Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2019, 03:52 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,769,559 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Republicans ONLY win because of wedge issues like abortion, guns, gay rights, religion, etc. The Republican Party is seen as the party of traditional American values and they have successfully painted the Democrats as being an anti-American party. If it weren't for "God, gays, and guns" only rich people would vote for Republicans.
That may be true. I sure as hell don't vote for them anymore- Bush cured me of that.

But the fact remains that they're winning, whether or not we approve of their methods. IMO Democrats would do well to examine *why* vast numbers Americans find the Democratic brand toxic.

We're living the alternative.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2019, 03:55 PM

4,627 posts, read 3,396,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
If you keep spreading fake news as if it's a fact, then you'll convince even more voters.

To be honest, you almost fooled me, you sounded so convincing, and I watched the debate.
And the bolded part above is exactly the point. I don't agree with everything the OP has written in this thread but he has a point here. Bumper sticker slogans unfortunately are what a lot of voters remember...the details not so much.

Based on your posting history I know you to be an informed poster and you were almost fooled! Same here. Just imagine the busy independent or swing voter who has minimal time or interest in politics. A 30 second add on this issue will be tough to refute.

I had to read this fact check to get the nuance of the issue and what you have written is largely true but in the heat of a campaign it might not matter.

https://www.politifact.com/truth-o-m...th-care-immig/

Old 12-09-2019, 03:57 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,198,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayAnn246 View Post
The president is being impeached with low approval ratings and high impeachment, removal numbers and the laughing stock of the world. :
Actually his ratings are through the roof. We saw how Impeachment worked for Bill C., more popular than ever.

Judges? Every day a new Trump judge gets put on the bench. Pretty soon RBG will be replaced.

And Obama was one of the most overturned President ever.

Get used to seeing Trump for 5 more years.

Old 12-09-2019, 04:00 PM

8,411 posts, read 7,424,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Democrats should stop repeating that lie. Trump was elected legally by the American voters, despite the shady, corrupt dealings of his campaign. That lie plays right into the conservative propaganda narrative that this is all just a matter of the left refusing to accept the results of the election. Accepting the results of the election doesn't mean we are required to worship Trump or turn a blind eye to crimes he's committed while in office.
The lie is in Trump welcoming Russian interference, lying, obstructing and allowing his GOP to block any laws to prevent it from happening in the future. Why? The GOP clowns parrot Russian talking points that Ukraine was responsible when they have been briefed that it was in fact, Russia. Over and Over again.

The only liars are the GOP under Trump. Man, Ted Cruz looked like a fool on Meet the Press this week when Chuck ran down the list of smears that Trump spewed about Cruz and his family. Yet Cruz had no problem bowing like a GOP toadie and Russian asset. The GOP under Trump is a national security risk.

Old 12-09-2019, 04:00 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,769,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cchampagne232000 View Post
They lost because they didn't get out the black vote and because Hillary ran a horrible campaign (full of ego) and was one of the most detested individuals in our generation. They still won by more than 3 million votes. Change any of those things and they'll win the electoral college comfortably as well.

I agree they are largely screwing up what should be a no brainer win vs the worst President of all time. We'll see how it plays out.
Hillary was a terrible choice for a slew of reasons. Bernie did much better in the Industrial Midwest that handed Trump the election. But the DNC was to corrupt to allow anyone but Hillary.

And I agree with you that if just one of numerous factors had been different, we'd all be discussing President Clinton right now.

But that was the 2016 election.

Hard to say how 2020 will go. Maybe the Trump-fatigue is so profound that any Democrat with a pulse will win. I think that's very possible *if* the economy crashes before the election. But if the economy continues to do well, we could very well end up with another 4 years of Trump.

Our opponent is a raving idiot with the mind of a demented teenager. This shouldn't even be close, but Democrats have managed to make themselves unappealing enough that is *is* that close.

Old 12-09-2019, 04:02 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,815,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkey-head View Post
But the fact remains that they're winning, whether or not we approve of their methods. IMO Democrats would do well to examine *why* vast numbers Americans find the Democratic brand toxic.
Years of right-wing propaganda from sources like Fox News, Rush Limbaugh and other talk radio moguls, and religious leaders have convinced a large number of Americans that (D) = Demonic and nothing else matters.

We hear and see articles all the time about how the religious right is in decline, young Americans are abandoning the church in droves, and will soon no longer have the numbers to win elections. Democrats are counting on time and demographic changes making the right-wing evangelical vote irrelevant on the national level (it will probably always be a force in the Bible Belt). I know not ALL Republicans are Christian fundamentalists, but the religious right is the most important constituency in the GOP. No Republican could win without their support.

2016 proved that to be a poor, losing strategy, especially when their candidate was Hillary Clinton.

However, I don't think there's any solution for this as long as a majority of Americans continue to get all of their news from heavily partisan sources. Let's be real. Fox News will NEVER treat ANY Democratic candidate fairly, no matter who he/she is.

Old 12-09-2019, 04:03 PM

8,411 posts, read 7,424,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Actually his ratings are through the roof. We saw how Impeachment worked for Bill C., more popular than ever.

Judges? Every day a new Trump judge gets put on the bench. Pretty soon RBG will be replaced.

And Obama was one of the most overturned President ever.

Get used to seeing Trump for 5 more years.
No, it's not. He has never reached over 50%. He is between 39%-44%. Bill Clinton was a popular president. Trump isn't popular at all.

Trump is a clown and the world knows it. He would have been indicted 5 times over if he didn't have presidential cover.

Old 12-09-2019, 04:04 PM

17,440 posts, read 9,271,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astral_Weeks View Post
I agree with you 100%.

That is why a simple striking of a moderate tone from the Democrats as we head into the general would be wise.
That OLD Playbook of “run to the middle” in the General Election is 1990’s stuff and won’t work in 2020.
The age of the Internet and YouTube rememberers and records everything. It all turns into Political Ads.

Old 12-09-2019, 04:07 PM

30,373 posts, read 19,170,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
Sometimes I wonder if Trump has people planted in the field of Dem hopefuls. It looks like Dems are actually working for him.
Yep, I wondered if little Adam the Bull-Shiffer is a Trump plant...no one else has upped Trump's numbers so drammatically.

Old 12-09-2019, 04:10 PM

52,283 posts, read 52,700,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkey-head View Post
That may be true. I sure as hell don't vote for them anymore- Bush cured me of that.

We're living the alternative.
The dems of yesteryear were fine by me. Pro-workers, pro-unions, wanted to get a handle on illegal immigration because they thought it hurt the American worker. Now the dems are just as bad as the R's when it comes to cozying up to big business.

The dems now care about too many boutique issues in my opinion. Too much emphasis on trans this or what bathroom people can use. Most people couldn't give a crap less about those kinds of issues in the big picture.

Now you got all of the dem frontrunners talking about decriminalizing illegal border crossings, giving illegals health care etc etc

They've lost touch with the average American in my opinion. The R's aren't much better.

Need to get back to kitchen table bread and butter issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies