Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2020, 08:44 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
actually it did work...Clinton/Newt workfare did work...
No, actually it didn't work:
Evidence Doesn’t Support Claims of Success of TANF Work Requirements
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
Obozo, reduced the requirements for welfare/Medicaid, adding a couple of million
Wrong. During the recession Obama gave states some flexibility with the welfare work rules. https://www.factcheck.org/2012/08/do...elfare-reform/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2020, 08:51 PM

34,059 posts, read 17,081,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
How many families could we feed by having 1 less war jet? (120Million for a single Lockheed F35)

How many are fed making the war jet? Not just the jet, but all the components in it.

There are 7 MILLION job openings.

If people in this nation have a work ethic, we should see the Labor Force Participation Rate soar!

Old 03-08-2020, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post

Wrong. During the recession Obama gave states some flexibility with the welfare work rules. https://www.factcheck.org/2012/08/do...elfare-reform/
Many never returned to the old rules, despite incredibly low unemployment now.

There should not be any presidential discretion to modify the rules, even for one day.

Old 03-08-2020, 09:00 PM

1,638 posts, read 1,110,498 times
This is terrible.

Whether it's their fault or not, many people who are hungry get violent. Part of the reason we give ou out food is to prevent mass civil unrest

We also pay billions to subsidize farming corporations and pay them to throw out food. Not to mention the shady slush DoD slush fund where there are $300 screws. There's better ways to save money than making it hard to get food.

Old 03-08-2020, 09:09 PM

50,809 posts, read 36,501,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastriver View Post
The most recent figures, April 2019, for NYC show 1,550,397 recipients on SNAP.
Well the article uses percentage of population, so I really can’t use that as a comparison. I don’t know if that puts them on the list or it doesn’t. How many were on it in 2018? Because in 2018 they were not in the top 25.

Old 03-08-2020, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njbiodude View Post
This is terrible.

Whether it's their fault or not, many people who are hungry get violent. Part of the reason we give ou out food is to prevent mass civil unrest

We also pay billions to subsidize farming corporations and pay them to throw out food. Not to mention the shady slush DoD slush fund where there are $300 screws. There's better ways to save money than making it hard to get food.
Funny I was just thinking about it. One of the cities on the top 25 list that I posted, number 20, it’s only about 15 miles from me. And I was thinking what are those people going to do when they have no food for their families. They are most likely going to turn to crime and that’s not good for any of us. It’s Les Miserable 21st century. We do have plenty of food in this country and vast wealth, that no one should be hungry. We are going backward not forward. I work with older people in a rural county on food stamps and I think it’s a crime how little they get. One woman told me she got less than $100 a month. Maybe she wouldn’t have been sick enough to need nursing home stay if she had enough to eat.

The 2 wealthiest people in this country own more wealth than the bottom 50%. That’s an unbelievable statistic to me. And we gave them a huge tax cut while taking food out of the mouths of elderly poor. This county had factories, a giant DuPont plant that employed thousands, as well as a lot of farms. When the factories left and farms went under they never recovered.

People like to think it’s all welfare mamas in inner cities but it’s not the case. America can be great but not by starving people.,

Old 03-08-2020, 09:29 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
A lot of people aren’t employable though. One DUI, a bad credit report, is today enough to make you unemployable. It’s also enough to make you homeless, which will then make you unemployable. We used to be a country of second chances but it’s one strike and you’re out now.
You're preaching to the choir and obviously didn't understand my post.

Old 03-08-2020, 09:33 PM

8,244 posts, read 3,495,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
A lot of people aren’t employable though. One DUI, a bad credit report, is today enough to make you unemployable. It’s also enough to make you homeless, which will then make you unemployable. We used to be a country of second chances but it’s one strike and you’re out now.
I never even got a first chance. I have been sick all of my life and just keep getting worse over the years. I have always been unemployable. I started job hunting when I was 16 years old. I am in my 40s. No one ever wanted me as an employee. I even got turned down for volunteer positions. I am too worthless to even give my labor away. But these drug junkies and felons have people making special programs to try and make sure they get jobs. No one ever tried to help me get a job. Had my therapist not signed a form for me I wouldn't have food to eat. Society views me as worse than a drug junkie and worse than a felon. My one strike was being born. I didn't ask to be born. I didn't choose to be born. I didn't give myself incurable health problems. I lost count of how many times I have been homeless. I already decided though that I will die before I become homeless again. Society won't allow me to have a job and then blames me because I don't have a job. It's always been completely out of my control. All I ever could do was fill out the applications. I had no control over whether or not I was chosen for employment.

Old 03-08-2020, 09:35 PM

Bubba passed Welfare Reform, and these rules being changed are, truthfully, simply enforcing the rules Bubba signed into place.

Old 03-08-2020, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
You're preaching to the choir and obviously didn't understand my post.
Oh sorry then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies