance and the fact that every school\location is different so kudos for doing so.
While tutoring can be free, I think many of those who can charge, do charge. and those with talents or inside knowledge will indeed charge for such.

Quote:
My kids took AP classes and it was a few hundred $$$ a year.
Their school had various programs where kids having financial issues could anonymously request and receive aid for anything from coursework to bus costs or cheerleading uniforms. The only person that knew they were getting the aid was the teacher, for donators like myself it was unknown other than what the need was.
I never heard of that in my school system (Baldwin County,AL), but it seems like a great way to help people out who cant afford it.

Quote:
Again, the root complaint seems to be around the racial admission %'s. I like my sports example, dismissing that the kids getting into the magnet school didn't perhaps put in more work to do so and just happened to have more exam prep or tutors is perhaps an indictment of the accusers not having the right mindset towards hard work paying off in academics.

Good discussion.
I understand your logic here, I just disagree that it is the reasoning.

Old 08-29-2019, 06:33 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,882,675 times
Social Justice warriors. Dont ask people to step up. Either dumb it down or just get rid of it for those who work hard. This isn't about race and I defy anyone to prove that kids of any color who apply themselves and are gifted can't compete with any other group in the academic setting.

Old 08-29-2019, 06:34 PM

4,633 posts, read 3,468,191 times
Ha. I knew this De Blasio dude was bad news. I couldn't believe the number of people supporting him simply because he has a black wife. Some of the worst people are married to POC because they think it gives them some kind of street cred and protection against being called a racist. Unfortunately, a lot of people fall for the optics. You got what you deserved, New York.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies