Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2019, 07:25 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,822,740 times

Advertisements

I think the biggest reason that there's so much resistance to cannabis legalization is that the plant has a very strong stigma. Cannabis users are widely stereotyped as burnouts and deadbeats and people view legalization as enabling people's bad behavior. People cannot wrap their minds around the fact that there are people who partake who don't fit the stoner stereotype and actually lead successful, productive lives. Likewise on the medicinal side, the common narrative from conservatives is that if it really was a medicine then a pill could be made and there's no reason to legalize the plant. They simply refuse to listen to the testimonies of the people who have been helped by the plant. They also probably don't know that there is a THC pill called Marinol but it's not very effective medicinally compared to real cannabis. I also think marijuana still has not moved beyond its association with the 1960s counterculture and the anti-Vietnam movement. Many conservatives believe that was the point when the moral and societal decline of the USA began and that is a factor in their opposition to legalization.

However, if you roll back the stigma and look at the facts, its indisputable that cannabis is actually less dangerous and less harmful to society than alcohol (though I will say it's NOT 100% harmless). Cannabis however has a stigma and alcohol doesn't. A person can guzzle down a bottle of wine per night and most people won't think anything of it but if they smoke a joint, they'll be seen as a deadbeat addict who shouldn't have kids and shouldn't be hired for a job and who belongs in jail.

Does anybody think we, as a society, will ever move beyond the stigmatization of cannabis and its users?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2019, 07:28 PM

5,705 posts, read 3,675,347 times
I’m not sure how anyone that’s lived for more than a couple decades can say that the stigma on cannabis has not gotten better. Well, it is America I suppose. There was no approved medical usage before. No benefits. Only the hell in a hand basket bluster. Things have changed quite a bit.

Old 12-03-2019, 07:29 PM

5,654 posts, read 6,225,942 times
I actually question how much stigma is attached to marijuana use these days. Certainly, some conservatives are against it. But I don't think the stigma extends far past a certain set of conservatives - it doesn't extend to all conservatives. Certain social conservatives, yes; economic conservatives, I'm not so sure. Libertarians, no. Liberals, no. Independents, mixed bag but I have the sense most either think its OK or simply don't care so much about it one way or the other.

Old 12-03-2019, 07:31 PM

2,923 posts, read 979,609 times
I'm conservative and I think most drugs should be legal

Old 12-03-2019, 07:31 PM

9,701 posts, read 5,118,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
I think the biggest reason that there's so much resistance to cannabis legalization is that the plant has a very strong stigma. Cannabis users are widely stereotyped as burnouts and deadbeats and people view legalization as enabling people's bad behavior. People cannot wrap their minds around the fact that there are people who partake who don't fit the stoner stereotype and actually lead successful, productive lives. Likewise on the medicinal side, the common narrative from conservatives is that if it really was a medicine then a pill could be made and there's no reason to legalize the plant. They simply refuse to listen to the testimonies of the people who have been helped by the plant. They also probably don't know that there is a THC pill called Marinol but it's not very effective medicinally compared to real cannabis. I also think marijuana still has not moved beyond its association with the 1960s counterculture and the anti-Vietnam movement. Many conservatives believe that was the point when the moral and societal decline of the USA began and that is a factor in their opposition to legalization.

However, if you roll back the stigma and look at the facts, its indisputable that cannabis is actually less dangerous and less harmful to society than alcohol (though I will say it's NOT 100% harmless). Cannabis however has a stigma and alcohol doesn't. A person can guzzle down a bottle of wine per night and most people won't think anything of it but if they smoke a joint, they'll be seen as a deadbeat addict who shouldn't have kids and shouldn't be hired for a job and who belongs in jail.

Does anybody think we, as a society, will ever move beyond the stigmatization of cannabis and its users?
I know more people that smoke weed them I do who smoke cigarettes. The stigma is on its way out.

Old 12-03-2019, 07:41 PM

4,514 posts, read 1,868,137 times
If they could get rid of the stench and acknowledge it’s addictive, I wouldn’t care.

Old 12-03-2019, 07:46 PM

17,442 posts, read 14,675,944 times
Conservative here.

Honestly, most conservatives I know think marijuana should be legal, have a live and let live attitude homosexuality and gay marriage and don't care what color or creed you are ... as long as you're not an a#$hole and don't live like trash in the middle of their neighborhood.

Old 12-03-2019, 07:48 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,147,567 times
I think it's already been hugely de-stigmatized.

Old 12-03-2019, 07:51 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,056,123 times
It is in the same category as smoking and alcohol in Washington state.....wait change that...it is more acceptable than smoking in Washington state.

Old 12-03-2019, 07:53 PM

1,156 posts, read 942,734 times
Really overgeneralizing arguments against a caricature-ized "conservative". Smoke up OP nobody cares.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies