Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2019, 06:12 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,176,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bingo3000 View Post
Why?
1. American healthcare and prescription drugs are expensive and even overpriced.
2. American healthcare is topnotch, and our doctors were taught at very expensive universities and went through many years of education and training. Their salaries are costly.
3. Americans are very litigious. Because of ambulance chasing lawyers and their clients, malpractice insurance is very pricey.
4. Americans live very unhealthy lifestyles, especially the poorer people (cigarettes, alcohol, sugary foods, fried foods, soda) so offering universal healthcare would cost too much money.
5. Also, with modern medical advancements, many babies/people with congenital, bad genetics, and other medical ailments are kept alive through expensive procedures and medicines... so that also adds up to the trillions of dollars that would be needed to have universal healthcare in our country.

And until we can build the wall and secure our borders from illegals entering our country for a chance at the American Dream, to offer universal healthcare would make America even more of an attraction for more impoverished people to try to enter our country illegally.

So do the middle class Americans really want to pay more out of their paychecks to fund universal healthcare?

Old 10-20-2019, 07:00 AM

89,029 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
You know nothing about history.
Actually, you're describing yourself.

The Nazis believed in the subjugation of the individual to benefit the collective society, confiscated guns from private citizens, and banned gun ownership. Who does that sound like?

"The higher interests involved in the life of the whole...must set the limits and lay down the duties of the interests of the individual." -Hitler, speaking at Bueckeburg, October 7, 1933

Mussolini coined the term/concept of fascism. He stated the definitive description of fascism as the subjugation of the individual for the benefit of the collective society, as directed by the state. VERY left-wing.

"Anti-individualistic, the Fascist conception of life stresses the importance of the State and accepts the individual only in so far as his interests coincide with those of the State, which stands for the conscience and the universal, will of man as a historic entity. It is opposed to classical liberalism which arose as a reaction to absolutism and exhausted its historical function when the State became the expression of the conscience and will of the people. Liberalism denied the State in the name of the individual; Fascism reasserts the rights of the State as expressing the real essence of the individual." -Benito Mussolini and Giovanni Gentile, The Doctrine of Fascism, 1923

Fascism, incidentally, has fascis as its root word. The meaning is "bundle" and it is used to represent collective power. Collectivism. Left-wing.

It's a shame American public schools do such a p**s poor job teaching history.

Old 10-20-2019, 07:14 AM

2,558 posts, read 2,905,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"The average social security recipient receives 30% more than they put in" Do you have a credible source for that?

"Here are the numbers: A couple who each earned the average wage during their careers and retired in 1990 would have paid $316,000 in Social Security taxes, but collected $436,000 in benefits, according to data crunched by Eugene Steuerle, an economist at the Urban Institute.
Had that couple turned 65 in 2010, however, they would have paid $600,000 in taxes, but could expect to collect just $579,000. This is the first time in the program's history that taxes outweighed benefits for this group, a couple with average earnings.
The imbalance will get more pronounced for future generations of retirees. Couples now in their early 40s will have forked over $808,000 in Social Security taxes by the time they retire, but get back only $703,000 in benefits.

https://money.cnn.com/2013/04/14/new...its/index.html
And your numbers do not count interest accrued if this money was invested or even put into CD's.

Old 10-20-2019, 07:14 AM

9,267 posts, read 5,121,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tb4000 View Post
Who plans to have kids?
I would expect responsible married couples.

Old 10-20-2019, 07:22 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,488,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"The average social security recipient receives 30% more than they put in" Do you have a credible source for that?

"Here are the numbers: A couple who each earned the average wage during their careers and retired in 1990 would have paid $316,000 in Social Security taxes, but collected $436,000 in benefits, according to data crunched by Eugene Steuerle, an economist at the Urban Institute.
Had that couple turned 65 in 2010, however, they would have paid $600,000 in taxes, but could expect to collect just $579,000. This is the first time in the program's history that taxes outweighed benefits for this group, a couple with average earnings.
The imbalance will get more pronounced for future generations of retirees. Couples now in their early 40s will have forked over $808,000 in Social Security taxes by the time they retire, but get back only $703,000 in benefits.

https://money.cnn.com/2013/04/14/new...its/index.html

yet a person making $9/hr for 40 years will get a 3/4 "pension" from SS

person making $9/hr is 18700 per year, or 1500 a month
and will have only paid 109 into SS per month or 52320 in his/her 40 years

yet will receive 911 per month or 10932 per year
and over the 15 year average life span over 65 (from 65 to 80) will receive 163980....3 times what they put in

Old 10-20-2019, 07:22 AM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,760,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwood66 View Post
Because the government screws up every major program it tries.
This.

Nothing to do with racism.
Because the government is bad at literally everything.

Nothing to do with profiteering.
Because the government is inept.

Nothing to do with anti-immigration.

Why give the federal government more responsibility when it’s shown complete incompetence in virtually everything it does?

Labor unions? Please. They’re power mongers just like the worst of corporations. Two peas in a pod.

Old 10-20-2019, 07:42 AM

3,288 posts, read 2,360,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Short answer:

Because America's "health care system" isn't about health care.

That was easy.

Yet we eradicated many disease such as small pox and chicken pox. Yet, many of my friends are still alive thanks to advances in medical science. Yet, our life expectancy has gone from around 45 years old in 1900 to 75 years old today, and I have in laws who well into their 90s and doing good. So, I guess it is about healthcare. That doesn’t mean some greedy people are looking to make a business out of it. It’s the best in the world, plain and simple. That was easier.

Old 10-20-2019, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Yes, you can opt out by refusing to work and pay no taxes and have no money or health care at all and become a homeless person and starve to death instead.
Or just work off the books like many people do.

Old 10-20-2019, 07:59 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,488,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trusso11783 View Post
Or just work off the books like many people do.

and that right there is the problem with taxing income

get rid of income tax, and tax spending.... a consumption tax

www.fairtax.org

Old 10-20-2019, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Why doesn't America have universal health care?

Because there are people who mistakenly believe UHC is some kind of communism, but mainly it's because there is no profit in it.
No, Universal Healthcare means that most of us, who already have the health insurance we are happy with, will now pay more money in taxes to pay to subsidize healthcare for those who cannot afford it. Well, since I have no desire to do that, money will be stolen from me to do so. That is absurd. That would be like taxing everyone so that EVERYONE can buy a house because they cannot afford it,
. As idiotic as that sounds, Bill and Hillary seemed to suggest that everyone should be able to own a home, hence the housing crash. So, if you cannot afford it, ypu do without. I have been on hard times in the past and had no health insurance. I had to pay out of pocket, or simply get us ads of dollars that I had to pay off. That was my own fault for not having insurance at the time. That was my responsibility. No one offered to pay for my bills and I would not accept it if they did. I am not a leech and I am too proud to take assistance. Unfortunately, the majority of people in this country have no shame or pride to fend for themselves so they hold their hands out to the responsible people.

So, I don’t think that universal healthcare is a form of communism. It is more a form of theft of my assets to pay for others who can’t keep their heads above water. I have my own family to worry about. I have no interest on helping others before my own family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies