Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2019, 12:00 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,707,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Life is how you make it. It's not about being liberal or conservative. For an example in a negative way, celebrating getting two part time jobs after being jobless by getting a DUI and losing both jobs as a result.

I can agree with Republicans when they talk about taking on personal responsibility, but they don't talk much about how to make people be responsible for themselves. It would help low income people to raise the minimum wage, but Republicans are quite strongly against doing that.

Values, normative behaviors and beliefs are transmitted by culture.....where you live. In other words, your environment is the most profound influence on your beliefs and values. The problem is poor people living around poor people. White people live around white people. Rich people live around rich people. Black people live around black people. If rich, poor, black, white, latino....were all well integrated we would all share the same culture and behaviors and outcomes over time. The problem is that rich people do not want to live around poor people. White people do not want to live around black people. I am not going to say that black people do not want to live around white people, because we were the ones fighting for integration and whites were the ones vacating when when we started integrating.

If you want people to be more like your group.....you first have to welcome them into your group. Live with them, worship with them, go to school with them.....and eventually there will be no more "them" just "we". You were not born with what you know. You LEARNED it from your environment, for the most part. I am sure there are exceptions to the rule.

Last edited by Indentured Servant; 09-27-2019 at 12:24 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2019, 12:04 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,363,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
One of the most popular mantras of the political right is that the left promotes and coddles a victim mentality. Indeed, one of the favorite attacks on liberals, in particularly blacks, is that they see themselves as "victims" and are always "blaming".

Has the right ever tried introspection? Do they realize that they are constantly BLAMING things on liberalism? Indeed, how often have you heard or read a conservative blaming the problems of cities like Chicago, Detroit, Baltimore, Cleveland, etc.....on liberalism? How often have you heard the right blame the conditions of blacks on liberalism? How often have you heard how "Great society programs" have ruined the country?

In truth, what the right is telling people, particularly blacks, is that they are the VICTIMS of liberalism. Not only are blacks victims, but they are actually being ENSLAVED by liberalism. Ergo...."get off the democratic plantation". Liberalism is a "plantation" and the legacy of that term, for blacks, connotes victimization. They are saying that blacks are being hurt by the democratic party and policies. That is "blaming" and that is saying they are "victims".

Can any conservative deny, with intellectual integrity, that they blame things on liberalism? Can any conservative deny that they see certain cities and peoples as being victimized by liberalism? If conservatives blame and see people being victimized.....why do they have a problem with others seeing that they have been victimized? Is it because there is disagreement on who or what the victimize-r is?

The issue, for conservative, is really not people being blamed or people seeing themselves as victims. The problem that conservatives have is who or what is being blamed and said to be the perpetrators of the victimization.
You're both crybabies. Team Red and Team Blue.

You deserve each other.

Old 09-27-2019, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
Policies like property taxes and school policies are made by the community through our local, democratic elections. If we don't like the policies the community has voted to enact we can just accept the decisions of the election even though unhappy with them, move somewhere else where the political policies better fit our views, or work through the electoral process to change those policies. adults have choices.

Whether you accept what comes of it or not, the fact is that it will explain things.....like why you don't have as much money.....if your taxes are going up. What you often see on the left as the "victim mentality" is when things are EXPLAINED pointing to how an outside force resulted in a loss for you or your group. For example, the government enacted an imminent domain law and confiscated your land. If someone asked you later on....what happened to your land, you saying that the government took it is the explanation. However, if you are pro government or work for the government that took the land.....the persons explanation is an example of a "victim mentality", because the government does not want to be seen for doing wrong.

The whole issue of the victim mentality is actually a smoke screen. It's not that the right has a problem with the idea the people and groups can be and are sometimes victimized. Rather, the right just really have a problem with who is being exposed as those doing or have done the victimizing.

Old 09-27-2019, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
I honestly don't understand much of what you wrote above (sorry), but you are wrong in saying what I bolded because several posters here on C-D have said that all of a group's problems (usually the black or the poor or both) have occurred and exist because they are victims. They do not say "many" or "most" but ALL. So you are wrong.

And, no, I cannot provide links because these comments were posted in threads pertaining to other subjects. Either believe it or not, I don't care because I remember.

SHow me! You are reading what you want to read. Show me! Quote them!

I said what I said because you implied that liberals try to make it seem like ALL, of an entity that is poor or not in the majority, problems are due to being victims (or something outside of themselves). No they don't!!!! Just because liberals seek to help a demographic with a problem they have that may be due to things like racism, that does not mean that liberals believe that all this demographics problems are the result of racism. That is how YOU interpret it.

Speaking only for myself, I am only explaining the differentials....not the absolutes. In other words, if the black poverty rate is 24% while the white poverty rate is 10% (not sure what the actual rates are)....my argument about racism and victimization seeks to explain why the black rate is higher than the white rate and NOT to suggest that if there was no racism that the black rate of poverty would be ZERO, which would be the case for someone blaming ALL OF BLACK PROblEms on being victims of racism.

Old 09-27-2019, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aileesic View Post
Another victim = race thread which equals damned if you do, damned if you don't. What everyone seems to want is to be able to do whatever they want (historically and presently), without any consequences. This applies to liberals and conservatives.

Wrong. You can be a victim of all sorts of things....INCLUDING RACE. The right just seems to want to take race and racism off the table when explaining the poor conditions of peoples and places and have it replaced with LIBERALISM as the victimizing force. Victim = MANY THINGS, including but not limited to RACE.

Old 09-27-2019, 12:27 PM

6,835 posts, read 2,400,677 times
Both sides will orchestrate the victim mentality. In terms of being such a victim that is necessary to be an SJW or have an SJW slant, I think the Left is more guilty of that.

Old 09-27-2019, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eumaois View Post
Both sides will orchestrate the victim mentality. In terms of being such a victim that is necessary to be an SJW or have an SJW slant, I think the Left is more guilty of that.

Conservatism, therefore, following your logic, if what you become to PREVENT being a victim (of liberalism). Call them....Traditional American Warriors (TAW). Keep America like it was....or Make back to like it was.....aka....MAGA. Those on the right see DIVERSITY as a form of victimization to "traditionalist".

Old 09-27-2019, 12:40 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,737,137 times
I think it's pretty rich to have you lecture Conservatives when every last one of your posts is about what a victim you are because you're black in evil Whitey's world.

Old 09-27-2019, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
I think it's pretty rich to have you lecture Conservatives when every last one of your posts is about what a victim you are because you're black in evil Whitey's world.

I never portrayed myself as a "victim". Show any post where I have done such.

Old 09-27-2019, 12:46 PM

7,520 posts, read 2,809,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
One of the most popular mantras of the political right is that the left promotes and coddles a victim mentality. Indeed, one of the favorite attacks on liberals, in particularly blacks, is that they see themselves as "victims" and are always "blaming".

Has the right ever tried introspection? Do they realize that they are constantly BLAMING things on liberalism? Indeed, how often have you heard or read a conservative blaming the problems of cities like Chicago, Detroit, Baltimore, Cleveland, etc.....on liberalism? How often have you heard the right blame the conditions of blacks on liberalism? How often have you heard how "Great society programs" have ruined the country?

In truth, what the right is telling people, particularly blacks, is that they are the VICTIMS of liberalism. Not only are blacks victims, but they are actually being ENSLAVED by liberalism. Ergo...."get off the democratic plantation". Liberalism is a "plantation" and the legacy of that term, for blacks, connotes victimization. They are saying that blacks are being hurt by the democratic party and policies. That is "blaming" and that is saying they are "victims".

Can any conservative deny, with intellectual integrity, that they blame things on liberalism? Can any conservative deny that they see certain cities and peoples as being victimized by liberalism? If conservatives blame and see people being victimized.....why do they have a problem with others seeing that they have been victimized? Is it because there is disagreement on who or what the victimize-r is?

The issue, for conservative, is really not people being blamed or people seeing themselves as victims. The problem that conservatives have is who or what is being blamed and said to be the perpetrators of the victimization.
Why do you care what other people who don't agree with you think or do? Do your own thing. Historically your posts are all about victimhood so there is that. You complain a lot, it's always someone else's fault, especially white people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies