Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2019, 08:14 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,878,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimAZ View Post
Nice try, but the investigation was focused on Biden's son. Yes it would embarrass Joe Biden, but as you well know that tactic is common in big-boy-pants politics.

LBJ once sent out flyers that accused a political opponent of bestiality. His campaign manager was furious and said you can’t do that, it’s not true! LBJ just smiled and said “I know, but I want to hear the SOB deny it”
Nice try, but you should review the "transcript". President Trump particularly mentions Biden AND his son. I don't care if "that tactic is common in big-boy-pants politics". I care that President Trump asked a foreign leader to dig up dirt that would harm a political foe. The President has an obligation to the American people to maintain a high ethical standard. One of the things Presidents aren't supposed to do is to ask for foreign assistance to deal with political foes.

When LBJ sent out those flyers, he was acting as LBJ the candidate.

When President Trump spoke to the Ukrainian president, it was as President of the United States. Not as a political candidate. Because the President of the United States isn't allowed to contact foreign leaders as the political candidate. We have laws and rules about that. Laws and rules that exist to protect the authority and weight of the office of the Presidency, laws and rules that exist to protect the integrity of the election process.

Old 09-27-2019, 08:15 AM

2,029 posts, read 2,361,633 times
Quote:
Nice try, but the investigation was focused on Biden's son. Yes it would embarrass Joe Biden, but as you well know that tactic is common in big-boy-pants politics.

LBJ once sent out flyers that accused a political opponent of bestiality. His campaign manager was furious and said you can’t do that, it’s not true! LBJ just smiled and said “I know, but I want to hear the SOB deny it”
God, what is wrong with you Republican apologists who will go to no ends to protect corruption and the now tainted Republican party. Big boy politics? You mean swine rolling in the mud? That has no place in this DEMOCRACY. It was dirt to discredit Biden, not embarrass him. The only thing embarrassing is corruption protectors like yourself in this country.

Old 09-27-2019, 08:18 AM

5,168 posts, read 3,088,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Nice try, but you should review the "transcript". President Trump particularly mentions Biden AND his son. I don't care if "that tactic is common in big-boy-pants politics". I care that President Trump asked a foreign leader to dig up dirt that would harm a political foe. The President has an obligation to the American people to maintain a high ethical standard. One of the things Presidents aren't supposed to do is to ask for foreign assistance to deal with political foes.

When LBJ sent out those flyers, he was acting as LBJ the candidate.

When President Trump spoke to the Ukrainian president, it was as President of the United States. Not as a political candidate. Because the President of the United States isn't allowed to contact foreign leaders as the political candidate. We have laws and rules about that. Laws and rules that exist to protect the authority and weight of the office of the Presidency, laws and rules that exist to protect the integrity of the election process.
What law was violated? I understand you don’t want to see Biden humiliated, but what specific law did the President violate? I see no nexus to any U.S. law.

Old 09-27-2019, 08:20 AM

Quote:
It was a Ukrainian investigation, under Ukrainian law. Where is the nexus to any U.S. law?

This is just another manufactured media frenzy. The dogs are barking and ratings are up for the “news” outlets. Mission accomplished.
It's not a manufactured frenzy. I'm sorry that you don't get it, but there are actually laws regarding how a person can campaign for election in the United States. And President Trump thinks he can ignore those laws, because he thinks he cannot be prosecuted for crimes while he is in office. The truth is that the President of the United States is not above the law. And he has an incredible amount of power that he can use to hide any criminal acts that he may engage in, but things do come out. The President is not above the law.

Old 09-27-2019, 08:24 AM

8,502 posts, read 3,341,588 times
Quote:
It was a Ukrainian investigation, under Ukrainian law. Where is the nexus to any U.S. law?

This is just another manufactured media frenzy. The dogs are barking and ratings are up for the “news” outlets. Mission accomplished.
The nexus is to the US constitution that provides the President with the authority to conduct US diplomacy. Obama had assigned Biden to oversee US efforts to tamp down Ukrainian corruption. We were investing substantial $$$ in Ukraine. It was a bulwark between Russia and our Euro allies.

The original impetus that we should advocate for the removal of the prosecutor general reportedly came from the then US ambassador to Ukraine.

Old 09-27-2019, 08:25 AM

5,168 posts, read 3,088,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justabystander View Post
God, what is wrong with you Republican apologists who will go to no ends to protect corruption and the now tainted Republican party. Big boy politics? You mean swine rolling in the mud? That has no place in this DEMOCRACY. It was dirt to discredit Biden, not embarrass him. The only thing embarrassing is corruption protectors like yourself in this country.
And HRC/DNC paying for the “golden showers” dossier was OK?

Hypocrisy much?

Old 09-27-2019, 08:29 AM

Quote:
What law was violated? I understand you don’t want to see Biden humiliated, but what specific law did the President violate? I see no nexus to any U.S. law.
The President asked the Ukrainians to do him a political favor. The favor has value, or the President would not have requested it. While determining how much value the favor has may be difficult or even impossible, the fact is that President Trump asked a foreign government to give him assistance in getting re-elected. Maybe not in those words, but that is what the request was about.

President Trump is keenly aware of how an investigation of his political foes can help his election efforts. It was an announcement of an FBI investigation into Secretary Clinton's e-mails just days before the vote that in all probability led to President Trump's victory. So an investigation into Biden and Biden's son would certainly be seen as helpful to the upcoming election that President Trump is hoping to win.

Asking a foreign government for assistance to win an election in the United States is a violation of American law.

Old 09-27-2019, 08:35 AM

3,100 posts, read 3,302,170 times
This entire argument is basically the "I could go out on 5th Ave. and shoot someone" theory in play.

Old 09-27-2019, 08:37 AM

Quote:
And HRC/DNC paying for the “golden showers” dossier was OK?

Hypocrisy much?
I suspect you are being deliberately obtuse. The dossier was originally requested and paid for by Republicans. The money went to an American company. That American company paid a member of the intelligence community who was foreign to compile the dossier, but that intelligence community agent had worked with American intelligence services in the past, and had a credible and respected reputation.

The AMERICAN company that had commissioned the dossier then offered it to the DNC.

So, totally different scenario. Secretary Clinton was not the President of the United States, and she was not asking a foreign leader for a favor to dig up dirt on her political opponents.

President Trump reached out as the President of the United States, to a foreign leader, and did ask that foreign leader for a favor to dig up dirt on his political opponents.

Old 09-27-2019, 08:37 AM

8,502 posts, read 3,341,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
The President asked the Ukrainians to do him a political favor. The favor has value, or the President would not have requested it. While determining how much value the favor has may be difficult or even impossible, the fact is that President Trump asked a foreign government to give him assistance in getting re-elected. Maybe not in those words, but that is what the request was about.

President Trump is keenly aware of how an investigation of his political foes can help his election efforts. It was an announcement of an FBI investigation into Secretary Clinton's e-mails just days before the vote that in all probability led to President Trump's victory. So an investigation into Biden and Biden's son would certainly be seen as helpful to the upcoming election that President Trump is hoping to win.

Asking a foreign government for assistance to win an election in the United States is a violation of American law.
RudyG mouthing off various conspiracy theories entertains and engages the base but they’ll vote for him regardless. Trump needed an actual investigation in progress - one this time with Hunter Bidens name attached to it. Not that an investigation is any proof of wrongdoing but it plays better than just RudyG and company.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies