Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2019, 09:20 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,806,429 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
You have this all backwards. If you are not pregnant, all those things are fine because they only affect your own body. The reason they're not OK when pregnant is that they affect another person's body. Which is, yes, temporarily in your body, but not actually part of your body. If it was part of your body you could drink and smoke away. This isn't rocket science. It's how reproduction works, you know. Another person's body is temporarily in the mother's body. Don't they teach anything in school?
“If it was part of your body you could drink and smoke away”

What does this even mean? That if a fetus was part of a woman’s body no ill effects would occur to it from her smoking and drinking? I’m sure my lungs and liver disagree. And I’m equally sure they’re part of my body.

Last edited by UNC4Me; 09-08-2019 at 09:34 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2019, 09:23 AM

24,201 posts, read 19,210,098 times
There is no such thing as an abortion of a healthy baby a day before it's due. That's just complete and utter BS designed to promote an anti-choice agenda.

Old 09-08-2019, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
There is no such thing as an abortion of a healthy baby a day before it's due. That's just complete and utter BS designed to promote an anti-choice agenda.
Yep. Nothing but scare mongering.

Old 09-08-2019, 09:31 AM

14,316 posts, read 11,702,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
“If it was part of your body you could drink and smoke away”

What does this even mean? That if a fetus was part of a woman’s body no ill effects would occur to it from her smoking and drinking? I’m pretty sure my lungs and liver disagree. And I’m equally sure they’re part of my body.
If it was really part of her body she could choose to do what she wants to it with impunity, just as she can choose to poison her own lungs and liver. That we frown heavily on pregnant women smoking and drinking shows that we all know the fetus is not actually part of her body.

Old 09-08-2019, 09:35 AM

Quote:
If it was really part of her body she could choose to do what she wants to it with impunity, just as she can choose to poison her own lungs and liver. That we frown heavily on pregnant women smoking and drinking shows that we all know the fetus is not actually part of her body.
No, it just means we have scientific evidence that doing so negatively impacts the developing fetus. The fetus that’s part of her body until born.

Old 09-08-2019, 11:27 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,990,431 times
A fetus is a part of a woman's body - it is attached to her through a placenta and umbilical cord, it needs to be attached to her to live. If the placenta detaches or the cord knots tight enough, the fetus will die in the womb if not delivered immediately. The placenta is an organ specifically meant to keep mom and baby connected and provide what is needed to keep baby alive.

Quote:
Some women who do not want an abortion unfortunately do choose to do what they want with their bodies and therefore their baby's with impunity, like smoking or drinking or doing drugs, which tend to negatively impact the baby. Nothing truly stops them, because no one can control the baby inside her body and what happens to it like she can. No one can actually stop her from doing something to harm her baby other than trying to physically stop her. We do frown on it as a society but we can't really force a woman to not do something harmful while pregnant. Even a woman who is doing drugs while pregnant cannot be stopped, CPS may know about it but nothing can be done until the baby is born. So I'm not sure how this helps your point. She can actually do what she wants, even though maybe she shouldn't, because it is her body and we respect people's bodily autonomy. The fact that a fetus is another human doesn't mean it isn't also part of a woman's body until birth.

Old 09-08-2019, 11:33 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post
As it is in most civilized countries, except the USA with its barbaric Roe ruling.

I have a question for those who claim that a fetus is a part of a woman's body. During pregnancy a woman's immune response is tamped down because that reduces the chance that her immune system will overreact to the presence of fetal cells that cross the placenta. If the fetus is part of the woman's body, why would her immune system attack fetal cells?

Moreover, why is the placenta even necessary if the fetus is part of the woman's body? How would the mother's immune system react if the fetus had a different blood type and there was no placenta?
I suggest you read this: https://www.csmonitor.com/World/Euro...ion-than-in-US
My allowable three.
"Of the 36 countries in Europe that allow abortion on request, the vast majority impose time limits of around 12 weeks. Some specify 10 weeks, others 14. Sweden allows a time frame of 18 weeks while in the Netherlands the period is “viability,” like under US federal law. Of the 22 EU countries that permit abortion on request, 11 of them impose mandatory waiting periods between consulting a doctor with a request and when the procedure can take place."

Old 09-08-2019, 11:35 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Get back to me when states like Alabama try to pass legislation meant to effectively ban IVF.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...or-infertility

Seems embryos, even though they have unique DNA, do not count as a life unless they are attached to a woman. A rather odd distinction isn't it?
You sure do like to move the goalposts around. I didn't think this thread was supposed to be about IVF.

Old 09-08-2019, 11:36 AM

15,862 posts, read 6,325,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
A fetus is a part of a woman's body - it is attached to her through a placenta and umbilical cord, it needs to be attached to her to live. If the placenta detaches or the cord knots tight enough, the fetus will die in the womb if not delivered immediately. The placenta is an organ specifically meant to keep mom and baby connected and provide what is needed to keep baby alive.

Some women who do not want an abortion unfortunately do choose to do what they want with their bodies and therefore their baby's with impunity, like smoking or drinking or doing drugs, which tend to negatively impact the baby. Nothing truly stops them, because no one can control the baby inside her body and what happens to it like she can. No one can actually stop her from doing something to harm her baby other than trying to physically stop her. We do frown on it as a society but we can't really force a woman to not do something harmful while pregnant. Even a woman who is doing drugs while pregnant cannot be stopped, CPS may know about it but nothing can be done until the baby is born. So I'm not sure how this helps your point. She can actually do what she wants, even though maybe she shouldn't, because it is her body and we respect people's bodily autonomy.
What about the father though? If it's really his child while in utero isn't he neglectful for allowing the mother to abuse the child?

Old 09-08-2019, 11:41 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,990,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
What about the father though? If it's really his child while in utero isn't he neglectful for allowing the mother to abuse the child?
I don't know whether there have been successful cases of fathers stopping their unborn baby's mother from doing something harmful. It's a tough area to get into, because the next question is whether he can force her to have an abortion or not, or force her to allow him in the delivery room even if she doesn't want him there, take some supplement or something she doesn't want to take, etc. If he can stop her from doing something just because it's harmful, what else can he force her to do or not do while pregnant, for the unborn baby's sake? It goes back to the idea that while a fetus is in a woman's body, part of her and relying entirely on her unable to survive on its own, a woman's bodily autonomy pretty much reigns supreme.

Yeah, a woman has more control over a couple's unborn baby, but that's just biology. Kind of like how a man gives nothing but sperm/hopefully a good time, and doesn't have to risk his life carrying and delivering a child, or risk his appearance or change his body, potentially forever, to carry and deliver a child. A woman I watch on youtube had a baby and for like 2 months after, couldn't feel the need to pee. She was wearing diapers. She had nerve damage, luckily she regained the feeling and is now functioning pretty normally again, but this is the stuff women risk happening to have a child, and men don't have to risk any of it. I think it kind of balances out, when you look at all a pregnant woman goes through or could go through from conception to birth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies