Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2019, 06:48 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,697,006 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Because what liberals did to servicemen and women was despicable back then so amends are being made.
It was not despicable for us to protest that war and if people today are thinking it was a good war, it's only because they probably weren't even alive back then.

I later married a Viet Nam vet. He was a good man, however, as time went by, he developed a severe case of PTSD. It was so severe that the VA told me to get a divorce if I valued my life. I stayed with him but, unfortunately the VA was correct and I eventually did have to leave him. We still email and he will always be "my veteran."

If some people didn't respect the Viet Nam veterans, that's on them. The rest of us valued them and supported them and only wanted to bring them home--safely. Please save your misplaced hatred for "liberals" and apply it to someone who deserves to be despised.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2019, 06:54 PM

5,772 posts, read 3,224,169 times
Ike said that American involvement in land wars in Asia are a bad idea. That applies to East and West Asia.

Old 09-10-2019, 06:56 PM

15,507 posts, read 6,434,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mascoma View Post
Mao killed 20–45 million people between 1958 and 1962.
The great leap forward? Yeah that was an economic failure. Any abrupt change to a food system can disorganize a society of hundreds of millions.

Mao wanted to industrialize China but failed, destroying agricultural communities, creating large monopolies without the efficiency of the market.

That's different from mass slaughter.

Mao did lots of good during the cultural revolution economically speaking by allowing more village democracies and stabilizing the food supply.

Old 09-10-2019, 07:21 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,245,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
The great leap forward? Yeah that was an economic failure. Any abrupt change to a food system can disorganize a society of hundreds of millions.

Mao wanted to industrialize China but failed, destroying agricultural communities, creating large monopolies without the efficiency of the market.

That's different from mass slaughter.

Mao did lots of good during the cultural revolution economically speaking by allowing more village democracies and stabilizing the food supply.
They can thank the USA for aiding much in industrializing China. *** They WOULD NOT BE EVEN CLOSE WHATSOEVER ... if not for American businesses moving there. Stealing technology too and buying up closed industry equipment like in our garment manufacturing of old. Then literally moving the equipment to China.

To credit Mao much at all. Makes little sense. MILLIONS DIED BY HIM. Like the great successes of East Germany too..... only Mao's was much worst. Neither delivered the prosperity and industrialization.

How can you say no mass slaughter occurred under Mao? A civil war occurred on a scale nowhere else had. It did not end ..... once Mao won either.....

Old 09-10-2019, 07:32 PM

15,507 posts, read 6,434,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
They can thank the USA for aiding much in industrializing China. *** They WOULD NOT BE EVEN CLOSE WHATSOEVER ... if not for American businesses moving there. Stealing technology too and buying up closed industry equipment like in our garment manufacturing of old. Then literally moving the equipment to China.

To credit Mao much at all. Makes little sense. MILLIONS DIED BY HIM. Like the great successes of East Germany too..... only Mao's was much worst. Neither delivered the prosperity and industrialization.

How can you say no mass slaughter occurred under Mao? A civil war occurred on a scale nowhere else had. It did not end ..... once Mao won either.....
which had nothing to do with the 20-45 million figure.

Old 09-10-2019, 07:37 PM

2,114 posts, read 2,346,962 times
To respond to the original question, I don't believe that Americans have become more supportive of the war. However, I believe that they have realized that people who served in the military there were unjustly vilified for simply carrying out the duties that their country asked of them and have set out to right some of the wrongs.

Old 09-10-2019, 07:37 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,492,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
You forgot Nixon. Coincidence?

Nixon promised to get us out immediately - which was what he ran on!

Here is Nixon himself in 1968 - what a liar!
"I pledge to you"

Not only didn't the war end after his election, but he indiscriminately bombed NV and even considered nukes. Then he resigned as a crook and we lost in 1974/1975.

At least get your history right. Vietnam actually started under IKE and JFK and LBJ inherited it. You are correct about McNamara, who not only destroyed Ford Motor with his "bean counting", but then destroyed the best of our youth and much of our resources and treasure.
you forgot FDR

FDR is the idiot who agreed (between him, Churchill and Stalin) to split a country in two

FDR caused the Korean conflict, and the Vietnam conflict...not to forget the berlin wall too

Old 09-10-2019, 07:43 PM

78,432 posts, read 60,628,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rantiquity View Post
In the beginning of the war when I was drafted I was in full support of the war, but after seeing the very large number of young Vietnam men walking around and letting US forces do the fighting and dying I stopped my support. And i feel the same today.
With that said no war can be fought with both hands tied behind ones back with no win rules of engagement set by politicians and PCness. Wars, no matter what the reason they are fought has to fought by the generals not by politicians or whiny civilians.
^^This. There is no PC way to blast the enemy to smithereens.

Either fight 100% without regard. Or don't fight.

These days it's mostly taken out of our hands with nukes, the only thing that has EVER stopped large scale war in Europe.

Old 09-10-2019, 07:44 PM

78,432 posts, read 60,628,324 times
IT's pathetic to watch partisan hacks with pitiful knowledge of history try to morph all woes onto the other party. You truly have no conscience nor shame.

Old 09-10-2019, 07:44 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,492,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
^^This. There is no PC way to blast the enemy to smithereens.

Either fight 100% without regard. Or don't fight.

These days it's mostly taken out of our hands with nukes, the only thing that has EVER stopped large scale war in Europe.
yep...trickle in troops does not work
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies