Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2019, 11:22 AM

1,672 posts, read 1,253,793 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoOnMyMind View Post
South Park just released an episode called “Band in China”. It highlights how low we will go to make a buck in China, pokes fun at their censorship’s (Winnie the Pooh is banned in China), and the creators issued a fake apology to China that reads:

“Like the NBA, we welcome the Chinese censors into our homes and into our hearts. We too love money more than freedom and democracy. Xi doesn’t look like Winnie the Pooh at all.”

The fearful Communist Party of China have scrubbed South Park from the internet entirely in China.

This is the number one reason China will never become the leader of the free world. Guess which company helped build their internet censorship? Google. Until they recently “reportedly” ended the dragonfly project. Some advocate for human rights Google is
I saw it. I had a feeling that Winnie the Pooh being murdered would trigger the CCP. Matt and Trey knew exactly what they were doing. Makes me wonder what they have planned for the next episode.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2019, 11:26 AM

862 posts, read 520,645 times
Bari Weiss is so much better than the actual NYTimes. Knocks it out of the park, as almost always.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/07/o...hong-kong.html

Old 10-08-2019, 11:26 AM

30,211 posts, read 11,870,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nc17 View Post
I saw it. I had a feeling that Winnie the Pooh being murdered would trigger the CCP. Matt and Trey knew exactly what they were doing. Makes me wonder what they have planned for the next episode.
I can't wait. Safe to say the Chinese government won't get any mercy from them.

Old 10-08-2019, 11:29 AM

30,111 posts, read 18,720,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
There is a way to stop them, simply outlaw any US business from doing business in China and with any Chinese entity. Also outlaw any business in the world doing business in the US if they do it in China.

It makes zero sense that the US spends billions a year countering Chinese military build up, all the while allow US businesses to operate freely there, essentially giving China the funds to build it's military and economic power.

Thank Bill Clinton for the current state of China.

Clinton sold US military technology and widened trade to China in exchange for cash.

This is why it is dangerous to have grifters in the Oval Office.

Old 10-08-2019, 11:45 AM

19,573 posts, read 8,541,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
And if the WH was blasting China on this critics would complain that the trade war had worsened and would call Trump racist for not supporting the NBA on this.

It is quite embarrassing that the NBA is kissing China's behind. Totally unacceptable to me. And Trump's silence is also unacceptable.

I agree with others that its time now to stop doing business with China. Not just us but the rest of the developed world. India, Central America, Haiti? Lets get them up to speed making stuff for us.

I am fine with paying more for things to cut them off. The NBA players should not play their games there and just come home.

China's goals are obvious. They want to dominate the world. And not just economically. The only way they can pull this off is to keep selling everyone their low priced crap. Time to say enough is enough.
Trump and his administration have not been silent on this topic, but they are - correctly - choosing their words carefully.

The right way for this or any other administration to handle this is to make statements promoting universal rights, human rights, democracy and freedom and point those statements at the Chinese.

The Chinese hate it when we do that, by the way.

What this or any other administration should NOT do is align or ally themselves openly with the people of Hong Kong. In fact, this is really a difficult situation, that can be compared to our Revolutionary War, in which we won our independence, and also to our Civil War, in which certain independence minded states tried to break away and were militarily defeated in order to stop them from doing that.

So, which scenario more rightly applies to the people of Hong Kong here? It is tough to say. But it could be that it is the Civil War scenario, in which we decided we had the right and the moral authority to compel seceding states to comply with the decisions of the federal government (the state) here in the US.

Trump or Obama or any president needs to walk a fine line here, promoting the principles in which we believe are universal and truly beneficial for everyone, everywhere.

As far as our level of support for the people of Hong Kong, remember the level of support the French provided to the US during the Revolutionary War back in the late 1700's. The provided financing and some covert assistance, but were very reluctant to fully endorse or openly ally themselves with the currently being born USA. It was not until the battle of Yorktown, when we were in a position to achieve a full victory, that the French came in and blockaded the port, providing us with the critical naval support that we needed to finish off the British. It was truly epic.

This is pretty close to the attitude and posture we need to be maintaining with the people of Hong Kong.

Old 10-08-2019, 12:09 PM

I see your point. However I see Trump being silent on this is because he wants the trade deal with China. Very important for his reelection campaign. I think it has little to do with concern over what happens to Hong Kong.

He said little against Saudi Arabia when they killed the journalist in their embassy. He needs the Saudi's a an ally in the region. And perhaps as a partner in a war against Iran.

Old 10-08-2019, 12:14 PM

5,998 posts, read 2,253,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Thank Bill Clinton for the current state of China.

Clinton sold US military technology and widened trade to China in exchange for cash.

This is why it is dangerous to have grifters in the Oval Office.
A lesson we have yet to learn.

Old 10-08-2019, 12:22 PM

19,573 posts, read 8,541,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
I see your point. However I see Trump being silent on this is because he wants the trade deal with China. Very important for his reelection campaign. I think it has little to do with concern over what happens to Hong Kong.

He said little against Saudi Arabia when they killed the journalist in their embassy. He needs the Saudi's a an ally in the region. And perhaps as a partner in a war against Iran.
That's right. We need to be able to conduct relations with Saudi Arabia and China and every other country, regardless of whether they are in full submission and compliance to all the standards that we believe that they should be adhering to. At the same time, it may come as a shock to some people to realize that these other countries also have problems with many of our policies and actions, and that has been the case going back to the start in 1776.

If we want to have the moral authority to intervene in our states should they try to declare independence and break away, then we have to show respect to other countries when they are dealing with similar problems. Which is what this correctly looks like from a Chinese perspective.

However, we can and have promoted universal values, freedom, democracy, human rights, etc., with regards to both of these countries, and have been covertly involved in promoting those values in China, in Hong Kong, in Suadi Arbaia, in Iran, etc. That is what we can and should continue to do here.

Old 10-08-2019, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post

However, we can and have promoted universal values, freedom, democracy, human rights, etc., with regards to both of these countries, and have been covertly involved in promoting those values in China, in Hong Kong, in Suadi Arbaia, in Iran, etc. That is what we can and should continue to do here.

I guess my issue with Saudi Arabia and Trump is that he seemed to take their side on it at first with the assassination. Coming from the business world you don't normally have to deal with entities that kill others , except perhaps the mafia so it was probably quite an adjustment to deal with countries like Saudi Arabia.

Regarding China it goes much farther than what they are doing in Hong Kong. Perhaps we need a real trade war and pull out of there. Stop prostituting ourselves like the NBA and so many American companies are doing.

Old 10-08-2019, 12:37 PM

29,611 posts, read 16,602,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Why are they kowtowing to China?

As one great comment points out, some idiot takes a knee to protest the anthem and is celebrated for it. Yet someone criticizes a truly oppressive regime and he has to backtrack and apologize for it?

Cowards

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/daryl-m...032946259.html
1. Thats not a great comment.

2. China is doing what Trump wants to do here. If the person who wrote that comment actually believed in what he was saying, he would have supported the idea of that person kneeling, which based on his post, he didnt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies