Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2020, 09:42 AM

17,005 posts, read 12,592,213 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
I'm willing to bet that percentage is much higher. Just look at who's breeding. Low intelligence is correlated with low incomes. Half of all annual US births are paid for by Medicaid, the free health care program for the poor. Women enrolled in public assistance programs have a 3 times higher birth rate than women (with or without partners) who are self-supporting (source: US Census Bureau). The US is in a downward spiral. That's just the way it is.
IQ is a very tricky thing.

My son has ADHD and his IQ is all over the board. VERY high in some areas. Not so much in others. In the tests he took, some areas were 99th percentile. Others only in the 20s. He is a natural for the trades which is how I am pushing him. Last night, the he fixed the computer I thought was dead. (Power issues on a laptop. Not an easy fix. I HATE working on a laptop compared to a desktop) No training, just wanting to use the computer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2020, 09:45 AM

17,005 posts, read 12,592,213 times
Quote:
It's not. You have to determine that yourself by actually being intelligent. I've already posted this several times, but the poverty level is determined by income, not housing costs:

https://aspe.hhs.gov/poverty-guidelines

Given the federal income determination of poverty, California, with it's much higher minimum wage than the federal mandate, has the highest poverty rate in the US. Why? They supposedly earn more, so why the higher poverty rate?
IS this number of poor or rate? This has me confuzzled.

according to this, CA is in the middle.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...y_poverty_rate

Old 01-02-2020, 10:13 AM

430 posts, read 283,859 times
I am wondering if any of the posters in this thread have ever had a business with employees? Please consider that raising the minimum wage is actually raising wages across the board, not just the person making minimum. I had two small retail stores. Most of my employees are college students. I have always hired above minimum in an attempt to hire better people. If I have an employee making $12 when the minimum is $11, I need to increase that wage when the minimum is increased to $12. I now also need to increase the wage for one that is making $13, and on and on. My payroll tax goes up with it, their income tax goes up with it, my cost for unemployment and compensation goes up with it. My utilities go up with it.

At the same time all of the vendors that supply my products have increased their pay and their costs have gone up, so guess what? The cost for my goods goes up. Now I have more cost in labor and more cost of goods so...Do you see? I am in a state that is aggressively raising the minimum, as a matter of fact it went up a dollar yesterday just as it has the past couple of years and will continue. I have inched up my prices to the point that I am not comfortable going any higher anytime soon. I trimmed hours at both stores by analyzing sales and seeing which hours consistently were not profitable. I have looked into every possible way to cut any cost: cancelling alarm services, in-store music service, cheaper internet/phone service, reduced use of A/C, etc. My wife and I kept adding to the hours that we were in the stores (I have full time employment elsewhere that pays my bills). We finally closed one location and are trying to keep the other open. We went from 11 employees to 4. I still pay above minimum and I try to raise those who perform well, but I also always have to increase prices when the that minimum goes up. Prices are going up on everything everywhere. My employees have made no gain with the wage increase, because everything they buy has gone up accordingly. This is not a career for any of them. Most are students trying to get by while pursuing a career. Sometimes I will have an employee wanting to supplement retirement or something. There is no benefit in raising the minimum. We have a product and service that can't really be duplicated online and that is the only reason we are still in business at all. The retailers around me are dropping like flies. People can buy their products much cheaper online because... MOST ARE BEING PRODUCED IN AREAS WHERE THERE ARE NO MINIMUM WAGES. If you are in favor of higher wages, but you are buying products that are made at low wages, you are being hypocritical.

Old 01-02-2020, 10:32 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,604,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
Scaling by area is fine. Funny part is the GOP is all for more local control until the locals increase the minimum wage. See AL for a small example.

25% of this country has an IQ below 90. You are not going to make a tech worker out of the vast majority of them. There has to be a dignified life for them. No I do not care that some people on these boards do not care. I believe in call it "purple balance" between blue left wing SJW lunacy and red right wing hunger games is good lunacy. I look for one thing above all: are you at least working and making an effort to better your situation.
Or Missouri. Kansas City and St Louis had voters pass higher minimum wages, and the state of Missouri struck them down, since Missouri bans individual municipalities and counties from having their own higher minimums. The Missouri State Supreme Court sided with the state and the higher KC and STL minimums were recinded, against the will of the voters

Old 01-02-2020, 11:03 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,165,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
This subject has been posted more times than I can remember, but when I asked why people support a rise in the minimum wage, the answer was always "because the cost of living is higher, and I can't afford things",
That sounds like a reasonably explanation, but, here lies the problem with that kind of thinking.

It doesn't take a brilliant mind to understand that if business has to pay more in wages, business is not going to take the fall, they are going to pass that cost on to the buying public, so where did these wage earners gain anything by getting a raise?
They will be paying more in income tax, more for goods and services, and everything will cost more, so how is raising the wage going to help them?

Bob.
I wouldn't necessarily disagree, but you're missing the Big Picture entirely.

Economics is about scarcity and the inviolable Laws of Economics have built-in safeguards.

One such safeguard is Demand-pull Inflation.

Demand-pull Inflation is not caused by the Federal Reserve, or the money supply, or the value of the US Dollar.

It occurs only when Demand for a resource, good or service exceeds the Supply of that resource, good or service. In other words, there exists over-use, over-consumption or depletion of a good, service or resource.

The Federal Reserve is impotent and totally powerless to stop Demand-pull Inflation.

What's the difference between increasing wages and setting your hair on fire?

There is no difference: they're both the stupidest thing ever.

Cost-of-Living is a function of both Demand-pull and Cost-push Inflation.

Increasing wages makes things 10x worse.

The cost of housing is high in a few areas of the US, because the Demand for housing far exceeds the available Supply of housing.

In many of those areas, housing is saturated and it is totally impossible to build any new housing to increase the Supply of housing.

Even where it is possible to increase the Supply of housing, the length of time it takes to build single or multi-family units is far greater than the rate of increase of Demand. In other words: You cannot build housing fast enough to match Demand.

If you increase wages, all you do is increase the price of housing.

Instead of 1,000 people demanding 100 housing units, now you have 2,000 or 3,000 or 4,000 people demanding 100 housing units.

The price goes up, not down.

The people who could not afford housing are now in a position where they still cannot afford housing.

You cannot possibly win.

No one has a right or is entitled to live in a specific place. If you cannot afford to live in a specific place, then it sucks to be you.

If you cannot afford to live in a particular place, then you need to move to a place you can afford, instead of dicking over 200 Million people to make you feel better about yourself.

Old 01-02-2020, 11:08 AM

13,961 posts, read 5,625,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Economics is about scarcity and the inviolable Laws of Economics have built-in safeguards.

One such safeguard is Demand-pull Inflation.

Demand-pull Inflation is not caused by the Federal Reserve, or the money supply, or the value of the US Dollar.

It occurs only when Demand for a resource, good or service exceeds the Supply of that resource, good or service. In other words, there exists over-use, over-consumption or depletion of a good, service or resource.

The Federal Reserve is impotent and totally powerless to stop Demand-pull Inflation.
Had to cut out this chunk, repeat and highlight.

Particularly, the basic fact that the laws of Economics are indeed inviolable, and I would say immutable as well. It just bears repeating. Carry on...

Old 01-02-2020, 11:14 AM

8,168 posts, read 3,127,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
This subject has been posted more times than I can remember, but when I asked why people support a rise in the minimum wage, the answer was always "because the cost of living is higher, and I can't afford things",
That sounds like a reasonably explanation, but, here lies the problem with that kind of thinking.

It doesn't take a brilliant mind to understand that if business has to pay more in wages, business is not going to take the fall, they are going to pass that cost on to the buying public, so where did these wage earners gain anything by getting a raise?
They will be paying more in income tax, more for goods and services, and everything will cost more, so how is raising the wage going to help them?

Bob.
They need to make up their costs in overhead one way or the other. The most frequent methods is to increase their prices and at the same time decrease the amount and quality of their deliverables.

Old 01-02-2020, 11:58 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,636,949 times
Quote:
California has a $12/hour minimum wage (federal is $7.25/hour) and the highest poverty rate in the US.

California ranks No. 1 in poverty - San Diego Tribune

California is a rare exception. The poverty rate in Colorado is only 11.4%, lower than the national average. Minimum wage in Colorado is $12.

Old 01-02-2020, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
LMAO I understand the minimum isn't free market and that the free market doesn't set wages because it sounds like a peachy idea

Truly, without a doubt, you are the one who has little understanding of basic economics, especially as it involves the law of supply and demand. When the demand for workers goes up and the supply of those workers isn't artificially raised, their wages will go up.
I'll give you an example. In Texas we have a large Hispanic population. Many work in unskilled construction, landscaping and the hospitality busines. Wages in those fields have been stagnant and at times gone down in real wages, not even having to adjust for inflation. The reason behind that is illegals work those very same jobs and the artificial supply of those workers have kept wages down.

THAT is supply and demand. And you don't understand that??? That's basic.

It is enforced by government even though no ones rights have been violated. So you're okay with Jim Crow too? You stink at this

Minimum wage was never meant to be a living wage. Only those with little to no knowledge on economics would say otherwise.

If people listened to you about economics 'Murica would be much worse off.
Where did I say minimum wage was meant to be a living wage. I never did. You got big, big problems if you don't respect peoples' wishes when they exercise their right to vote yes to up the minimum wage. Maybe you would prefer to live in a state, such as Texas where the people don't have the right to exercise that option through the petitioning process.

Old 01-02-2020, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post

Even where it is possible to increase the Supply of housing, the length of time it takes to build single or multi-family units is far greater than the rate of increase of Demand. In other words: You cannot build housing fast enough to match Demand.

If you increase wages, all you do is increase the price of housing.

Instead of 1,000 people demanding 100 housing units, now you have 2,000 or 3,000 or 4,000 people demanding 100 housing units.

The price goes up, not down.

The people who could not afford housing are now in a position where they still cannot afford housing.

You cannot possibly win.

No one has a right or is entitled to live in a specific place. If you cannot afford to live in a specific place, then it sucks to be you.

If you cannot afford to live in a particular place, then you need to move to a place you can afford, instead of dicking over 200 Million people to make you feel better about yourself.
LOL, but who wants to move to Lamar, CO to enjoy working for at least $12 an hour with the cost of living index of only around 76. Living there would probably still suck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies