Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2019, 06:21 PM

17,308 posts, read 12,255,968 times

Advertisements

Uber CEO says that the murder and dismemberment of a journalist by Saudi Arabia was a "mistake". Saudi Arabia has a $1.9 billion investment in Uber.
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/boycott...der-a-mistake/

After the outrage of that, the CEO issued an apology. How sincere do you think that is? Was this the straw that breaks the camel's back after all their prior controversy?

Have you noticed Uber losing serious market share to Lyft? I was flying yesterday and hit the ride shares at the airport. The line for Lyft had more than 30 people. Uber's had 2. And the traditional yellow cabbies were just standing around with no customers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2019, 06:56 PM

1,086 posts, read 442,492 times
I use lyft, much better service. Even uber eats is far inferior to grubhub, postmates, etc.

Old 11-13-2019, 07:16 PM

9,639 posts, read 6,019,409 times
All those companies will contract. They’re not the ones doing the work, the drivers are, they’re just dispatch.

Old 11-13-2019, 07:24 PM

29,823 posts, read 24,913,395 times
Uber, like their twin turd WeWork, shouldn't exist, and probably won't be around in another 5 years.

Old 11-13-2019, 07:28 PM

34,232 posts, read 18,584,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Uber, like their twin turd WeWork, shouldn't exist, and probably won't be around in another 5 years.

I like the concept and the technology, but it has become more expensive with additional fees that are obviously their to only increase cost to the customer in an effort to increase their gross margins. I think Uber and Lyft fills a niche much better than traditional cab companies that are just awful.

Old 11-13-2019, 07:44 PM

18,466 posts, read 15,253,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
I like the concept and the technology, but it has become more expensive with additional fees that are obviously their to only increase cost to the customer in an effort to increase their gross margins. I think Uber and Lyft fills a niche much better than traditional cab companies that are just awful.
This.

Competition is good. I always check them both to see who has the better price, and who will pick me up the fastest.

Old 11-13-2019, 09:10 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,979,187 times
Quote:
Yeha it was a good business model. Start an illegal business (unlicensed taxis) and drive legal competitors out of business, then jack up prices. Airbnb, Uber, and Lift should never even have been allowed to make a penny on day one.

Old 11-13-2019, 09:41 PM

78,432 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
Uber CEO says that the murder and dismemberment of a journalist by Saudi Arabia was a "mistake". Saudi Arabia has a $1.9 billion investment in Uber.
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/boycott...der-a-mistake/

After the outrage of that, the CEO issued an apology. How sincere do you think that is? Was this the straw that breaks the camel's back after all their prior controversy?

Have you noticed Uber losing serious market share to Lyft? I was flying yesterday and hit the ride shares at the airport. The line for Lyft had more than 30 people. Uber's had 2. And the traditional yellow cabbies were just standing around with no customers.
Most of the actually investment folks are not in-line with you're anecdotal observation at the airport.

I have no dog in this fight but if you're going to start a thread about this, you left all the meat out of your sandwich so to speak.

No comment on market share? Stock prices? Business outlook?

The CBS article is mostly click-bait. oooh boycott *threats*? Translation: No boycott.

Old 11-13-2019, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
Yeha it was a good business model. Start an illegal business (unlicensed taxis) and drive legal competitors out of business, then jack up prices. Airbnb, Uber, and Lift should never even have been allowed to make a penny on day one.
Taxis are monopoly services put into place by corrupt local governments to line their pockets.

Sorry but welcome to the 21st century.

Private livery has always been allowed fyi. (ie. Limo services and so forth)

Reminds me of whatever stupid state that is out east that won't let you pump your own gas.

Old 11-13-2019, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Not to mention that you can get uber or lyft in areas that cab companies DO NOT SERVE.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies