Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of the 2 major parties is the party of Family Values?
Republicans 30 27.03%
Democrats 25 22.52%
Both about the same 10 9.01%
Neither 46 41.44%
Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2019, 10:00 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,539,319 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDann636 View Post
The leader of the Republican Party, President Trump, has 5 children with three different women. One out of wedlock. I’m old enough to remember when Nelson Rockefeller’s divorce caused a stir. Times change, people have moved past the “Family Values” rhetoric.
Indeed times have changed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2019, 10:14 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,621,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusillirob1983 View Post
https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2...-consequences/

I am guessing most people's tax break was merely a blip, assuming your income and deductions were consistent year over year from '17 to '18. Mine went down a few hundred dollars. That's barely a noticeable amount.
From your link:

Quote:
On average, in 2018, taxes declined for everyone,
Like I said, feel free to give yours back.

Old 09-16-2019, 11:19 AM

16,087 posts, read 10,753,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDann636 View Post
The leader of the Republican Party, President Trump, has 5 children with three different women. One out of wedlock. I’m old enough to remember when Nelson Rockefeller’s divorce caused a stir. Times change, people have moved past the “Family Values” rhetoric.
Certainly local and state level Republicans did not get the memo and continue to make fools of themselves by claiming to have Family Values. They even claim to be patriotic. We don't hear national GOP leaders talk about it as much because it is too embarrassing with that stinking carcass of President Trump getting their full support. They are trying to keep their heads down..."Family Values? Move along people -- there's nothing to see here".

Old 09-16-2019, 04:20 PM

62,959 posts, read 29,152,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
Certainly local and state level Republicans did not get the memo and continue to make fools of themselves by claiming to have Family Values. They even claim to be patriotic. We don't hear national GOP leaders talk about it as much because it is too embarrassing with that stinking carcass of President Trump getting their full support. They are trying to keep their heads down..."Family Values? Move along people -- there's nothing to see here".
And as I said, the only family values that the Democrats are interested in are for illegal aliens not our own citizens. You juvenile reference to our president is duly noted also.

Old 09-16-2019, 04:40 PM

19,804 posts, read 9,367,244 times
Define family values.

Until about 1975 or so, I think that most people could define this term fairly easily.*

Not today, though, I think.

*For most people, I think this definition would include married heterosexual parents who taught good moral and ethical behavior to their children, who supported these children with their earnings, who believed in families usually eating breakfast and dinner together and often playing together (at least some of the time), who believed that everyone in the family over the age of three or so should do something in the way of chores to help the family as a whole, and mutual respect and consideration by and for every member of the family, including relatives (especially older ones). Now, however, I think that this definition would be met with derision by a very large segment of the population.

Last edited by katharsis; 09-16-2019 at 04:49 PM..

Old 09-16-2019, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
It is never used by anyone other than lefties, which is why you'll never hear it anywhere else.

It is a straw man meme. Same as calling Demcorats "weak on defense" which is a straw man meme Republicans/righties use to attack Democrats, when Democrats fling missiles, do drone strikes and garrison troops all over the world all the time, without fail. Obama, Clinton, Carter, Johnson, JFK...war mongers all of them, just wrapped in prettier, more noble sounding rhetoric.

Both parties use these ancient straw man memes against the other. It's all party of the intellectually retarded kabuki called American politics.
That might be true today, but back in the 70's and 80's, the terms "moral majority" and "silent majority" were frequently written and heard; and the Republicans (to whom these terms were mostly applied) were proud to have those labels applied to them and often used these terms in speeches. I know this for a fact because I was in my late teens and 20's then, and I remember.

https://www.britannica.com/topic/Moral-Majority

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silent_majority

Old 09-16-2019, 04:54 PM

6,658 posts, read 4,748,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal77 View Post

We need to vote out career politicians, invoke campaign finance reform, pull lobbyist money out, and set term limits.
Hard to do that when the Democratic party receives huge contributions from Silicon Valley, Hollywood, Wall Street and Big Pharma

Old 09-16-2019, 04:56 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,406,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuakerBaker View Post
No party is perfectly good or perfectly bad.

However, don't the Republicans have to stop with the "party of family values" that I see their party claim?

Family values is more than just abortion....(I am pro-Life btw)...

I am sorry, but Trump....even if you like his policies....well, he is very rude, offensive, vulgar, and insulting to millions in a way that is not family orientated.

Percentage wise few Republicans call him out for it.

I've seen a Republican family disown a LGBTQ child...sickening family value right there in my estimation.

The Democrats aren't perfect either, but they have families that they love just the same with policies in their minds that assist families like healthcare, etc...

Is it not true that neither party holds a monopoly on family values? To be honest, I think both parties could improve on this if they put their mind to it.
Is abortion a family value?

Old 09-16-2019, 05:56 PM

In short, I think the Democrats put the rights of the individual (as long as that individual is not straight and white) over those of any family unless that family happens to be here illegally or is headed by a single parent.

However, OTOH, I think that although Republicans say they value families, they don't truly care at all about them unless they belong to the 'moneyed' class.

In other words, I don't believe that either party is truly "the party of family values" for the typical U.S. family, which is still headed by two married parents. (61% according to the following link, and my guess would be that most of that 61% is straight.)

https://www.pewsocialtrends.org/2015...-family-today/

Old 09-16-2019, 08:46 PM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,760,657 times
Neither party is the part of values. But oh, how they both like to pander with rhetoric and free stuff to make you think they care.
To be honest, they shouldn’t care. Certainly not to the extent we “allow” them to. In a truly free country, we would understand it’s not the government’s job to be our grandpa, showering us with his wisdom and money.
No, just keep us sovereign and safe, Uncle Sam. I can get life coaching and healthcare from more reputable sources.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies