Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2019, 05:20 PM

45,585 posts, read 27,203,264 times

Advertisements

Consider the welcome mat removed.

‘Go back to California’: Wave of newcomers fuels backlash in Boise

Just consider last week’s mayoral election. It was the most competitive race in recent memory, a referendum on growth in the rapidly expanding capital of Idaho. And candidate Wayne Richey ran on a very simple platform: Stop the California invasion.

His basic plan to fulfill that campaign promise? “Trash the place.”

Richey figured that would be the best way to keep deep-pocketed Golden Staters from moving to his leafy hometown. He blames them for pushing home prices and rents up so high that Boiseans can’t afford to live here on the meager wages most Idaho jobs pay.

At a candidate forum in late October, he had a terse answer for the question: “If you were king or queen for the day, what one thing would you do to improve Boise?”

“A $26-billion wall,” he said, laughing, drawing out each word for maximum emphasis. As in build one. Around Idaho.

The most recent Treasure Valley Survey, conducted by the Idaho Policy Institute at Boise State University, does not bode well for anyone who would run this city in coming years. It was conducted in late 2018 and released in June. More than 70% of respondents said the region was growing too fast, compared with only 50% with that view in 2016.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2019, 05:22 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,416,761 times
So he ran on a platform of hatred against other Americans?

Pretty sad this is what our politics has come to.

Old 11-12-2019, 05:24 PM

46,964 posts, read 26,005,972 times
Quote:
His basic plan to fulfill that campaign promise? “Trash the place.”
This is so fly-over I don't even want to make fun of it.

Old 11-12-2019, 05:24 PM

17,642 posts, read 6,918,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post

You mean the same platform of hatred that every Democrat in America has been running on for decades, except on steroids since Trump beat Hillary?

Old 11-12-2019, 05:26 PM

17,642 posts, read 6,918,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
This is so fly-over I don't even want to make fun of it.
I'm sure those cretins in Boise are nowhere near as sophisticated as the illegals populating LA who live in a human toilet bowl, subject to typhoid and without power.

Old 11-12-2019, 05:26 PM

20,873 posts, read 9,546,294 times
Does anyone really think that shouting "Go away!" will do any good?

Old 11-12-2019, 05:27 PM

78,433 posts, read 60,640,522 times
Quote:

Errr....basically he's on the same platform as those opposing "gentrification".

So, that makes you racist.

Old 11-12-2019, 05:29 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,230,847 times
All Idaho has to do is promise no free stuff.

Problem solved.

Old 11-12-2019, 05:30 PM

45,585 posts, read 27,203,264 times
Quote:

Read the article... prices are going up too fast and the locals don't make enough money. It's the economics.

His sister had her own business until the Great Recession, when she lost everything and moved in with him. She just bought a house one city over, the only one she could find for about $230,000, and, he said, it’s a piece of you know what. She works in a call center, rents out a room and works craft shows.

“It’s really, really hard to swallow,” he said, “when somebody sells their house in California for $700,000, comes here, buys any house they want in cash and still has money in the bank.

“Their kids get to go to college,” he continued. “They drive nice cars. And they get to enjoy everything we built over the years. We don’t get to enjoy it, because we’re working 40 hours a week and doing craft shows and doing yard sales.”

One salvo in Richey’s battle against newcomers was his property tax proposal, which he called Proposition Zero One Two Three. His basic tenet: The longer you live here, the less you pay. Sixty-year residents would pay no property taxes, while newcomers would shoulder the burden.

Old 11-12-2019, 05:30 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,884,675 times
I love Idaho. Love hunting there as well. It's a beautiful state. If I were them I wouldn't want California Politics or political views in my state either. I would be "Look what you did to your own state, don't do it to mine."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies