Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2019, 10:17 AM

5,752 posts, read 2,782,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
As someone who cooks most meals at home and loves to use all kinds of ingredients, I do find it disturbing that I have to seek out the international aisle to look for some products. Fish sauce is fish sauce -- why does it have to be in the international section.

Curry -- we have curry spices in the spice section but curry cubes are in the international section.

We have ramen with the pasta -- but isn't it international?

LOL - you get the point.

Just put it with the food groups it belongs to -- English biscuits -- with the American cookies, Hoisin sauce with the condiments.......etc.
if you read the whole article a Hispanic wholesaler (I think) said the products sell better when separated that way. Grocery margins are razor thin, so anything that helps sales will be hard to change.

Old 10-03-2019, 10:23 AM

9,471 posts, read 10,808,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
I thought the original article was one of the stupidest things I've ever read. And then I kept reading ...
Leave it to the left to constantly lower your expectations of sanity and intelligence from your fellow man.

Old 10-03-2019, 10:44 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,615,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCbaxter View Post
if you read the whole article a Hispanic wholesaler (I think) said the products sell better when separated that way. Grocery margins are razor thin, so anything that helps sales will be hard to change.
People don't realize how much research goes into the supermarket shelf.

Old 10-03-2019, 10:48 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,709,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
Leave it to the left to constantly lower your expectations of sanity and intelligence from your fellow man.

Yeah...but the problem is the fallacy of composition. What happens far too often is that ridiculous things may be true in some instances, but then don't go try to apply that to every argument liberals make. If a Latino, Asian or white person make a claim about white racism, tells a story, etc, THAT HAS NO RELEVANCE TO BLACK PEOPLE!!! Its not black people speaking....and hence....don't use it to discredit our history, our grievances, our experiences, our claims...etc.

Black is not synonymous and interchangeable with "People of Color" or "Minorities". I don't recall my parents mentioning "people of color or minorities" working in the fields as share croppers and I do not recall the images of "people of color" being enslaved in America.....just BLACK PEOPLE.

We do what we do because of OUR HISTORY in this nation as BLACK PEOPLE. People of color did not share in that history in degree or kind. Now that America has become more diverse and is not essentially just white and black.....all those non whites that are not black have their own separate stories to tell. There stories are not our stories and our stories are not their stories. Their complaints are not our complaints and our complaints are not their complaints. We might be in the same package, as liberals or as minorities or as "people of color"....but their are distinctions with a difference.

Everybody is riding the coat tail and sacrifices and victories from the BLACK STRUGGLE. Asians, Latinos, Gays, Lesbians, Trans, Handicap....and white women. Now America feels that these groups are "Pilling on" as "Victims" with grievances.....guess who adsorbs the brunt of the anger or the discrediting of the movement for equality.....BLACK PEOPLE. If some other group says or claims something that is kind of ridiculous (it is not for me to judge how offended another minority should by by something).... it goes to discredit black claims to....under the package deal of liberalism, minority, people of color.

Old 10-03-2019, 10:59 AM

3,354 posts, read 1,184,902 times
Well, as a "person of color" and minority with little if any genetic links or heritage passed down from any people of Europe and Asia - for me and my type of folk, anything other than the random gathering of nuts, fruits, and whatever the hunter/gatherer traps, all foods are ethnic foods, and everyone in the majority are "ethnics" to me.

Old 10-03-2019, 11:02 AM

36,539 posts, read 30,871,648 times
Quote:
As someone who cooks most meals at home and loves to use all kinds of ingredients, I do find it disturbing that I have to seek out the international aisle to look for some products. Fish sauce is fish sauce -- why does it have to be in the international section.

Curry -- we have curry spices in the spice section but curry cubes are in the international section.

LOL - you get the point.

Just put it with the food groups it belongs to -- English biscuits -- with the American cookies, Hoisin sauce with the condiments.......etc.
I'm just the opposite, I like to know where to find something. So fish sauce next to the mustard, next to the hot sauce, what about salad dressings? Are those condiments? and where do you put the corn husks? next to the bread?

So if I am making a Asian dish and need rice noodles, fish sauce, ginger and spring roll wrappers I have to circle all over the store, pasta aisle, condiment aisle, bread, and spices

It is confusing. Velveeta cheese is not with the cheese, coconut cream is not in the baking section

Old 10-03-2019, 11:05 AM

36,539 posts, read 30,871,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aileesic View Post
Well, as a "person of color" and minority with little if any genetic links or heritage passed down from any people of Europe and Asia - for me and my type of folk, anything other than the random gathering of nuts, fruits, and whatever the hunter/gatherer traps, all foods are ethnic foods, and everyone in the majority are "ethnics" to me.
Darn, what color are you?

Old 10-03-2019, 11:11 AM

1,830 posts, read 1,359,344 times
Quote:

LOL - you get the point.

That's just too much digging around for each section. Besides, they already do some of that at my market. You can find some common ethnic foods in the regular sections, but they tend to be recognizable American made brands like Old El Paso salsa or tortillas in the condiments and bread aisle, respectively.

The ethnic sections at my market carry more specialized items from their country of origin, which may be specifically desired by people searching for obscure or authentic ingredients. Grouping by ethnicity also makes theme cooking easier for novices who can find almost all the ingredients they need for, say, Italian or Mexican Night in one section.

As for the Asian section in my area, I think it's catering to the folks who buy those items, since folks looking for more authentic or higher quality items have access to so many Asian markets nearby. So the grocery store is probably not catering to that particular demographic. (Loved LaChoy chow mien out of a can over fried bagged noodles as a kid, tho. LOL)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
People don't realize how much research goes into the supermarket shelf.
No doubt. With the advent of computerized technology with algorithms that maximize profit, I'm sure there is a reason behind everything, from what gets stocked, to where it's placed in the store and on the shelf.

Old 10-03-2019, 11:11 AM

3,354 posts, read 1,184,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Darn, what color are you?

Well, I've got mirrors (the world uses color to identify objects and people) plus ancestry to help figure that out, but of course everyone pretends being colorblind and claims nothing matters whenever it's convenient for them.

Old 10-03-2019, 11:26 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,170,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolom View Post
“If you go to the ethnic food aisle, that is sort of the last bastion of racism that you can see in full daylight in retail America,” David Chang

Troubling and problematic.
Some people are wrapped just a little too tight for this world.

He ought to marry Greta Thuneberg. They'd make a great couple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
Any immigrant who is offended by a grocery store's conscientious attempt to accommodate them can get the hell out of my country for all I care.
I could not have said it better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
First of all if everyone assimilated into American culture there would be no need for such aisles......but honestly though I do like foreign foods sometimes and do like that aspect that others bring here to our nation.
Me, too.

And I really like the fact that if I want Asian, Mexican, Jewish or Indian food, I know exactly where to go in the grocery store to find it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolom View Post
Waiting for the day when (white people) buying "ethnic" food is considered "cultural appropriation."
Yeah, well, if those food items were mixed in with classic American food, we'd be accused of both cultural appropriation and cultural genocide.

There's no way to win with nutters like Chang.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies