Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2019, 09:25 AM

20,350 posts, read 19,956,127 times

Advertisements

I'm sure there's a lot of moolah to be made by the politically connected regardless of whether it's cost effective or not.

We're talking serious cash when it comes to new rail projects.

Look at the boondoggle in CA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2019, 09:36 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,774,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
They build a huge rail network in Denver but most of the recent rail lines go through low density areas where there is little demand.

Denver expanded the rail system and spent billions and billions, and now the service is extremely unreliable and about triple-the price of many large cities with far higher taxpayer subsidies.

The price tag for a day on the rails in Denver is $10.50 because they spent way to much money revenue of choo-choo trains where the demand was very weak and now they are making huge cuts to the entire system, the service has become unreliable because they are way overextended and don't have the revenue to keep the service reliable.

I think San Antonio and Phoenix have a perfect balance in their transit systems. A very affordable transit system that is limited and focuses on areas where there is high demand and dense commercial and shopping areas.

Phoenix has a light-rail line that goes through the dense areas of the metropolitan area with a high-frequency connector bus usually to whisk people to other medium-density areas.

San Antonio has an extensive, high-frequency bus system that is affordable that gets people to get to where they need to go, at a low-cost to taxpayers and passengers without having to pay off the debt of multiple-billions of light-rail lines that Denver has.

https://www.thedenverchannel.com/new...-cancellations

https://www.rtd-denver.com/reports-a...ures/fastracks

https://www.rtd-denver.com/services/...ail-system-map
Your link talks about cancellations due to driver shortages. It has little to do with the light rail system itself. Denver has also a very low unemployment rate currently. There have been restaurants that have closed due to not being able to find enough staff, there are hiring signs everywhere you go. It’s a complex issue.

Old 10-06-2019, 09:39 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,700,897 times
Quote:
Denver builds $5 billion dollar rail system, but ridership plummets 14% because service is unreliable and expensive
That is what you say.

This is what the link says: RTD's driver shortages continue to cause daily cancellations

Why the misrepresentation?

Old 10-06-2019, 09:48 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,357,797 times
It was a trade-off when Denver built their light rail system, they were able to save a lot of money and time for construction using old abandoned railroad ROW or building the line next to/in the the median of the interstate. Of course if they plowed through/under the most densely populated areas of the Denver metroplex, it could of taken another 20 or 25 years and $20-30 Billion more, so choose your poison!

I actually like the RTD system, is it perfect, no, is it better than most light rail systems in the US, most definitely.

Old 10-06-2019, 09:53 AM

34,253 posts, read 18,620,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
I don’t understand the appeal of urban rail. A bus can go anywhere, a train can only go where the rails go.
Trains are often better maintained with less problem people in my experience, and I've lived in Denver, San Francisco, Philly, DC and used the rail in all of them. I never considered taking the bus.

Quote:
Granted, in high density cities like New York, subways make sense as a way to reduce traffic by moving people underground. But surface rail in mostly suburban cities? It makes no sense.
Suburban cities?

Old 10-06-2019, 10:02 AM

4,120 posts, read 6,616,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
I don’t understand the appeal of urban rail. A bus can go anywhere, a train can only go where the rails go.

Granted, in high density cities like New York, subways make sense as a way to reduce traffic by moving people underground. But surface rail in mostly suburban cities? It makes no sense.
For large metro's like Denver it makes sense, but you need the infrastructure to support it. Parking lots by the stations, political support, etc.

I live in Northern Atlanta & the Marta station with garages by 8 to 8:30 are full. Why? because it's faster & easier to take the train, because you know the train schedule & have a time you are going to arrive by 99% of the time. Buses are subject o street traffic & are not as comfortable as rail or nice.

Old 10-06-2019, 10:23 AM

18,046 posts, read 27,501,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
They build a huge rail network in Denver but most of the recent rail lines go through low density areas where there is little demand.

Denver expanded the rail system and spent billions and billions, and now the service is extremely unreliable and about triple-the price of many large cities with far higher taxpayer subsidies.

The price tag for a day on the rails in Denver is $10.50 because they spent way to much money revenue of choo-choo trains where the demand was very weak and now they are making huge cuts to the entire system, the service has become unreliable because they are way overextended and don't have the revenue to keep the service reliable.

I think San Antonio and Phoenix have a perfect balance in their transit systems. A very affordable transit system that is limited and focuses on areas where there is high demand and dense commercial and shopping areas.

Phoenix has a light-rail line that goes through the dense areas of the metropolitan area with a high-frequency connector bus usually to whisk people to other medium-density areas.

San Antonio has an extensive, high-frequency bus system that is affordable that gets people to get to where they need to go, at a low-cost to taxpayers and passengers without having to pay off the debt of multiple-billions of light-rail lines that Denver has.

https://www.rtd-denver.com/reports-a...ures/fastracks

https://www.rtd-denver.com/services/...ail-system-map
I'd like to understand and/or agree with the OPs references here, but I'd like to shed just a flicker of light to the topic here based on my personal experience and/or observations. For one thing, I moved out of the Denver Metro area in about the tail end of 99' and continued to work up and down the Front Range of CoSprings to Loveland and Greeley until 2002. I don't think I've ever rode that lightrail, so I'm no expert here.

I agree the Denver Metro including Boulder have been tax dollar leeching liberal cesspools, but Denver isn't like your average mid-sized city STatistically.

If you follow stats, the city of Denver is smaller than San Antonio, Austin, Albuquerque, etc. This simply is not true. The Denver Metro greater MSA incorporates Aurora, five counties Adams, Denver, Jefferson, Douglas, Arapahoe, so... Keep this in mind.

Have you ever tried to drive around the Denver Metro? It's a nightmare. Compare the roadways to a rundown but superior eastern town like Rochester New York. There's no comparison.

It's my understanding the Light rail has expanded out to the DTC... Denver Tech Center, Olde Town Arvada? Maybe it's made a run all the way to the Airport? Or at least to Stapleton? What about Thornton-Westminster-Northglenn Area? What about the Littleton-Englewood area?

I don't know where all the lightrail goes, but I know it has a stop at the back end of my alma mater Auraria Campus on Colfax west of Speer, then off to the LoDo Denargo market area, then on towards Stapleton.

Denver Metro is a complicated mess. Any improvement seems necessary, or just bypass that bog, but keep in mind, Denver is VERY isolated from a Metropolitan standpoint. Who are the Enver BronDonkos' nearest neighbors? KC, Arizona Cardinals, the Seagulls, the VHS Cowboys... Think about that.

Oh, I forgot, the Minnesota Viqueens...

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
The cost of living index in Denver is a very high 144.2. A lot of people don't want to move to that part of Colorado without first getting a high paying job and end up among the working poor trying to make ends meet.
You got that right. The Denver Metro is very expensive and wages there are horrible, but not near as bad as the rest of Colorado.

Ask folks from the Black Forest North Colorado Springs and Monument area why they build McMansions there and commute to the Denver Metro DTC for work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Whatever it takes to make Democrats or liberals look bad.

Spare me.

You're gonna upset a few people here, namely Nancy mushy-boned Pelosi, Chucklebuckets Schumer, Maxine Impeach-fotisix-Waters, Schiffy Schiff, Nadler, Fauxa-I-was-pregnantahontas, the Lamestream Blamestream Fakestream Mainstream media, academia, Hollywood, bobby deniro, the View... Hillary-not-my -fault, the "intelligence" gasp haha Community... JOE-He's Not My Son- Biden...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
This is another Trump’s impeachable offense.

Last edited by McGowdog; 10-06-2019 at 11:49 AM..

Old 10-06-2019, 10:52 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,671,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post

This is what the link says: RTD's driver shortages continue to cause daily cancellations

Whatever it takes to make Democrats or liberals look bad. Meanwhile, I wonder how Oklahoma City's new street car system downtown is doing in which Republican leaders got people to vote in favor of.

Old 10-06-2019, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
Your link talks about cancellations due to driver shortages. It has little to do with the light rail system itself. Denver has also a very low unemployment rate currently. There have been restaurants that have closed due to not being able to find enough staff, there are hiring signs everywhere you go. It’s a complex issue.
The cost of living index in Denver is a very high 144.2. A lot of people don't want to move to that part of Colorado without first getting a high paying job and end up among the working poor trying to make ends meet.

Old 10-06-2019, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post

Whatever it takes to make Democrats or liberals look bad. Meanwhile, I wonder how Oklahoma City's new street car system downtown is doing in which Republican leaders got people to vote in favor of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies