Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2020, 12:11 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,563,173 times

Advertisements

Seriously, besides jealousy from certain people, what is wrong with some people in our society having more money, which we VOLUNTARILY give to them in exchange for goods and services to BETTER our own life?

If someone doesn't like Jeff Bezos getting rich, don't shop at Amazon. Why on one hand do these people VOLUNTARILY enrich others, on the other hand, complain about the concentration of wealth?

Remember capitalist trade is win-win: every dollar we hand to the evil capitalist, we get back MORE than one dollar worth of goods and services. Nobody would knowingly conduct a trade if he is not getting what his money is worth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2020, 12:23 PM

1,743 posts, read 1,042,231 times
Two words: Human nature.

Old 01-02-2020, 12:25 PM

25,731 posts, read 12,808,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Seriously, besides jealousy from certain people, what is wrong with some people in our society having more money, which we VOLUNTARILY give to them in exchange for goods and services to BETTER our own life?

If someone doesn't like Jeff Bezos getting rich, don't shop at Amazon. Why on one hand do these people VOLUNTARILY enrich others, on the other hand, complain about the concentration of wealth?

Remember capitalist trade is win-win: every dollar we hand to the evil capitalist, we get back MORE than one dollar worth of goods and services. Nobody would knowingly conduct a trade if he is not getting what his money is worth.
If our markets were totally open, free, and fair, then I'd agree, but they are not. Big business pays lobbists to tilt laws into their favor. The more they tilt the gametable, the more out of whack the wealth distribution becomes.

Old 01-02-2020, 12:28 PM

17,005 posts, read 12,589,940 times
It is a balancing act. Some concentration is inevitable; even in Sweden.

The biggest issue is the richest people buying congress to concentrate their power.

Old 01-02-2020, 12:29 PM

4,660 posts, read 1,951,679 times
Jealousy. What really matters is the lifestyle of the average oerson. It doesn't matter to me that Bill Gates has so much more than i do. I have a home, a car, comforts even the richest in the World a century ago would not possess. Heck some of our poorest are our fattest, something which when you think about it boggles the mind.

Old 01-02-2020, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
If our markets were totally open, free, and fair, then I'd agree, but they are not. Big business pays lobbists to tilt laws into their favor. The more they tilt the gametable, the more out of whack the wealth distribution becomes.
Stop voting for the ever bigger government and get the government out of regulating business.

Problem solved.

Old 01-02-2020, 12:39 PM

1,260 posts, read 1,103,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphfr View Post
Two words: Human nature.
One Word: Oligarchy.

Oligarchy, government by the few, especially despotic power exercised by a small and privileged group for corrupt or selfish purposes. Oligarchies in which members of the ruling group are wealthy or exercise their power through their wealth are known as plutocracies.

https://www.britannica.com/topic/oligarchy

Old 01-02-2020, 12:45 PM

3,606 posts, read 1,657,855 times
The average American CEO makes 287 TIMES MORE than the average worker...biggest income disparity gap in the WORLD.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inco..._United_States

Old 01-02-2020, 12:56 PM

35,693 posts, read 21,049,622 times
It’s not jealousy, it’s fairness. I don’t want their yachts or 12 bathroom houses / just want medical to be affordable, get paid a decent wage for what I do and keep prices of houses, food, utilities cars n gas at a rate 90% of the people can afford in their areas. Every time I read xyx elect co made 115% over their profit margins- I know it’s 5 families eating lobsters for breakfast in Bimini.
People should not have to decide to buy meds over milk or go crazy paying for epipen at$500 each, and need one at school one at home and one with you at all times. And have to change out as they expire. Just posted most women want to be home to raise their children, but can they afford it / probably not.
I’m glad min wage is up- but how much they jacking up the rest ?

Old 01-02-2020, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherman99 View Post
The average American CEO makes 287 TIMES MORE than the average worker...biggest income disparity gap in the WORLD.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inco..._United_States
So? CEO is just another employee if you don't know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies