Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2019, 09:36 PM

1,117 posts, read 751,904 times

Advertisements

I was a life-long Democrat until 2016 when I voted Trump. I will admit it was a cringe vote for me, but I was bashed by my Democrat family/friends all the same. But they (and many) are missing the whole point. I knew when I voted Trump in 2016, that he did NOT represent politics as usual. Now we know it to be true. In recent history politics hasn't been flipped upside its head the way it has been now.

Just think of what Trump has caused with the public's waning trust in the media, congress, pop culture, even judges. I'm one of the biggest skeptics when it comes to anything, so when everyone pretended things were going hunky dory under Obama when I knew they weren't (hence switching parties), I was worried things would continue on the status quo. We all know politicians are notoriously corrupt, so at least with Trump many are getting exposed for who they are (on both sides) like I've never seen before.

I don't think anyone should fully trust or rely on their government (our founding fathers were correct), and I hope what we have seen continues to burn the flame of skepticism in people towards our government moving forward.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2019, 09:42 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,879,951 times
The greatest President ever... Couldn't have asked for a better person to run this country....

Old 12-10-2019, 10:03 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,125,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDproAV View Post
You actually made a good point with your 1-sentence reply to my post.

I always had friends on both sides, and when I voted Obama twice, I never felt the same kind of pressure or blowback from my friends on the right, as I did from my friends on the left when I voted Trump.

I felt like the left represented more of a "group think" culture where, if I didn't agree with ALL of the talking points, I was somehow defective (I was a complete heretic for not supporting transgender nonsense).

If the democrat party and its constituency want to win back people like me, they really need to rethink their "Holier-than-thou" approach to most issues.
Well you went with the side that has group think in the manner of they want less government unless it applies to people’s personal lives and what a woman can do with her body and who can marry who..

Old 12-10-2019, 10:09 PM

1,117 posts, read 751,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
Well you went with the side that has group think in the manner of they want less government unless it applies to people’s personal lives and what a woman can do with her body and who can marry who..
If you mean government protection from what a woman can do with a babie's body and how who can marry who is turning into what can marry what, then yes, you are correct.

But that's besides my point because even if I was pro abortion, for example, I would not be attacked as much from the right as I am from the left for being anti-abortion. You actually just proved my argument.

Old 12-10-2019, 10:16 PM

18,741 posts, read 7,632,416 times
Quote:
I don't think anyone should fully trust or rely on their government (our founding fathers were correct), and I hope what we have seen continues to burn the flame of skepticism in people towards our government moving forward.
Welcome to the beginnings of conservatism.

Old 12-10-2019, 10:17 PM

11,122 posts, read 5,604,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
The greatest President ever... Couldn't have asked for a better person to run this country....

Almost correct-----couldn't have asked for a better person to ruin this country.

Old 12-10-2019, 10:35 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,125,642 times
The thread reads like a late night informercial..

But here is why I don’t like him.

The only people in my family that do like him are pretty racist/xenophobic very narcissistic.

Nothing brought all those traits out more than the current president. He appeals to them because he Appeals to their mindset..

Old 12-11-2019, 12:35 AM

16,117 posts, read 10,787,662 times
Quote:
I was a life-long Democrat until 2016 when I voted Trump. I will admit it was a cringe vote for me, but I was bashed by my Democrat family/friends all the same. But they (and many) are missing the whole point.
The point that was missed, that you missed, and probably the point that was being made by your family and friends, is that Trump was incompetent and too unstable to lead the country and was a self-enriching con man, a narcissist, and a clueless bully. The intensity of their "bashing" is evidence of their disappointment in you as a supposedly thoughtful and rational person. Instead of seeing Trump as the disaster that he is, you embraced the con. They could foresee some of the damage that this man would cause both domestically and internationally. Now you, as a Trumper, own it...the damage is your doing as much as it is Trump's.

Old 12-11-2019, 03:39 AM

34,254 posts, read 18,620,732 times
Quote:
You actually made a good point with your 1-sentence reply to my post.

I always had friends on both sides, and when I voted Obama twice, I never felt the same kind of pressure or blowback from my friends on the right, as I did from my friends on the left when I voted Trump.

I felt like the left represented more of a "group think" culture where, if I didn't agree with ALL of the talking points, I was somehow defective (I was a complete heretic for not supporting transgender nonsense).

If the democrat party and its constituency want to win back people like me, they really need to rethink their "Holier-than-thou" approach to most issues.

You represent a lot of traditional Democrats whom are just not OK with the Far Left Progressive, Woke, PC nonsense that has taken over the Democrat Party. You are not alone, and don't let your friends berate you as Progressives will do. Hang in there!

Old 12-11-2019, 03:51 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,365,152 times
Quote:
I was a life-long Democrat until 2016 when I voted Trump. I will admit it was a cringe vote for me, but I was bashed by my Democrat family/friends all the same. But they (and many) are missing the whole point. I knew when I voted Trump in 2016, that he did NOT represent politics as usual. Now we know it to be true. In recent history politics hasn't been flipped upside its head the way it has been now.

Just think of what Trump has caused with the public's waning trust in the media, congress, pop culture, even judges. I'm one of the biggest skeptics when it comes to anything, so when everyone pretended things were going hunky dory under Obama when I knew they weren't (hence switching parties), I was worried things would continue on the status quo. We all know politicians are notoriously corrupt, so at least with Trump many are getting exposed for who they are (on both sides) like I've never seen before.

What Democrat ideals kept you as a lifelong Democrat and what ideals did you see in trump to make you change?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies