Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2019, 08:58 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,856,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPLimey View Post
Who is proposing that the government run your life from the cradle to the grave? Do you have a link?
A link? Why don't you ask big government for the answer?

Why do you need government to tell you, an adult, that you cannot use marijuana? An adult should be able to figure that out for themselves.

Why do you need government to help you with a retirement plan like Social Security? An adult should be able to figure that out for themselves.

You need government to go to a restaurant for 1 hour a day, in a year in order to tell you that restaurant is okay to frequent? An adult should be able to figure that out for themselves.
Heaven forbid that an adult would ever attempt to purchase from a childs lemonade stand. We need government to prevent that for our own good, right?

You need governments permission to home school your own kid? Since when is government responsible for your child?

Since when do I need governments permission to choose which gun is the okay for me to use to defend myself? Can't an adult do that?

You don't see any of that? lol Take off your blinders.

Explain to me whose rights are being violated in the above?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2019, 09:03 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,702,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msgenerse View Post
It's as if there's no personal responsibility expected of people today, it's always just point fingers at others if you have any problems in your life. You're a minority down on your luck? Just blame evil straight white men; you're a woman having a problem? Just blame men, especially white men. You're poor? Just evil rich men, all their fault!

I just don't get it, this message of nothing ever being your fault. No personal responsibility for any bad decisions you yourself make that put you in such a position.
Don't forget people who are always blaming Liberals and Liberalism

Old 11-02-2019, 09:04 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,702,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
Yes and if you are a grumpy ol white guy blame all the immigrants. Or you if you are the wealthy you blame taxes and regulations, if you are a republican you blame the dems n vice versa. But when you only see that trait in others and not yourself, someone is in some very deep, dark denial.
And there is is....WHOOOP!!!

Old 11-02-2019, 09:08 AM

43,055 posts, read 18,231,767 times
Hey..the US is #1 for narcissism !
Think about it...it's all about "me, me, me and only me" all around us.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/b...being-american
We’re #1! We Americans like to see ourselves as better than others. And research indicates that we are #1. In narcissism.

Old 11-02-2019, 10:45 AM

35,687 posts, read 21,039,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
Where you’re at today, is because of the choices YOU made. If you’re struggling in life, that’s your own damn fault, its not because of Trumps personal taxes, greedy corporations, race, etc.
Although it’s taken me years to put myself back and above where I was - It’s not at fault my husband died young - not at fault that was laid off after 911 working ten years in the banking industry - not my fault rents rose faster than my salary. Not my fault I had to help others in my family. I had a good plan - but LIFE happened. Stay in your corner and pray nothing ever shakes the ground you stand in. For normal folks - cancer happens, shut downs happen, death happens, tornadoes happen, wayward kids happen, other illnesses and age happens and arseholes in power happen. You be responsible for you and you are your brothers keeper! Like it or not, it is the way of the world

Old 11-02-2019, 11:12 AM

34,015 posts, read 17,041,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I think in general it is social decay. We're too lenient these days and there is too much of this "don't judge" mentality.

t.
Agree. Too much poverty caused by bad choices.

Not all would succeed, but you crush your odds if you (a) fail to obtain a 21st century education, (b) get hooked on drugs, (c) have children before you are a fully functioning, fully educated, financially self-sufficient adult.

How you feel has been given too large a platform, when what you do determines, to an overwhelming degree, how you fare in life.

We need to be far more judgmental regarding dysfunctional choices people make.

Shame is tremendously valuable in society.

Last edited by BobNJ1960; 11-02-2019 at 12:05 PM..

Old 11-02-2019, 11:59 AM

5,462 posts, read 3,033,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
A link? Why don't you ask big government for the answer?

Why do you need government to tell you, an adult, that you cannot use marijuana? An adult should be able to figure that out for themselves.

Why do you need government to help you with a retirement plan like Social Security? An adult should be able to figure that out for themselves.

You need government to go to a restaurant for 1 hour a day, in a year in order to tell you that restaurant is okay to frequent? An adult should be able to figure that out for themselves.
Heaven forbid that an adult would ever attempt to purchase from a childs lemonade stand. We need government to prevent that for our own good, right?

You need governments permission to home school your own kid? Since when is government responsible for your child?

Since when do I need governments permission to choose which gun is the okay for me to use to defend myself? Can't an adult do that?

You don't see any of that? lol Take off your blinders.

Explain to me whose rights are being violated in the above?
There is not much difference between govt and corporations, except govt gives you medicare, social and facilitates citizenship. Go ahead and hand these over to corporations and let me know how it goes.

You can have guns of your choice, but no law and order.

Old 11-02-2019, 12:00 PM

5,462 posts, read 3,033,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
Although it’s taken me years to put myself back and above where I was - It’s not at fault my husband died young - not at fault that was laid off after 911 working ten years in the banking industry - not my fault rents rose faster than my salary. Not my fault I had to help others in my family. I had a good plan - but LIFE happened. Stay in your corner and pray nothing ever shakes the ground you stand in. For normal folks - cancer happens, shut downs happen, death happens, tornadoes happen, wayward kids happen, other illnesses and age happens and arseholes in power happen. You be responsible for you and you are your brothers keeper! Like it or not, it is the way of the world
You dont have to reply to every con-nut of the forum..it will ony drive us crazy.

Old 11-03-2019, 12:08 AM

14,768 posts, read 8,097,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
Well, if you were born to parents that were Democrats, you whine and cry and want everything free, including expecting the country to help your illegal alien friends, giving them many free resources. I hope this explains it
My parents were Democrats while I was growing up, my Dad was in the armed service, then enlisted in the coast guard, then worked as a civilian employee of the US Navy, they never ever whined or cried...they never wanted or took anything for free. Never.

Your hate and prejudice for Democrats make it impossible for you to view the world with any truth or clarity.
Neither political party is all good or all bad, you are only fooling yourself if you think so.
You can paint them as evil, in the end they are just the person next door, a person you work with...just another American.

Old 11-03-2019, 12:35 AM

19,966 posts, read 7,868,047 times
While I agree leftist tend to blame the wrong persons and things for almost everything, I have a different view. Most problems are caused by others.

People do tend to blame others and don't take personal accountability, but that is why in fact a person's problems usually is largely the blame of others. Most people are extremely selfish, self-centered and lack concern and empathy for others. This leads to all sorts of bad behaviors and wrongs. To a large extent most people's problems are due to the actions and inactions of others. And any person's success or failures is not entirely within their control.

I remember a study that showed social/heard animals that are all clones even still develop a pecking order. Based on no differences of the creatures it still developed. Likewise in human society, you can find people in a lower class that are better people than those in the higher class. There's no real meritocracy so much as an imperfect "pecking order".

Stated another way, if 200 million extremely selfish people are playing a game of winner take all there's going to be a few winners and many losers almost regardless of what the former and latter do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies