Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2019, 12:20 PM

6,913 posts, read 3,372,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Part of the bill signed yesterday mandated a nationwide 21 year old requirement to buy cigarettes. Only 19 states have found that to be agreeable yet the Federal government is forcing them to comply now with a national standard. A new 12 week paid maternity benefit for federal workers is also now law. How long will it before it is extended to private employers? These are two long desired Democratic goals. The federal mandate on smokes is almost Obama-esque in it's concept and reach. It makes me wonder if Trump, once a New York Democrat, is starting to pivot back to his roots as he approaches a second term. For those of you who have not watched and listened to him over the years, he has a lot of leftist ideas in that old head of his. Maybe we will get a liberal either way in 2020.
These were in the spending bill so it is either veto the entire bill and shut down the government or pass it in total. Not signs of liberal leaning. The House put this stuff in there knowing it had to be signed.

There was line item veto allowed in 1994 - The Supreme Court ruled against the line item veto in 1996.

Governors in 44 States and DC have line item veto.

Last edited by ddeemo; 12-22-2019 at 12:34 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2019, 12:26 PM

6,913 posts, read 3,372,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Im pretty sure the military forces still carry and sell cigarettes at their stores, 'Commissary' I think they are called?
Commissary is the grocery store, the Exchange is the general store and the Package/Class 6 is the Liquor store. They do sell tobacco and alcohol in the Exchanges and the Package stores on base.

Old 12-22-2019, 02:58 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,717,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeemo View Post
These were in the spending bill so it is either veto the entire bill and shut down the government or pass it in total. Not signs of liberal leaning. The House put this stuff in there knowing it had to be signed.

There was line item veto allowed in 1994 - The Supreme Court ruled against the line item veto in 1996.

Governors in 44 States and DC have line item veto.
Mitch McConnell introduced the tobacco bill and did so with Trump’s blessing. It, also gives with other bills were backed into the “ must pass” bill.

Old 12-22-2019, 03:01 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,568,534 times
Kick the habit and this won't bother you. I don't smoke because I'd rather spend money on other things.

Old 12-22-2019, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
So you can smoke weed in some states but the tobacco in that joint could be illegal if you are under 21.

That makes the law really clear.
Age 21 is the minimum age to buy legal marijuana in those states that have legalized it.

Old 12-22-2019, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
I've always believed if a person is old enough to die or be maimed in the service of our country in the military, that person is old enough to partake in adult vices.
Average age for enlistment is 21.

Old 12-22-2019, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Well, the tobacco industry is a LARGE industry, employees alot of people...seems strange Trump would be ok with suddenly cutting off a good percentage of their customers! (the 18-20 age range).
Ky is a big tobacco growing state. Nonetheless, McConnell introduced the bill.

Most adults who smoke started in their teens.

I don’t know how most teens can afford to buy cigarettes, given the taxes.

Old 12-22-2019, 03:34 PM

45,213 posts, read 26,424,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
Kick the habit and this won't bother you. I don't smoke because I'd rather spend money on other things.
I dont smoke, its a nasty unhealthy habit, but you know something worse? Letting politicians criminalize vices and habits.
Eventually it will get around to one of yours.

Old 12-22-2019, 03:49 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,807,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
It does not matter if it bothers me or not, it is the concept that is the issue. I have never smoked, never will, but that does not make me not aware of the absurdity of this. The fact that the gov is telling people between 18 and 21 they are too stupid to make such decisions on smoking, but are perfectly fine making decisions with life long consequences such as taking on financial debt and joining the military. Worse yet, that they can vote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Average age for enlistment is 21.
It does not matter the average age of people enlisting, what matters is the age in which someone can enlist, which is technically 17 but generally 18. These people can sign such a contract with life long implications, yet hey, the gov has determined they are not smart enough to determine if they want to smoke or not. That does not even make sense.

Old 12-22-2019, 03:55 PM

44 posts, read 25,562 times
I hate nanny-stateisms, even well intentioned ones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies