Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2019, 07:56 PM

5,731 posts, read 2,197,133 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
I generally agree that we should disengage from the Middle East. However, you must do so wisely.

Trump is not doing this wisely, at least according to various experts, including McMaster and Senator Graham.

Why did Mr. Trump visit Saudi Arabia first? I still find that interesting. He saved Israel for second.
You call Graham and McMaster experts, my opinion is we have no experts. We have people that think they understand the region, who have looked at it so closely for so many years they’ve lost sight of the big picture. It’s the most complicated area in the world, with history we can’t begin to understand and a deep rooted hatred for the west. Every move our “experts” made have made things worse. Any solution with our finger prints on it is deemed illegitimate and destined to fail, we have to let them decide their fate.

It’s concerning to see the left align with the neocon groups on the right. I understand you see this as a chance to score points against Trump, but be careful who you agree with, there is a bloody 20 year track record of failed strategy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2019, 07:58 PM

13,695 posts, read 9,019,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
Its simple. You never abandon your allies. Quite frankly what Trump did was treasonous in nature. He abandoned long standing allies. No one in the military would ever agree with this. So when Trump wants to act like he is pro-military well BS.

I agree. Plus, his comment about Kurds not taking part in the Normandy invasion was curious. Saudi Arabia did not partake, either.

Old 10-10-2019, 08:04 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,889,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
I would not have. Betraying your allies like this is unacceptable. It’s weird how so many folks would be willing to throw their honor away for political team waving.
It's weird how some people suddenly find honor when it suits them. You see I think about me when I was a young enlisted person. I joined, proudly to serve and protect my country. To defend it. Imagine my surprise when that included defending Israel, defending a country that knifed us in the back as often as they could. Imagine how I felt when my brothers were blown up in Lebanon.

How about we honor those who serve and not put them at risk needlessly? Im not a peacenik but damn we use our military at the drop of a hat. We won't secure our own borders but we worry about the border between Turkey and Syria.

Honor? Why weren't concerned about honor when Hillary lied about being under sniper fire? Or when we learned that Bill used state Troopers to bring a victim to his hotel room?

How about the honor of a meeting on the tarmac between Bill and Lynch?

Be careful, the left has its own history of abandoning people we promised to help one day.

The Vietnamese after WWII?
Bay of pigs?
The Vietnamese again in the 70's
Poland and Romania
The left would have us forget our Friendship with Taiwan. I know it's such a dirty little secret...

Old 10-10-2019, 08:05 PM

9,742 posts, read 4,501,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
I agree. Plus, his comment about Kurds not taking part in the Normandy invasion was curious. Saudi Arabia did not partake, either.

And it should be obvious. It is why almost everyone in congress/senate is against his move. It is despicable.

But what shold
l we expect from Captain Bonespurs. He has not guts. He does not care about the average american. All he cares is about money.

Old 10-10-2019, 08:05 PM

1,728 posts, read 3,127,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
No its not weird to want stay out of another forever war.

Its comical that war mongering nutcases see themselves as the voice of reason. Delusional even.
Nobody is saying we should stay there forever. If you're going to pull out, you need to have a better plan, give advance warning to your allies AND make sure you consult with your state dept and military leaders about it!

You DO NOT make this decision on a whim after talking to one foreign leader who has the most to gain from this! We need to see a transcript of that discussion!

This self-serving, boneheaded decision was denounced by both GOP and Dem lawmakers alike and resulted in Mattis resigning last year.

It will undo all the hard work and $$ we spent in Syria fighting ISIS. But what do you know of the longterm significance of this decision. You blindly worship a very corrupt buffoon who's about to be impeached very soon.

Old 10-10-2019, 08:06 PM

13,695 posts, read 9,019,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoOnMyMind View Post
You call Graham and McMaster experts, my opinion is we have no experts. We have people that think they understand the region, who have looked at it so closely for so many years they’ve lost sight of the big picture. It’s the most complicated area in the world, with history we can’t begin to understand and a deep rooted hatred for the west. Every move our “experts” made have made things worse. Any solution with our finger prints on it is deemed illegitimate and destined to fail, we have to let them decide their fate.

It’s concerning to see the left align with the neocon groups on the right. I understand you see this as a chance to score points against Trump, but be careful who you agree with, there is a bloody 20 year track record of failed strategy.

Well, if your opinion is that there are no experts, then the conversation stops.

Or, is Donald John Trump an expert?

Old 10-10-2019, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
You sign up in the military to defend the constitution and the values of america, Something you are unwilling to to do do to your ridiculous liberterian views.

I know I have put me beliefs to the test by by sacrifice.
Easy to say when it isn't you or yours being wasted for an issue that is not our affair.
There is a reason we spend more than Russia, France, China, England and name another combined on our military. Its because we keep involving ourselves in fights that aren't ours.

The world sees us as the problem not the solution. We keep playing world cop. WE aren't the world cop and the world would love if we stopped acting like it.

Here is a neat idea. Take it to the UN and let the world body decide what should be done.

Old 10-10-2019, 08:13 PM

407 posts, read 1,559,349 times
Default Lower than a snake's belly...

Deserted, Betrayed ... did we really expect anything different? He capriciously pulled out the small amount of troops that remained, but more importantly the air support, logistics, and munitions we provided (lesser risk) for their incredible efforts - all for him to make a political statement... and a clear signal that it was fair game for Erdogan to wipe out the Kurds. Seriously? Where did this come from NOW? Was it written on his "to do" list for the day? Not even 24 hours later Turkey sent their mercenaries rolling over the border and we are seeing the carnage in real-time.

Now we listen to mealy-mouthed Senators saying how horrible it was. Is that all they've got? There is no way to put this genie back in the bottle, and those people who fought FOR us will be slaughtered. I am still cringing and cannot fathom how the Kurds can be surviving our country's latest thoughtless act.

Whatever you say, we as a nation are all tarred with this yellow-striped brush.

Old 10-10-2019, 08:15 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,604,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Have you ever supported him?
On anything?
Not since I learned he existed, in 1980, No. And if you think I'll do a take back, you are sadly mistaken. He is an A ... that just grew bigger.

Old 10-10-2019, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
Not since I learned he existed, in 1980, No. And if you think I'll do a take back, you are sadly mistaken. He is an A ... that just grew bigger.
I detest the man and always have and always will. I don't however, let that be the deciding factor in my support or non-support of him.

We invaded Syria. We weren't invited. We made matters worse, not better. This was an Obama blunder which followed his Libya blunders.

We should be bringing our troops home. All of them.

In this case it was a rather small number of soldiers pulled from the border area. Odd, how do we justify using our soldiers to secure the border between Syria and Turkey but flip **** when someone wants to use our soldiers to secure our own border? That's an odd one for sure.

Some people hate Trump so bad that they can't ever allow themselves to be even a little objective. I detest the man with all my heart, but he isn't always wrong. Well he's always wrong in how he says things, but he is right about NAFTA was bad for US manufacturing. The Pacific Trade deal wasn't good for US manufacturing, and we are caught between 2 allies one an ally for over 6 decades and one an ally for 2.

I say let the UN figure it out. Isn't that what we spend billions on them to do?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies