Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2019, 12:58 AM

30,372 posts, read 19,177,636 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Amazing that Bannon, Mercer and Russian Billionaires won so easily!

"UK factories suffer worst slump since 2012 amid Brexit crisis – business live
Rolling coverage of the latest economic and financial news, as British manufacturers suffer falling orders
Latest: UK manufacturing PMI weakest in seven years
Business confidence slumps as output falls again
Expert: There’s a creeping dread of no-deal Brexit
Pound falls through $1.21"

The good news is that Russians and Americans and other can go there and buy more with less. MAGA.
I am friends with and mostly worked with Brits the last few years and most were for Brexit and they knew that there would be a short term economic price for it...they jsut believed it was better for their country in the long term and it probably is...MAGA

The Russian Boogymen strike again in your mind huh
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2019, 01:20 AM

31,074 posts, read 22,094,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
First world countries that send bombs and guns to those countries immigrants are fleeing from are a large blame for the situation. What goes around comes around. Pursuing peace and trade not war would generate a positive outcome.
We tried peace with the former Prez that won that peace prize. "He failed at being peaceful"

Old 09-03-2019, 01:48 AM

29,219 posts, read 22,376,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Russia! Russia! Russia!

Lol

The Russian boogeyman strikes again.
Russian industry has never been competitive. Russian manufacturing has never met the needs of its people, so it has never become much of an exporter.

These 2 facts have always existed since the iron age. That's why the Czars took over so much land mass. It was one way of meeting Russia's basic needs. The Communists tried and failed to make Russian industry meet the nation's needs, and so has their post-communist democracy.

So it's a lot cheaper, easier, and quicker for the Russians to mess with the expert manufacturing nations than it is to try to fix their own problems.

When someone else is doing better than you, you either spend the time and money and learn to become better yourself or you steal what you can from the guy who's doing better.

It's also why the Chinese have become the world's great manufacturer. The Chinese Communists eventually learned from the Russian Communists' mistakes and concentrated their nation's wealth and people on manufacturing instead of ideology.

Old 09-03-2019, 01:55 AM

29,219 posts, read 22,376,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
My wife and I visited England shortly after the election in 2016 and we spoke with many people about politics once they realized I was from the states. The consensus from the working class people we spoke with was that they liked Trump for his stance on illegal and unfettered immigration. The problem in England which lead to Brexit was that thousands of immigrants from Eastern Europe, Turkey and other muslim based countries were moving to England and changing the country.

We spoke to one woman that was planning on retiring until she received a letter from the Gov. saying that she had to continue working another 2 years while the Gov. built new housing for the influx of immigrants.

How terrible is that? You work for 40 years earning every penny and being smart with it to own a flat somewhere and people from a foreign country with different customs and language walk in and get free everything.

It sort of sounds familiar doesn't it?

Recently we spoke with someone from Manchester England and she was concerned about her sister living there because she was the only white face in the neighborhood. That might read racist but imagine an entire section of a city changing its demographics in a few short decades.

Brexit is about getting out of the EU and it is about concerned people that want to protect the character of their country from forever changing into something they don't recognize anymore.

It is very similar here and the Dems have all sorts of terrible names to call the people that believe this.
Why did all the Eastern Europeans and Turks decamp and move to England?
Because they were being flooded with refugees from further eastward where there was war and chaos. The refugees will take work at any price. So the residents who want to do better than the minimum of existence move elsewhere.

It's the same old chain reaction to war and chaos that has always happened in the human race. People will move if they must starve at home if they can move. If they cannot move, then they will die.

That's the reason why the planet is entirely occupied by human beings.

If the United States ever becomes similar to Syria or Iraq, Canada and Mexico will become flooded with Americans.

Old 09-03-2019, 02:52 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 4 days ago)

27,185 posts, read 13,477,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Because they were being flooded with refugees from further eastward where there was war and chaos. The refugees will take work at any price. So the residents who want to do better than the minimum of existence move elsewhere.

It's the same old chain reaction to war and chaos that has always happened in the human race. People will move if they must starve at home if they can move. If they cannot move, then they will die.

If the United States ever becomes similar to Syria or Iraq, Canada and Mexico will become flooded with Americans.
Turks don't have freedom of movement, as they are not a full member of the EU.

It was mainly Poles, Romanians and other East Europeans.

Old 09-03-2019, 05:43 AM

9,375 posts, read 6,982,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
Anti-immigration is a recipe for economic disaster.

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

You're talking about an economic stagnation from labor shortages. Which was a "thing" during the industrial revolution and heavily dependent agricultural societies. In the age of automation, robotics, and AI we need less "labor" or fewer people but better "skilled" work force. I would argue that we are not producing enough skilled labor but have an influx of low to moderately skilled workforce. We are trying to stymie population growth then we can look to improve our skill sets.

I would suggest the next step is to start looking at modest population controls/qualifiers. E.g. cutoff welfare per child and child tax credits.

Old 09-03-2019, 05:57 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,024,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
I am friends with and mostly worked with Brits the last few years and most were for Brexit and they knew that there would be a short term economic price for it...they jsut believed it was better for their country in the long term and it probably is...MAGA

The Russian Boogymen strike again in your mind huh
Interesting I know a few Brits and follow many online -- have for years (I love my British TV)......and they don't support Brexit. Many believe it to be a campaign that use misinformation and lies to mislead the British people, that many now would vote against it knowing the truth.

Old 09-03-2019, 06:27 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 4 days ago)

27,185 posts, read 13,477,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Interesting I know a few Brits and follow many online -- have for years (I love my British TV)......and they don't support Brexit. Many believe it to be a campaign that use misinformation and lies to mislead the British people, that many now would vote against it knowing the truth.
Since the Brexit vote, we have already had an election in which the largest returning party was the Conservatives whose policy was Brexit means Brexit, we have had a further Conservative leadership contest in which two thirds of the party members voted for Brexiteer Boris Johnson and could yet have a second general election, which as things stand would see Boris elected and increasing his majority in the House of Commons based on his current leave mandate.

There have been planty of opportunities through the ballot box for those that disagree, and may yet be another, and it should be noted that Boris Johnson is currently 12 points in front of the opposition.

Old 09-03-2019, 06:31 AM

21,939 posts, read 9,513,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
My wife and I visited England shortly after the election in 2016 and we spoke with many people about politics once they realized I was from the states. The consensus from the working class people we spoke with was that they liked Trump for his stance on illegal and unfettered immigration. The problem in England which lead to Brexit was that thousands of immigrants from Eastern Europe, Turkey and other muslim based countries were moving to England and changing the country.

We spoke to one woman that was planning on retiring until she received a letter from the Gov. saying that she had to continue working another 2 years while the Gov. built new housing for the influx of immigrants.

How terrible is that? You work for 40 years earning every penny and being smart with it to own a flat somewhere and people from a foreign country with different customs and language walk in and get free everything.

It sort of sounds familiar doesn't it?

Recently we spoke with someone from Manchester England and she was concerned about her sister living there because she was the only white face in the neighborhood. That might read racist but imagine an entire section of a city changing its demographics in a few short decades.

Brexit is about getting out of the EU and it is about concerned people that want to protect the character of their country from forever changing into something they don't recognize anymore.

It is very similar here and the Dems have all sorts of terrible names to call the people that believe this.
The exact same dynamic is a play in Europe as in the US. People are sick of all the immigration and their policies don't work for the people. And they are doing everything they can to overturn Brexit.

Old 09-03-2019, 07:41 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,682,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post

Uh, part of the reason people went to UK is the same they come here - UK needed factory workers and servants and such and the people born there didn't want to do the jobs any longer.

Even higher end production (union, benefits, etc.) jobs in Germany...many long term Germans won't do them. Ask BMW or Mercedes.....they can't fill jobs which is why they are happy for immigrants AND also building many new plants in the poor countries of Eastern Europe.

Not to say no one moves due to chaos, but a lot of modern movement has to do with the jobs needing to be done and not enough local population to do them.

How many American families do you know that have children and think "I hope Joe can get a job in the iron foundry making molds?". Very few...would be my guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies