Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2020, 11:17 AM

102,212 posts, read 107,931,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
I know, why on earth would you pick a polarizing candidate from a state that you're more than guaranteed to win anyways? WTF strategy are they going with?
He must have thought that Abrams would be too polarizing, meaning--she'd really fire up the Repub hysteria. This, in spite of the fact that the conventional "wisdom" used to be to have a Veep from the South, to bring in that vote. IMO the pretty clear choice after that, was Klobuchar. But no, I guess he still wanted to go for a running mate who could bring out the minority vote, as it were.

The opposing camp is really going to get down and dirty with this one. Ugh. I'm glad I don't have a TV. I can ignore the inevitable slinging of mud.

Old 08-12-2020, 11:20 AM

And btw, a bit off-topic perhaps, it's outrageous the way Abrams had the governorship snatched out from under her. There was no hue and cry about irregularities, or anything. People just rolled over and died. She's a major talent. People should be angry. Even 4 years after the fact.

Old 08-12-2020, 11:39 AM

6,675 posts, read 4,279,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
OK, I can see why he didn't choose Abrams, even though I think she might have helped him create the landslide he needs in order to win, given the realities of Repub. vote suppression. But Klobuchar has a record of being a sort of bridge candidate, garnering moderate-Repub. support. And she'd be harder to attack and drag through the mud than the current choice.

Jeez. The Dems were basically handed an election on a silver platter, and look how it turned out. Talk about snatching defeat from the jaws of victory!

*sighhhhhhhhh* And now we'll be stuck with voting for this circus. You know, like the popular (for awhile) slogan said, "LITERALLY, anyone else!" Turns out, it's not quite so simple.
Welcome to my world.

Old 08-12-2020, 11:40 AM

21,740 posts, read 16,356,570 times
Quote:
Based on what?
Based on her years and years of demonstrating success in manipulating people and situations, if nothing else.

Like it or not, she ran city prosecutor’s offices and state attorney general office with no scandals or professional controversies to speak of - OTHER THAN controversial political posturing and some prosecutorial decisions ... where controversial political and prosecutorial choices come with the territory no matter who what where when. There are always going to be people who disagree (including me and you and Ruth) with decisions while others agree with the same.

Again: proof is sitting in the Oval office ... and in his case: he is NOT a competent executive and couldn’t run a shoe-shine stand let alone a nation.

Old 08-12-2020, 11:42 AM

6,675 posts, read 4,279,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Based on her years and years of demonstrating success in manipulating people and situations, if nothing else.

Like it or not, she ran city prosecutor’s offices and state attorney general office with no scandals or professional controversies to speak of - OTHER THAN controversial political posturing and some prosecutorial decisions ... where controversial political and prosecutorial choices come with the territory no matter who what where when. There are always going to be people who disagree (including me and you and Ruth) with decisions while others agree with the same.

Again: proof is sitting in the Oval office ... and in his case: he is NOT a competent executive and couldn’t run a shoe-shine stand let alone a nation.
I don’t know, seems like your saying she’s better because she’s more conniving. Normally I wouldn’t care, it’s a VP. However, considering who her running mate is, she’s probably going to be calling the shots if they win.

Old 08-12-2020, 11:45 AM

Quote:

He could run a shoe-shine stand for as long as his line of credit lasted. Once he got behind in his payments & racked up too much debt (would you trust this man with your shoes?), that would be the end of it.

Old 08-12-2020, 11:46 AM

1,255 posts, read 1,055,705 times
Lifelong Democrat here. Latino. High School, Social Studies teacher. Grew up in Southern California, live in Palmdale.

Not sure what to make of Sen. Kamala Harris as the selection for VP candidate?

As a Senator from California, she's been great! As a VP candidate? Not sure how this will play out? Lots of strange factors going on here.

She's not as wildly popular among black voters as one would think she'd be. In fact, a number of black female co-workers seem to resent her because she's childless and they perceive her as having slept her way into power in SF.

There's also an overall resentment factor because of Kamala's educational success and political success, the whole "crabs in a bucket" thing, I suppose? Then there's the fact that she was a DA and a very ardent one at that! This, at a time when DAs offices are being nullified by radical left factions within the Democratic Party.

To compound the issue even further, having a Californian on the ticket may cripple the campaign. I love California. Born, raised and buried here! We are the state of innovation! ...but...the rest of the nation doesn't see us that way, sadly. Many outright resent us for our success and our Left Coast ways.

This will make for an interesting campaign season....pass the popcorn!

Old 08-12-2020, 11:49 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,663,382 times
Quote:

That's a pretty bad standard for "competence" imo.

You may not consider these "scandals" or "controversies" but a lot of people do and the right will have a field day with them.

Crime lab scandal rocked Kamala Harris’s term as San Francisco district attorney

Feinstein's surprise call for death penalty puts D.A. on spot

Killings turn focus on S.F. sanctuary law

I'm amazed at how many Californians and even people in the Bay Area seem oblivious to her past or I guess they just don't care.

Old 08-12-2020, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apple92680 View Post
Lifelong Democrat here. Latino. High School, Social Studies teacher. Grew up in Southern California, live in Palmdale.

Not sure what to make of Sen. Kamala Harris as the selection for VP candidate?

As a Senator from California, she's been great! As a VP candidate? Not sure how this will play out? Lots of strange factors going on here.

She's not as wildly popular among black voters as one would think she'd be. In fact, a number of black female co-workers seem to resent her because she's childless and they perceive her as having slept her way into power in SF.

There's also an overall resentment factor because of Kamala's educational success and political success, the whole "crabs in a bucket" thing, I suppose? Then there's the fact that she was a DA and a very ardent one at that! This, at a time when DAs offices are being nullified by radical left factions within the Democratic Party.

To compound the issue even further, having a Californian on the ticket may cripple the campaign. I love California. Born, raised and buried here! We are the state of innovation! ...but...the rest of the nation doesn't see us that way, sadly. Many outright resent us for our success and our Left Coast ways.

This will make for an interesting campaign season....pass the popcorn!
Translation: we're screwed.

Thanks for your message to us from The Beyond, though.

Old 08-12-2020, 11:51 AM

Quote:
That's a pretty bad standard for "competence" imo.

You may not consider these "scandals" or "controversies" but a lot of people do and the right will have a field day with them.

Crime lab scandal rocked Kamala Harris’s term as San Francisco district attorney

Feinstein's surprise call for death penalty puts D.A. on spot

Killings turn focus on S.F. sanctuary law
Feinstein! Now there's an idea!

Oops. Too late.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies