Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2019, 02:05 PM

4,195 posts, read 1,601,146 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post
Where has anyone said that it is anti-Semitic to criticize the policies of the Israeli government? I've followed the issue pretty closely, and never once heard anyone say that.

if you do not chose your words very very carefully you will be labeled an anti-Semite by this forums posters for example i have labeled the likud party nationalist Zionist and been labeled as an anti semite

i oppose ALL nationalism with the thought that European nationalism nearly destroyed the continent with its ww1 and ww2..

no person of group of persons is exempt from criticism in this world

Old 12-19-2019, 02:16 PM

19,387 posts, read 6,505,945 times
Quote:
Where has anyone said that it is anti-Semitic to criticize the policies of the Israeli government? I've followed the issue pretty closely, and never once heard anyone say that.
So true.

What I have pointed out that quite often the criticism of Israel is driven by negativity toward Jews, particularly when one considers the double standards applied to Israel versus other countries. One only has to follow an anti-Israel thread to see snide remarks about Jews thinking they are the “Chosen People,” or, even worse, posters throwing around antiquated Old Testament verses that show Judaism in a bad light, or other general comments criticizing Jews - including one, as I recall, that Jews deserved the Holocaust. My question has always been that if targeted condemnation of Israel is not correlated with antisemitism, why then does a thread condemning Israel always veer off to include antisemitic comments?

Old 12-19-2019, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
where's Rachael?
Ah....a liberal calls me out by name.

You saw my response upthread. I have pointed out that anti-Israel threads veer off, without fail, to criticize Jews and Judaism, with some distinctly antisemitic comments included. If there is no correlation between condemning Israel and disdain for Jews, why then does every single thread devolve into some pretty hateful remarks about Jews and nasty Old Testament quotes?

As to where I am, I am on a wonderful vacation and thus will not be actively engaged in this thread, much as the OP and you are trying to incite me. It’s simply too nice here to ruin my relaxing time.

Old 12-19-2019, 02:26 PM

Quote:
BTW the lack of response may be explained by other factors. People may be tired of having their writings disappear, for example. And we've been over and over this topic in the past.

Take the case of Rep Ilhan Omar (D,MN) for example, who is often accused of anti-Semitism. If you look at her messaging, it almost never has anything to do with Israeli policy. It's just traditional anti-Jewish tropes such as "all about the Benjamins, baby."
Excellent point! Omar said nothing about Israeli policy. She did however advance an antisemitic trope about Jews and money.

Old 12-19-2019, 02:33 PM

6,061 posts, read 2,011,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t
Quote:
We should be very clear that it is not antisemitic to criticize the policies of the Israeli government.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Oh my. Easy there. I am simply pointing at how you are misinterpreting the quote, or what else in the article about this you might also like to consider. Fair?
Again, I copied an exact quote (from Bernie) from your post #1. Where did I misinterpret it?

Old 12-19-2019, 02:33 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,678,698 times
Maybe the lack of comments is because this is so obvious to many of us "reasonable" people.

I know Right Wing American Jews who are always posting about the newest "outrage" in the USA even when it involves nothing except what someone who was baited said.

I stop myself from replying. I am very disciplined.

IMHO, there are big differences between anti-Fundamentalism or class envy.....which is sometimes labeled as Anti-Semitism.

I'm anti-deplorable but that doesn't mean I'm anti-conservative or even anti-religion.

Many, maybe most, people dislike or distrust "the other". Some of anti-semitism is just "anti the other", which makes it quite Garden Variety.

Old 12-19-2019, 02:38 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,876,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvis44102 View Post
if you do not chose your words very very carefully you will be labeled an anti-Semite by this forums posters for example i have labeled the likud party nationalist Zionist and been labeled as an anti semite

i oppose ALL nationalism with the thought that European nationalism nearly destroyed the continent with its ww1 and ww2..

But I see that as being imperialism. WWI was a war between empires and WWII was Hitler wanting to continue that war. A true nationalist wouldn't invade other countries. If it did, it's crossed over to imperialist.

Old 12-19-2019, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvis44102 View Post

It's hard for me to imagine someone accusing of 'anti-Semitism' over using the terms 'nationalism' or 'Zionism.' Many are proud to call themselves 'Zionist.' For example, in a book I reviewed by progressive author Bari Weiss (How to Fight Anti-Semitism), she describes herself as a proud Zionist. It is not a pejorative.

Nor is 'nationalist' a pejorative. The Declaration of Independence is a decidedly nationalist document.

If someone really called you anti-Semitic over that, I'd agree that they were being dumb.

Old 12-19-2019, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
But I see that as being imperialism. WWI was a war between empires and WWII was Hitler wanting to continue that war. A true nationalist wouldn't invade other countries. If it did, it's crossed over to imperialist.
Exactly right; in fact Hitler was very much an internationalist, or globalist. He originally had planned to engage in colonization on the model of Britain, France, and Spain. However he decided that most of the prime territory had already been taken, so he decided to try to colonize, so to speak, his neighbors in Europe. One of his models was actually the pre-civil war American South.

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/...americans.html

Quote:
By the time Germany had unified in 1871, the world had already been colonized by other European powers. Germany’s defeat in the First World War cost it the few overseas possessions it had gained. So where, in the 20th century, were the lands open for German conquest? Where was Germany’s frontier, its Manifest Destiny?
All that remained was the home continent. “For Germany,” wrote Hitler, “the only possibility of a sound agrarian policy was the acquisition of land within Europe itself.”

Old 12-19-2019, 03:01 PM

15,847 posts, read 6,547,612 times
I'm okay with criticizing Israel. We do that with other western states as well. Where it starts to get grating is when people take a one-sided view: Israelis bad, Palestinians good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies