Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2019, 05:05 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,371,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwood66 View Post
Get on with it. Prove it. And don't take a year to do it.
It will take months at the minimum. of the 3 impeachments, one lasted 11 months (Johnson), one 5 (Clinton), and one close to 2 years (Nixon, who resigned before the impeachment order was delivered).

This one won't be as complicated as Nixon's, nor will proceed as speedily as Clinton's. I expect it will take about 6-7 months, considering the time of year and the demands of the upcoming campaign season in 2020.

This December is going to be a dead month in Congress as it always is, and I think it will take 5 other months before it ends in the House.

If it goes into a Senate trial, it may take over 2-3 months longer, as it would proceed exactly like any trial does now, with witnesses, a full set of prosecution and defense arguments , and the jury deliberation of the entire Senate as the jury. The judge would be Chief Justice Roberts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2019, 05:31 PM

3,562 posts, read 4,396,439 times
But what did Uncle trump do? He did nothing wrong. He's as innocent as a little furry putty tat! "You people" are reading far too much into this. He's a good man. "Believe me when I tell ya'."

Boo-hoo!

Old 09-29-2019, 05:35 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,414,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Interesting. One aways wonders how many Americans approve of this or that. In other words, where is the bottom?

Given the numbers for two years I imagined it would be hard for Trump to poll at less than 39-40% on ANY issue - after all, if insulting war heroes, grabbing P and the thousands of other things didn't change their minds, why would a silly issue like "pay for play" with Taxpayer money and National Security do so?

We may get to find out where that bottom is. I would be happily surprised if low-information voters learned something but I wouldn't bet on it.

The Great Recession, two wars and the breaking of virtually everything got GW down to about 30% - so I am considering that the very very bottom. One must realize that a lot of people in this country make their living from their relationship to the money involved (resource extraction, military industrial complex, etc.), so it would never get down to 10 or 20%.

It's interesting to look at the Nixon numbers. He bottomed out at 24%. GW at 30% (28% actually)......

So for all those people who keep talking about a "divided country", some historical study may be wise. It may be simply that the "office of the president" was given a bunch of extra slack by some voters but now that red may be on the way out?

The real question here is whether Congress and the Senate will follow the lead of the public....they do, after all, represent the People.
Impeachment polling is now about where Trump’s approval has been so it’s about 55/45 for impeachment.

That basically means pretty much all those who disapproved of Trump before are now ok with impeachment.

I don’t expect the support to rise much more unless additional evidence comes out.

Old 09-29-2019, 05:38 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,414,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
It will take months at the minimum. of the 3 impeachments, one lasted 11 months (Johnson), one 5 (Clinton), and one close to 2 years (Nixon, who resigned before the impeachment order was delivered).

This one won't be as complicated as Nixon's, nor will proceed as speedily as Clinton's. I expect it will take about 6-7 months, considering the time of year and the demands of the upcoming campaign season in 2020.

This December is going to be a dead month in Congress as it always is, and I think it will take 5 other months before it ends in the House.

If it goes into a Senate trial, it may take over 2-3 months longer, as it would proceed exactly like any trial does now, with witnesses, a full set of prosecution and defense arguments , and the jury deliberation of the entire Senate as the jury. The judge would be Chief Justice Roberts.
I disagree they are going to do it quickly, probably have the House vote within 2 months, and the Senate trial prob another 2-3 months additional.

The Dems don’t want impeachment coverage drowning out their 2020 candidate’s message.

Old 09-29-2019, 05:38 PM

13,900 posts, read 9,773,129 times
Impeachment is a no brainer. Trump needs to be impeached and it will fire up the democratic base. Just do it.

Old 09-29-2019, 07:01 PM

7,473 posts, read 4,017,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
sorry.....you apparently don't know how such polls work.

Other than Rasmussen and a few outliers, polling firms want to continue doing their jobs. They want to be respected for their methods and results. It's not a perfect science but it is as close as it can be.

As one example, a few elections back 538 was 100% with every single Senate race. Even the 2016 POTUS election was within their margin of error.

Data doesn't mean everything....BUT, considering that "one side" has been constantly posting here that Americans do not and will not support this, the trend is not your friend.
In the great scheme of things me "knowing" whether polls work this way or that way is not of great import to me. My point being as you stated yourself...….."its not a perfect science" . Its kind of like reading your blood pressure...……..in the morning it could be normal...…. two hours later its high. Polling people one day...…..the next its entirely different.

Old 09-29-2019, 07:19 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,678,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
Impeachment polling is now about where Trump’s approval has been so it’s about 55/45 for impeachment.

That basically means pretty much all those who disapproved of Trump before are now ok with impeachment.

I don’t expect the support to rise much more unless additional evidence comes out.
But you have to admit there is a BIG difference between "no approving" of the President (that usually means his job in total) and approval of impeachment????

Usually those two things would be separated quite a bit - which lends some credibility to my theory that the 55 is a trend - upward - toward perhaps 60% or possibly as high as 65%. This depends, of course, on the evidence coming out.

The problem with any "don't impeach - just wait for the election" thinking is that it is somewhat the same as the GOP "we can't let Obama appoint a SCOTUS judge" action. Now that the GOP did it, it's fair game...and if Ginsburg dies or something we'd be screaming holy murder is the GOP doesn't agree that "the people should decide"....because it's 12 months instead of 11 (or whatever).

The precedent is set.....and that, most would agree, is bad for the Republic. If there is going to be a law about such things it should simply be enshrined in code as "no POTUS shall appoint a SCOTUS or another other lifetime appointment within 90 days of a POTUS election" or something of the sort.

Same with impeachment. If Trump is allowed to flaunt the laws, norms, constitution and such....to ANY extent...time and time again, what stops any future POTUS from doing the same or more?

Nothing.

The reason the minority (Republicans) keep winning is that we liberals think that way. It's not "win at ANY cost and then do what you want". It's more about what is right under our system.

Old 09-29-2019, 07:22 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,343,474 times
I saw three impeachment stickers this weekend. Haven't seen a MAGA sticker in months. Dotard's reign of idiocy is nearing its bitter end.

Old 09-29-2019, 07:37 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,490,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
I saw three impeachment stickers this weekend. Haven't seen a MAGA sticker in months. Dotard's reign of idiocy is nearing its bitter end.

Lots of choices for stickers.

https://www.redbubble.com/people/ele...each?p=sticker

https://www.redbubble.com/people/tuf...chTerm=impeach

Old 09-29-2019, 08:22 PM

13,264 posts, read 7,316,697 times
Impeachment has little to no support in the senate going forward with this is risky because it could end up blowing back in the DEMS faces. American public really doesn't care much about what is going on in Ukraine my guess is majority doesn't support sending aid to Ukraine. That would be like Russia sending aid to Mexican drug cartels.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies