Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2019, 12:07 PM

13,310 posts, read 7,890,165 times

Advertisements

Biden has been vaccinated, to keep America healthy.

https://www.zerohedge.com/political/...lking-about-it

Old 09-17-2019, 12:17 PM

20,495 posts, read 12,421,388 times
let me provide an interpretation of the OP.

"hey look at me! i can say vapid things to make myself feel really s m r t!!!! YEAAAA!!!!!!"

Old 09-17-2019, 02:31 PM

10,260 posts, read 6,352,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
^^This. And there is never any documentation of these pronouncements.

In large part, yes, parents of newborns are getting their Tdap. Probably more Moms than Dads. It's recommended during pregnancy for the moms. Since you're so into anecdotes about your family, I'll return it and say that my SIL got his Tdap as well. I know his own mom got one, as did I. Both of our husbands have had cancer treatment recently; I know my husband can't get his vaccines yet following his stem-cell transplant, and I'm not sure what's going on with the other grandfather WRT vaccines.

"Suiting up" as you call it won't do anything to prevent airborne infections. You have to quit breathing.

We get it; nothing is the same as having to get a vaccine. That is sarcasm.
No, go look up the statistics from the CDC. Only about 50% of pregnant women get a tdap or flu shot. I know that the dpt vaccine was changed back in the 90's to dtap, which was not as efficient or long lasting No problem. A tdap booster was created in 2005. Give that to teens and adults. So what???? Just get more and more vaccinations throughout your lifetime. You never outgrow your need/want for more and more vaccines.

My husband recently went to a doctor for an overgrown toenail hurting him. Doctor said there is a new and improved Tetanus shot that I will give you. I will "write it up" so your insurance will pay for it; meaning it was not MEDICALLY NECESSARY for this condition. What was this new vaccine? My guess tdap. This doctor was not fully informing this patient of what he was giving in order to push a tdap on his patient. Besides which, he was LYING to Medicare and committing fraud to increase tdap rates. Maybe he wasn't meeting his vaccination quota?

Quit breathing? MASKS prevent breathing? I can post you a picture right now of my husband holding our newborn daughter, now 40, wearing a mask in the hospital. Not getting into nurses in hospitals refusing flu shots and wearing masks as a substitution.

Old 09-17-2019, 03:00 PM

37,184 posts, read 41,398,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
People who have been vaccinated for pertussis can have asymptomatic pertussis meaning that they show no symptoms yet are contagious. Wouldn’t it be better for Jo to avoid the NICU because she has a cough and knows she might be sick rather then go in because she feels great, yet is contagious with pertussis and in turn spreads it to the babies int he NICU?

Wake up Suzy and strop spreading misinformation. You’re admonishing someone for going into the NICU without having a vaccine that could cause the above scenario. Having the vaccine for pertussis does not protect the babies around you who are most susceptible. It prevents symptoms in adults and children who are not particularly susceptible.
Quote:
I suggest you educate yourself and actually look at the studies and stop getting your info from these types of biased blogs. It goes beyond these two baboons.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4482312/
https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0624071018.htm

https://academic.oup.com/cid/advance...ciz531/5525423
From your Science Daily link:

"Does this mean the current vaccine is useless? Not at all, the pair says. Until researchers can develop a new pertussis vaccine that blocks transmission, the protection the acellular vaccine offers to individuals is vital.

'It's the symptoms of pertussis infection that kill people,' Scarpino says, 'and the existing vaccine prevents the most debilitating effects of whooping cough.'

In that sense, the research underscores the importance of getting vaccinated, especially for children. 'There are lots of people out there who may be transmitting pertussis unknowingly,' Scarpino says. 'Not vaccinating your own child puts her or him at increased risk of severe disease, even death.'"

Your implication is that everyone who gets the vaccine becomes an asymptomatic carrier of pertussis. That is not true.

As far as protecting infants is concerned, this study demonstrated that maternal pertussis vaccination protected very young (less than 3 month old) babies and protected against severe disease requiring hospitalization.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29501321

Another demonstrating that vaccinating the mother during pregnancy protects her infant:

https://pediatrics.aappublications.o...39/5/e20164091

These are the facts:
  • Vaccinating pregnant women against pertussis protects their infants from the disease in the early weeks after birth and reduces the risk of severe disease, hospitalization, and death. All pregnant women should be vaccinated against pertussis during each pregnancy if they have no contraindications to it in order to boost antibody production to pass to the fetus via the placenta.
  • Vaccination against pertussis reduces the risk of symptomatic disease in vaccine recipients. Everyone who has no contraindications to the vaccine should take it.
  • There is active research on producing a better pertussis vaccine. Until there is a better vaccine we use the one we have.

Not vaccinating at all because of concern about asymptomatic carriage of pertussis is unwise. That will result in more sick people and more deaths.

Old 09-17-2019, 03:07 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,588,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
There is plenty of misinformation going around about how MJ is some miracle drug that cures everything from cancer and seizures to being some sort of magic pain killer. None of that is true but it's everywhere.
Pot most certainly does help with pain. Unless you haven’t used it, you have no idea. Would you prefer people continue to die from overdoses if opioids?

Old 09-17-2019, 03:10 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,794,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
From your Science Daily link:

"Does this mean the current vaccine is useless? Not at all, the pair says. Until researchers can develop a new pertussis vaccine that blocks transmission, the protection the acellular vaccine offers to individuals is vital.

'It's the symptoms of pertussis infection that kill people,' Scarpino says, 'and the existing vaccine prevents the most debilitating effects of whooping cough.'

In that sense, the research underscores the importance of getting vaccinated, especially for children. 'There are lots of people out there who may be transmitting pertussis unknowingly,' Scarpino says. 'Not vaccinating your own child puts her or him at increased risk of severe disease, even death.'"

Your implication is that everyone who gets the vaccine becomes an asymptomatic carrier of pertussis. That is not true.

As far as protecting infants is concerned, this study demonstrated that maternal pertussis vaccination protected very young (less than 3 month old) babies and protected against severe disease requiring hospitalization.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29501321

Another demonstrating that vaccinating the mother during pregnancy protects her infant:

https://pediatrics.aappublications.o...39/5/e20164091

These are the facts:
  • Vaccinating pregnant women against pertussis protects their infants from the disease in the early weeks after birth and reduces the risk of severe disease, hospitalization, and death. All pregnant women should be vaccinated against pertussis during each pregnancy if they have no contraindications to it in order to boost antibody production to pass to the fetus via the placenta.
  • Vaccination against pertussis reduces the risk of symptomatic disease in vaccine recipients. Everyone who has no contraindications to the vaccine should take it.
  • There is active research on producing a better pertussis vaccine. Until there is a better vaccine we use the one we have.

Not vaccinating at all because of concern about asymptomatic carriage of pertussis is unwise. That will result in more sick people and more deaths.

I never said to not vaccinate at all. The worry is about vaccinating adults to try to protect infants may not be as wise as we once thought. In fact, it might be dangerous. I also never implied that EVERYONE who gets the pertussis vaccine goes on to become and asymptomatic carrier. Please try not to twist things. It’s not helpful.

Old 09-17-2019, 04:21 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,980,359 times
When the govt and media tell you over and over and over and over to vaccinate ...

And anyone who dares to ask ANY question -- no matter what the question -- is ridiculed, insulted, dismissed, and then targeted ...

it makes you wonder why. /shrug/

Old 09-17-2019, 06:27 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,966,390 times
Quote:
I never said to not vaccinate at all. The worry is about vaccinating adults to try to protect infants may not be as wise as we once thought. In fact, it might be dangerous. I also never implied that EVERYONE who gets the pertussis vaccine goes on to become and asymptomatic carrier. Please try not to twist things. It’s not helpful.
Actually, you did imply the blue. That's why you think vaccinating adults for pertussis might be dangerous.

Both the CDC and the AAP (American Academy of Pediatrics) support cocooning, that is, vaccinating contacts of newborns. To imply otherwise is dishonest. To say it is dangerous is stirring up FUD (Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt) about vaccinating, in addition to being dishonest. Dishonesty is not helpful.
https://www.cdc.gov/pertussis/downlo...andparents.pdf
https://www.aap.org/en-us/Documents/..._pertussis.pdf

Your first two links in post #180 are basically a report of the same study, done in 2015. Interestingly, the original article recommends vaccinating pregnant women, which has been done in the US since 2011. (This was a British study)

The third, from this year, makes no recommendations. You gave a lofty explanation of how you look at replication of studies when you evaluate scientific literature. Has this study been replicated?

Old 09-17-2019, 06:28 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,966,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
No, go look up the statistics from the CDC. Only about 50% of pregnant women get a tdap or flu shot. I know that the dpt vaccine was changed back in the 90's to dtap, which was not as efficient or long lasting No problem. A tdap booster was created in 2005. Give that to teens and adults. So what???? Just get more and more vaccinations throughout your lifetime. You never outgrow your need/want for more and more vaccines.

My husband recently went to a doctor for an overgrown toenail hurting him. Doctor said there is a new and improved Tetanus shot that I will give you. I will "write it up" so your insurance will pay for it; meaning it was not MEDICALLY NECESSARY for this condition. What was this new vaccine? My guess tdap. This doctor was not fully informing this patient of what he was giving in order to push a tdap on his patient. Besides which, he was LYING to Medicare and committing fraud to increase tdap rates. Maybe he wasn't meeting his vaccination quota?

Quit breathing? MASKS prevent breathing? I can post you a picture right now of my husband holding our newborn daughter, now 40, wearing a mask in the hospital. Not getting into nurses in hospitals refusing flu shots and wearing masks as a substitution.
50% is a lot more than 0%, which is what the percent was before ACOG made its recommendation. Masks aren't that effective.

Old 09-17-2019, 07:51 PM

37,184 posts, read 41,398,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
"You guess"?

You do not even know for sure what the vaccine was but you are accusing the doctor of Medicare fraud?

There does not need to be a reason to offer the Tdap. Adults (except pregnant women) only need one lifetime dose, and it is covered under Medicare Part D.

It is impossible not to be fully informed about any vaccine unless you cannot read (in that case someone could read it to you) or refuse to read the Vaccination Information Statement given to anyone who gets a vaccine. If your husband had chosen to take the vaccine he would have been given a copy. It clearly describes the diseases the vaccine protects against.

Giving the patient the VIS before he takes the vaccine is required by Federal law.

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/hcp/vis...facts-vis.html

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/hcp/vis...ments/tdap.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies