Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2019, 04:21 AM

16,083 posts, read 6,853,083 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Just for clarification, blacks were not driving or asking for any of this. I don’t want the actions of other races and groups associated with blacks just because the are under the same label of “liberal”.
Opinion:

Outcomes are not merely based on political recommendations but by the voter decision.
The sound of one voice does matter but in the end it is the masses that have spoken.

Old 11-03-2019, 06:33 AM

89,030 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Get better parents. Parents with better genetics, parents with better child rearing skills, parents with better priorities, parents who function better in their own lives. The research has proven again, and again, and again, across the decades, across cultures, across teacher quality, that the number one predictor of student success is parents. Period. No other factor, including money spent, race, school quality, teaching method, or pretty much any other factor than illness or learning disabilities, competes with the impact of parents on student outcomes. Even in those two circumstances, the outcomes when comparing students with the same disabilities vary based on, you guessed it, parents.
It won't happen. The government financially incentivizes higher birth rates among those who are LEAST capable of being good parents (no/low-income), while penalizing those who actually would be good parents by confiscating a significantly higher percentage of their income in taxes. The government incentivizes exactly the inverse of what society needs. Consequently, US society is not evolving, it's devolving. Should come as no surprise to anyone.

Old 11-03-2019, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
So let me get this straight.

Trump folowers ("conservatives") who, by and large are the non-college educated white males, are now upset that they won't get to take Advanced classes?
I'm not seeing that. Look at how those of different income levels voted in 2016:

2016 Election Results by Income Level

Given that those with college degrees, in general, earn more than those without, your notion is the exact opposite of what's going on. The poor and under-educated are FAR more likely to vote Dem. And, in fact, 2/3 of those on public assistance programs are Democrats. It's their voter base.

Wouldn't the basic "conservative" policy of "no one is really special" mean that just a basic education was offered to all and those who wanted or needed more could pay for it themselves?

I know the "liberal" policy would. That is, if we do Universal Health Care we'd want the basic "good" services available to all. When it comes to the "better" or "best" we'd say that people need extra insurance or it might be up to a state or city (additional taxation) to provide.

So does this thread mean that "conservatives" now favor special treatment for all ID groups and want taxpayers to pay for all of it?

A public education should be just that. A middle ground that takes all into account.[/quote]It's no longer a "middle ground." Public education caters to the lowest common denominator which by definition, is below average. Hence, the low ranking of both our students and adults in the work world:
Quote:
"This exam [OECD's PIAAC], given in 23 countries, assessed the thinking abilities and workplace skills of adults. It focused on literacy, math and technological problem-solving. The goal was to figure out how prepared people are to work in a complex, modern society. And U.S. millennials performed horribly...

But surely America’s brightest were on top?

Nope.

U.S. millennials with master’s degrees and doctorates did better than their peers in only three countries, Ireland, Poland and Spain...The ETS study noted that a decade ago the skill level of American adults was judged mediocre. “Now it is below even that.” So Millennials are falling even further behind.

Top-scoring US millennials – the 90th percentile on the PIAAC test – were at the bottom internationally, ranking higher only than their peers in Spain. The bottom scorers (10th percentile) also lagged behind their peers."
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...foreign-peers/

Old 11-03-2019, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
I was always in gifted/honors/AP classes, and whites were mostly a minority. I'm grateful they existed without controversy when I was a kid, because the regular classes moved at an agonizingly slow rate.
OMG, yes! My kids were in one of those very rare of animals, a 3rd-8th grade magnet school within a school program for the profoundly gifted. Out of a K-8 total district enrollment of about 18,000, each of those grade levels in the magnet program had anywhere from 6-12 students. That's it. 0.4% of the students at each grade level, at the most.

In high school, that was unnecessary, as placement tests placed each student appropriately and my kids' high school offered 21 different AP classes, mostly in Math, Science, History, and English/Literature. The only issue we had was my kids ran out of high school math (including AP classes) before earning the 3 years of high school math credits (Algebra and above) required for high school graduation in IL. I changed IL State Law to unshackle the restrictions the ISBE (Illinois State Board of Education) placed on highly achieving students by refusing to count high school credits earned before 9th grade. In one of the most contentious ILGA sessions, ever, I got a unanimous yea vote for this:

Illinois General Assembly - Full Text of Public Act 095-0299

Think about that for a minute... The ISBE had NO intention whatsoever of encouraging highly able students, and actually penalized them for excelling. That's the idiotic world of public education in which we live.

Old 11-03-2019, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I just read with sadness that the schools of the village in which I grew up, one of the most educated and top-notch schools in the country, no longer participates in AP history. I didn't take the course but got a perfect score on the AP American history exam.
A lot of people don't realize that one need not take the corresponding AP class to take the AP exam. Plenty of kids self-study, take the test, and score highly enough to accumulate college credits.

Old 11-03-2019, 07:24 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,532,112 times
I guess I'm curious as to why conservatives are so outraged over this. As far as I can tell - they do nothing but disparage higher education anyway.

As evidenced on numerous CD threads.

Old 11-03-2019, 07:26 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,505,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I challenge any of you to meet me at the Westchester County Board of Elections in White Plains, New York. I will accompany you to check out my voter registration if I get notice. I work a few blocks from there. And hint, it's Democratic.
Will you pay for my transportation? I hear White Plains is pretty.

But seriously, if you are so opposed to far-left liberal policies, why do you continue to proudly declares yourself a very liberal Democrat? That means you support free college (well.....other people paying for it), student loan forgiveness (well....other people), $1000 a month free handouts (well.....other people), the sanctuary cities and putting illegals on health care (honest people paying), reparations for people who were never salve paid for by people who were never slaveowners, the BDS movement and this ridiculous claim (or tactic, I'm not sure which since it's so bigoted) of "weaponizing antisemitism" that Omar was interested in, all the anti-white disdain, the ability to abort a 39-week baby just as its head is descending into the birth canal ready to enter the world, and so on and so on.

So tell me, what about the today's Democratic Party appeals to you?

Old 11-03-2019, 07:34 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,505,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
I never get to say this to you, but you're right. As far as no one white having a black person's best interests in mind, I don't think a lot of whites have any idea what black folks want - any time someone asks, they get told they wouldn't understand, they don't know what it's like, they don't need to be worrying about what black folks want, etc, so they stop asking.

And yes, black folks are being used, but not because these white liberals care about them. It's solely for their votes.
It is what liberals, including the one above you just addressed, are doing when they have conferences and accuse Jews of "weaponizing antisemitism"? If I have the meaning right, the leftists certainly are weaponizing racism!

Old 11-03-2019, 07:42 AM

2,801 posts, read 3,859,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
Could lefties possibly get any more deranged?

Now we have a group who want to abolish high school honors classes because they reek of "white toxicity" and the "white supremacy of high achievement." So is this group of lefties assuming that only whites are in these classes? Pretty obvious who the real racists are. Now we are supposed to discourage high achievement, or at least fail to recognize it, because somehow that doing well is a white supremacist value?

https://www.dailysignal.com/2019/11/...h-achievement/
When one gets their news from the Daily Signal, it is easy to come down with a case of...hmm, let's call it LDS - Leftist Derangement Syndrome. When a news outlet has no barrier between editorial and objective fact, some people find it hard to tell the difference between the opinion and the actual fact.

After reading the article, what I learned was that a few school districts in America are looking at different ways of eliminating inequality in their school systems. It seems to be an ongoing debate and there is a lot of disagreement within those school districts about the methods being proposed. To conclude that activists want to abolish YOUR kids honors classes is stretching the truth, unless you live in New York.

The left doesn't exactly have a monopoly on stupid ideas for public education. Hell, from reading many of the right-leaning posters on this board, one might think that the public school system is twelve wasted years of leftist indoctrination that doesn't actually provide a meaningful education anyways. Many fundamentally disagree with the idea that there should even be a public school system.

There is stupidity by activists on both sides of the issue. However, the article discusses four school districts, which makes it unlikely that the ideas of these particular activists could affect YOUR children unless they attend schools in one of those districts. On the other hand, the ideas of right-leaning activists who want to degrade and ultimately abolish public schools in favor of a private system of charter schools where corporate profits are the driving force behind every decision have actually affected many thousands of students and their families. Sometimes these charter schools have been successful, but there are many examples of them being an unmitigated disaster. I could go on to discuss the school districts that have adopted abstinence-only education and have some of the highest teen pregnancy rates in America; or the school districts that teach creationism. These very real changes to school districts were brought to you by right wing activists.

So...I agree that activists on both sides are making a mockery of public schools. At the same time, the right-leaning activists have had far more success implementing their ideas of a for-profit school system across the nation. And yet the right frets about a few left-leaning districts with their left-leaning activists, who want to make their own changes.

Old 11-03-2019, 07:59 AM

15,845 posts, read 6,547,612 times
How to further encourage "white flight" in one easy lesson. Parents looking for a good future for their kids won't want to live in those districts. The cities will be left with an even more mediocre, underachieving population who will then rail against "white privilege". Idjits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies