Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2019, 11:39 AM

7,511 posts, read 4,355,916 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal77 View Post
I think you'd be surprised at how many in the middle and left don't want to do away with the 2nd Amendment. Many just want to "amend" the age old agreement. No one is gonna take away your NRA membership.
I think that you'd be surprised at how many of them do. At least to the point of where you'd only be allowed to own a single shot musket. As they've claimed ad nauseam. The 2nd Amendment is fine the way it is there really is no need amend it. The 2nd Amendment is not an age old agreement it's a Constitutional right that we have been endowed by "our creator" with. To make that claim is showing your contempt for it. Yet we're supposed to believe that you don't want to do away with the 2nd Amendment? Sure we'll still be able to have the 2nd Amendment but it will be as worthless as the paper it's printed on if you get your way. Death by a thousand cuts.

What does a membership in the NRA have to do with anything? The Declaration of Independence, the Constitution and Bill of Rights have existed long before the NRA. They are the foundation of our Constitutional Republic.

Quote:
A Constitutional Republic is a form of government where the head of state and other officials are elected as representatives of the people, representatives mandated to govern according to existing constitutional law. It is because of this mandate that the elected class in a Constitutional Republic is limited in their power over the citizenry. The United States of America was created as and intended to survive as a Constitutional Republic.

Our Constitutional Republic is separated into three separate but equal branches of government; the Executive, Legislative and Judicial, represented by the Presidency, Congress and the Courts. Because of this no branch has a rein on absolute power thus assuring that there will be checks and balances to the governmental system and protection for the rule of law.

Through the elected representation employed by our Constitutional Republic the influence of the majority is tempered by protections for individual rights as mandated by constitutional law. Our form of government is deliberate in its attempt to thwart majoritarianism, thereby protecting political dissent and individuals and minority groups from the "tyranny of the majority" by placing checks on the power of the majority of the population. The power of the majority of the people is checked by limiting that power to electing representatives who are required to legislate with limits of overarching constitutional law which a simple majority cannot modify.

"A pure unbridled democracy is a political system in which the majority enjoys absolute power by means of democratic elections. In an unvarnished democracy, unrestrained by a constitution, the majority can vote to impose tyranny on themselves and the minority opposition. They can vote to elect those who will infringe upon our inalienable God-given rights. Thomas Jefferson referred to this as elected despotism in Notes on the State of Virginia (also cited in Federalist 48 by Madison):"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2019, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Most gun owners don't belong to the NRA. Many of us don't like them.
Whether most gun owners belong to the NRA or not. They should at least join and support any number of pro 2nd Amendment organizations that better represents them. There's strength in numbers and divided we will indeed fall. The Democrat Party for all intents and purposes does not represent our interests. I never have and never will vote for a Democrat no matter WHO they nominate for ANY public office.

But it's not just the 2nd Amendment that they're after, it's the entire concept of Constitutional law that we stand to lose. If we can easily lose one right then we can easily lose them all. The 2nd Amendment is the one right that ensures that all the others exist. The principles of Constitutional law are just as relevant today as they were when this country was originally founded if we are to remain a Constitutional Republic.

Quote:
Patrick Henry
“Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined.”

George Mason
“To disarm the people…is the most effectual way to enslave them.”

James Madison
“The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. A well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the best and most natural defense of a free country.”

“The ultimate authority, wherever the derivative may be found, resides in the people alone.”

Noah Webster
“Before a standing army can rule, the people must be disarmed; as they are in almost every kingdom of Europe. The supreme power in America cannot enforce unjust laws by the sword; because the whole body of the people are armed, and constitute a force superior to any bands of regular troops that can be, on any pretense, raised in the United States.”

Samuel Adams
“The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.”

Richard Henry Lee
“A militia when properly formed are in fact the people themselves…and include, according to the past and general usuage of the states, all men capable of bearing arms…

“To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them.”

Thomas Jefferson
“I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.”

“What country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance. Let them take arms.”

“The laws that forbid the carrying of arms are laws of such a nature. They disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes…. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.”

“The Constitution of most of our states (and of the United States) assert that all power is inherent in the people; that they may exercise it by themselves; that it is their right and duty to be at all times armed.”

Old 09-09-2019, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Makes much more sense to leave it in the car huh.
Duplicate post.

Last edited by Ex New Yorker; 09-09-2019 at 12:48 PM.. Reason: duplicate post.

Old 09-09-2019, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Makes much more sense to leave it in the car huh.
I know you're being facetious. I love it!

Actually they probably do wish that where it can get stolen. Then if it's used in a crime they can just blame the careless gun owner for leaving it in their car and demand that more laws need to be passed. The end justifies the means with these people.

I swear to God that that's also the reason why the media who by and large are a propaganda arm of the Democrat Party goes out of their way to sensationalize every mass shooting for months on end. Just to inspire the next one. When I was in high school it was unthinkable to bring a gun to school and gun down our class mates or go on a shooting rampage. Bullying and ostracizing took place back then too. There were also loners without any friends, along with the mentally unstable.

This crap was just not happening as often just a few short decades ago. A time when there wasn't as many gun laws as we have today. There's got to be a correlation.

Old 09-09-2019, 12:49 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,265,578 times
Personally, I never go into Walmart without my sword and shield. Scary in there.....

Old 09-09-2019, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
Personally, I never go into Walmart without my sword and shield. Scary in there.....
I don't know? I never get on the highway without buckling up either. Or locking my doors both home and vehicle when I'm not occupying them? Tie my boots before going out for a hike? Have a life preserver available while out on a boat? Look both ways before crossing the street? I now live in Arizona, put on sunscreen when I'm out in the desert? Make sure that poultry is done before eating it? Keep a fire extinguisher in the kitchen? Have smoke and carbon monoxide detectors in my home? Does that make me paranoid?....

Last edited by Ex New Yorker; 09-09-2019 at 02:25 PM..

Old 09-09-2019, 01:33 PM

814 posts, read 670,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex New Yorker View Post
I think that you'd be surprised at how many of them do. At least to the point of where you'd only be allowed to own a single shot musket. As they've claimed ad nauseam. The 2nd Amendment is fine the way it is there really is no need amend it. The 2nd Amendment is not an age old agreement it's a Constitutional right that we have been endowed by "our creator" with. To make that claim is showing your contempt for it. Yet we're supposed to believe that you don't want to do away with the 2nd Amendment? Sure we'll still be able to have the 2nd Amendment but it will be as worthless as the paper it's printed on if you get your way. Death by a thousand cuts.

What does a membership in the NRA have to do with anything? The Declaration of Independence, the Constitution and Bill of Rights have existed long before the NRA. They are the foundation of our Constitutional Republic.

The conversation needs to start regardless. I don't have any hard and fast rules just need to consolidate what's needed vs what is currently out there.

Saying we need to stand on a centuries old agreement is about as dense as saying our world isn't changing.

Old 09-09-2019, 01:40 PM

50,313 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal77 View Post
The conversation needs to start regardless. I don't have any hard and fast rules just need to consolidate what's needed vs what is currently out there.

Saying we need to stand on a centuries old agreement is about as dense as saying our world isn't changing.
What's dense is not knowing that there was a semi auto "assault weapon" already created at the time of the 2nd amendment. Which is what the left are all running in circles about.

Old 09-09-2019, 02:05 PM

14,968 posts, read 9,814,811 times
In Florida I have neither, in TN... we have 2 Dollar Generals, but Walmart is 20 miles away both places.

Old 09-09-2019, 02:05 PM

814 posts, read 670,492 times
Quote:
What's dense is not knowing that there was a semi auto "assault weapon" already created at the time of the 2nd amendment. Which is what the left are all running in circles about.
I'm not on the left, I believe in policy over party. I stopped playing football because it hurts the brain. Newsflash.

Many semi-auto's can be converted to be automatic.

Not sure what to say except we live in a different world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies