Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2019, 04:40 PM

31,963 posts, read 27,110,316 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
According to the brookings institute, educated Americans have not turned their backs on marriage; the well-documented “marriage gap” is mostly due to a decline in marriage rates among the less educated. As a general rule, the more letters American women have after their names—and therefore the greater their economic independence—the more likely they are to be married.

https://www.brookings.edu/blog/socia...to-be-married/
Thank you!

This is what am saying.

Live in NYC and there is no falling off of marriage in the college educated/well off and certain other demographics. My area in particular is full of married couples (with many stay at home mothers), but we're talking about two college and perhaps even graduate degree persons.

OTOH in other communities (am not naming any names) you see same thing have for ages. Unwed mothers with one, two or more children and not a stable LT relationship on the books or horizon.

Old 09-07-2019, 04:42 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,896,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Thing is even attractive women are coming down off their high horses and dealing with the real. In other words going with what they can get, rather than waiting around hoping for Prince Charming to come along riding that white horse.

Just like those two from Sex and The City who ended up with "downgraded" guys. One married a bartender, and the other after screwing up her marriage with an attractive, successful and wealthy WASP doctor, ended up with a squat, round not so great looking Jewish attorney.

A woman's life is compromised day she is born; and as she goes through life things become a series of same.

At some point in her twenties or thirties any unmarried woman who wants a husband or LT relationship sits herself down and surveys lay of land. OTOH she isn't getting any younger and on the other the pools she's been fishing in are coming up empty. That is when many start giving guys they previously passed over a second look.
Yeah right. You must have never tried to date on tinder. 40-something year old average looking women wanting to only date a guy who could pass for a 28 year old male model.

Old 09-07-2019, 04:45 PM

21,981 posts, read 9,565,755 times
Personally, I think it's those grizzly adams beards. I think women should refuse to mate with any of them until they shave them off.

Old 09-07-2019, 04:46 PM

7,293 posts, read 4,105,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
Yeah right. You must have never tried to date on tinder. 40-something year old average looking women wanting to only date a guy who could pass for a 28 year old male model.
It's unfortunate that your failed attempts at online hookups have poisoned your mind. You can't see the forest for the trees.

Old 09-07-2019, 04:47 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,896,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
Is that really how it works? I’m 50 years old, and happily married since before tinder existed, so I may be a little naive when it comes to this, but it seems to me that the attractive males probably aren’t swiping in the right direction for the unattractive females. Doesn’t this force the unattractive females to lower their expectations and keep swiping down the ladder until they get a hit?
I think females have became much more looksist and ageist since the 1990s. If you're a top 5 percent or above earner then it compensates for a guy's age and not having exceptional looks. The attractive males I think are taking on average and unattractive females for hook ups and are often married or have a girlfriend already. It seems females would rather have a hook up with an attractive male than have a relationship with a male who isn't highly attractive.

Old 09-07-2019, 04:47 PM

31,963 posts, read 27,110,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
You're right, have never bothered with nor needed any sort of online or ads to find someone. But as they say different strokes for different folks.

Old 09-07-2019, 04:48 PM

15,547 posts, read 10,537,284 times
Couldn't some of this just be that they are having to much fun to settle down? Aren't people getting married later and later now?

Old 09-07-2019, 04:49 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,153,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolom View Post
Step up, fellas. Money=Love
Of course, that makes perfect sense. Once upon a time women were obliged to marry, because they had no other secure, respectable way of ensuring their survival. Nowadays, they don't have to marry unless they want to.

It's been shown that educated women tend to have fewer children; I wonder if educated women tend to marry less, too.

Old 09-07-2019, 04:49 PM

6,326 posts, read 6,605,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaDulce View Post
HA! You sound bitter.
Don't forget to mention me not getting laid somewhere in this thread, and how miserable I must be to harbor those thoughts, and how sorry you are for me. Manipulative tricks females use to protect their turf is more predictable than a Sunrise.

Old 09-07-2019, 04:50 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,129,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
Couldn't some of this just be that they are having to much fun to settle down? Aren't people getting married later and later now?
Talking with a friend too, many people don't even want to get married. Less headache, just move in together. And if it doesn't work, no messy divorce. No need to be governed by a peace of paper and expensive jewelry..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies