Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2020, 06:36 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,930,677 times

Advertisements

In the immortal words of a little band called Madness..............."ONE STEP BEYOND!!!!"......................

What a great day!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2020, 06:38 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,930,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
The British don't even consider themselves to be called British first.
I'm English and then British in much the same way as most self-respecting Scots or Welsh people would consider themelves to be British after their native country.
Few people I know consider themselves to be Europeans. Of Europe maybe and with a tremendous liking for much of the place.
But historically Britain's island status has always made us feel slightly different about the continent than mainland Europe.
Plus the fact that with the help of the Allies we did liberate rather a lot of the place during the last world war - that always seemed to be conveniently forgotten when various tinpot EU politicians, often rewarded with plum jobs in Brussels after failing magnificently in their own countries, lectured Blighty on its role in Europe.
When Nigel Farage and the Brexit Party were told to leave the European parliament " and take your flags with you " this week I wondered how many of those bloated bureacrats and freeloading politicians remembered that in 1944 when British tanks rolled into Brussels the local citizens were delighted to fly the Union Jack.
The woman giving the orders for Farage and co to leave was Irish - the country whose President was the first person through the doors of the German Embassy in Dublin to sign the Book of Condolences opened up after the death of Herr Hitler.
And the country that Britain bailed out to the tune of £3.5billion a few years ago when the country went bust and there was no money in the ATMs.
The Irish always were ungrateful scrotes.

We are so much better off being out of the EU.
That Nazi/Hitler sympathy of the Irish has certainly been whitewashed by the historians, hasn't it??
(I majored in history in college....in the 1980s......and was shocked to learn years later just how deeply the Irish sympathized with Hitler and Nazi Germany........my textbooks and profs kind of omitted that part....)

Old 02-02-2020, 06:47 PM

5,606 posts, read 3,526,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
That Nazi/Hitler sympathy of the Irish has certainly been whitewashed by the historians, hasn't it??
(I majored in history in college....in the 1980s......and was shocked to learn years later just how deeply the Irish sympathized with Hitler and Nazi Germany........my textbooks and profs kind of omitted that part....)

My sons were partly educated in Ireland.
They couldn't believe how badly history was covered until I explained to them how easily the Irish can be brainwashed - the Catholic church did it for decades and got away with appalling abuse.
Something else that was never covered in schools which are mainly - you've guessed it - heavily influenced by the Cathlic church.
Even today Ireland is convinced it's a " neutral " country, ignoring the fact that Shannon Airport is used almost daily by US transport planes heading down to the Middle East with troops and supplies.

Old 02-02-2020, 07:26 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,299,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
It's funny and amusing to see all the losers come here, the ones who predicted doom & disaster for years if it happened, now, when it didn't happen, stamp their feet and cry out. "Just you wait and see". hahahaha.

What nonsense.
Don’t know who you’re talking about. I never made any predictions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
They might be able to negotiate favored nation status with Canada and Australia. That might be a reasonable expectation.

But what other nation would cut them some slack?
No other nation. Canada can’t cut a deal with the UK that on par with their NAFTA trade deal. If they did that, they’d render NAFTA to be a joke as far as it’s exclusiveness to NAFTA member nations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Are you serious. The 5th most militarily powerful country on the planet, the 3rd most important reserve currency, the center of the 54 nation Commonwealth, permanent
member of the UN Security council.

Again this is just you trying to **** on BRexit. Your side lost, time to move on.
He an American, as are you. Y’all don’t have a side.

LMAO @ “the center of the commonwealth.”

The Sun has set on the British Empire. Give it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
Apart from the crash of the GBP, the £130 billion hit to the UK economy, the fact that the UK has spent more on Brexit since 2016 than the total of 47 years of EU contributions, the slowing of GDP growth by 3% (with a further forecast of 2-8% depending on the leave scenario), the decrease in foreign investment into the UK by 92% between 2016 and 2019.

That has all happened. We won't see the full effects until 1st January 2021.

You aren't even British, so that must be why you just gloat and say "I won, get over it". People will suffer economically from Brexit.
Trump is for Brexit. So that poster is a hardcore Brexiteer and hasn’t a clue why.
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
No, they're not. And it doesn't surprise me that you're an advocate for economic and social slavery to the EU.
Germany is a staunch EU Member. The British aren’t.

You tell me which country you’d rather live in. And if you pick the UK, you’d be a damn masochist and a fool. Lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
The UK is an island off the coast of Northwestern Europe. It's not IN Western Europe. Nobody but advocates of the "Remain" campaign have ever called themselves "Europeans". The British are not Europeans.
Like hell they aren’t.
Quote:
The British don't even consider themselves to be called British first.
I'm English and then British in much the same way as most self-respecting Scots or Welsh people would consider themelves to be British after their native country.
Few people I know consider themselves to be Europeans. Of Europe maybe and with a tremendous liking for much of the place.
But historically Britain's island status has always made us feel slightly different about the continent than mainland Europe.
Plus the fact that with the help of the Allies we did liberate rather a lot of the place during the last world war - that always seemed to be conveniently forgotten when various tinpot EU politicians, often rewarded with plum jobs in Brussels after failing magnificently in their own countries, lectured Blighty on its role in Europe.
When Nigel Farage and the Brexit Party were told to leave the European parliament " and take your flags with you " this week I wondered how many of those bloated bureacrats and freeloading politicians remembered that in 1944 when British tanks rolled into Brussels the local citizens were delighted to fly the Union Jack.
The woman giving the orders for Farage and co to leave was Irish - the country whose President was the first person through the doors of the German Embassy in Dublin to sign the Book of Condolences opened up after the death of Herr Hitler.
And the country that Britain bailed out to the tune of £3.5billion a few years ago when the country went bust and there was no money in the ATMs.

We are so much better off being out of the EU.
If Iceland is Europe (and they are), the UK is Europe and the British are European. The Maltese are European. The Sardinians are European. The Corsicans are Europeans. The Azoreans are Europeans. The Irish are Europeans. We simply aren’t gonna make an exception for the British. Perish the thought.

End of story.

Old 02-02-2020, 07:33 PM

52,430 posts, read 26,742,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Don’t know who you’re talking about. I never made any predictions.

No other nation. Canada can’t cut a deal with the UK that on par with their NAFTA trade deal. If they did that, they’d render NAFTA to be a joke as far as it’s exclusiveness to NAFTA member nations. He an American, as are you. Y’all don’t have a side. LMAO @ “the center of the commonwealth.”

The Sun has set on the British Empire. Give it up. Trump is for Brexit. So that poster is a hardcore Brexiteer and hasn’t a clue why. Germany is a staunch EU Member. The British aren’t.

You tell me which country you’d rather live in. And if you pick the UK, you’d be a damn masochist and a fool. Lol Like hell they aren’t. If Iceland is Europe (and they are), the UK is Europe and the British are European. The Maltese are European. The Sardinians are European. The Corsicans are Europeans. The Azoreans are Europeans. The Irish are Europeans. We simply aren’t gonna make an exception for the British. Perish the thought.

End of story.
i.e......
  • Trump - Bad
  • UK - Bad
  • EU - Good (beyond obvious confusion w/Europe)
  • Trump - Bad
They simply can't help themselves.

Old 02-02-2020, 07:49 PM

7,519 posts, read 2,823,226 times
Liberals are always wishing a conservative governing body to fail even if it is at the expense of citizens. Hell some are even hoping for a pandemic to kill older conservatives. Pigs. Stinking rotting pigs.

Old 02-02-2020, 07:53 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,299,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwood66 View Post
Liberals are always wishing a conservative governing body to fail even if it is at the expense of citizens. Hell some are even hoping for a pandemic to kill older conservatives. Pigs. Stinking rotting pigs.
Nah...we don’t have to wish it.

Failure is synonymous with conservatism. All you have to do is give it a few and they’ll ALWAYS screw it up. No need to wish for it. It’s inevitable.

Old 02-02-2020, 07:55 PM

7,519 posts, read 2,823,226 times
Quote:
Nah...we don’t have to wish it.

Failure is synonymous with conservatism. All you have to do is give it a few and they’ll ALWAYS screw it up. No need to wish for it. It’s inevitable.
Says the dude who used to live in Detroit.

Old 02-02-2020, 08:02 PM

52,430 posts, read 26,742,635 times
Let's see....
Quote:
Still trying to figure out why some Americans are cheering for Brexit. What’s it to us regardless?
You've made a 1/2 dozen very very long posts since this. None BTW which actually address the OP. So what is it to you?

Old 02-02-2020, 08:11 PM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,632,620 times
Quote:

That 'take your flags with you' comment was in response to some Brexiters trying to get the EU flag banned in the UK (despite the fact that the EU flag is also the flag of the Council of Europe - which the UK will remain a member of). Some Brexiters tried and failed to burn EU flags in Parliament Square, which is hardly in good spirits is it?

In fact, when we left the EU, several leaders stated that they will never forget the contribution and sacrifices the UK made for peace in Europe.

Ireland will pay back the £3.25 billion plus interest by March 2021. The current leaders of Ireland have nothing to do with being accomodating to Hitler.

I thought the Brexiters, now that they "won", want the country to come together and reconcile? Surely antagonising our closest trading partner is not the way to go about that? A US trade deal (17% of trade), will never replace the trade we did with the EU (49% of our trade).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies