Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2020, 08:01 AM

45,230 posts, read 26,450,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbythegreat View Post
Of course you aren't, because that's the Iranian spin but I'll educate you not that it'll do you any good.

A US embassy is American soil.

I get that doesn't matter to you and you are a fan of Iranian terrorism, but you should at least know the facts.
Makes sense...so long as you ignore all the offenses that lead up to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

13,601 posts, read 4,934,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Good to see that Iraq and Afghanistan III will be fully approved by the same crowd that approved the first.

It's as if people didn't learn that "taking down Saddam" didn't do anything "great". They have learned none of the lessons of the ME over the past 70 years.

And, perhaps most disturbingly, they support the USA being in endless conflicts all over the world without any declaration of war or end game.

Americans were cheering at Shock and Awe.....just like on this thread. But then they go back to their TV's and Video Games when all the blowback occurs for decades afterwards.

The basic game is over. We lost. Killing one leader means nothing. There are literally millions of replacements.

I'm serious when asking this question. How do any of you possibly think that "taking out leaders" will accomplish something when we took out an entire deck of cards worth (52 for starters) in Iraq and it didn't do anything except make things worse?

Are y'all like Rambo "Will we get to win this time?". It's not happening, folks. China is eating our lunch while you cheer at a situation which is only being made worse.

One thing that even the most rabid Hawks understand now...maybe two:
1. You cannot win against the home team (Vietnam, etc.)
2. You need to have massive forces ON THE GROUND to even play the game.

So, which of you are signing up?

Literally the SAME people who said they voted for Trump because Hillary was a hawk....are now into more war. Amazing turnabout.

"Trump was an isolationist, until he wasn’t
Trump voters could be forgiven for wondering what happened to the Donald Trump who roared through the GOP primaries — and later the general election — by promising an America First foreign policy that would shrink the US role on the world stage and spend more money at home than abroad."
Excellent post

6,454 posts, read 7,011,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralParty View Post
While I agree that we needed to do something to retaliate for the embassy attacks, another attack not passed through congress was probably not the right idea.

I believe the attacks were a strategic move by Trump and his team to take the heat off of impeachment. And I have to admit, Trump has done a good job in doing so. I don't watch cable news, but just out of curiosity, I checked "the big three" this morning (Fox, CNN, MSNBC), and the killing Suleimani is dominating all networks at the moment. Not a single mention of impeachment.

Trump is very impulsive, and he's all about the "splash" factor, making big headlines. And the team around him is well aware of that. Instead of taking a few days to discuss this with Congress and figure out how to retaliate or punish Iran for the embassy attack, Trump would rather go for the "splash" of a bombing and killing of a top hezbollah officer.

A retired Marine officer on Fox News just said that he expects the retaliation from Iran to be "severe," to include bombings and kidnapping of Americans in the region.

Well played by Donald Trump. I dislike the man and think he's the worst president in American history, but he's always been very good at manipulating the free press. And not a single person is talking about impeachment this morning, which is exactly what Donny wanted with these bombings. I have to tip my cap to him.
^^ and this folks is exactly why Trump had to go around Congress as Commander in Chief to deal with this immediately.

Imagine this message amplified 1000x by Nancy Pelosi, Chuck Schumer, and the 23 Democrats running for President and their constituencies.

They would have bottled this up with layers and layers of debate, protests, nightly talk shows, rappers rapping about it, organized protests and the like.

2,662 posts, read 1,378,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumann Koch View Post
Yesterday’s successful, long-range, military operation of taking down a high level enemy military leader reminds me of the shooting down of Japan’s Admiral Yamamoto during WWII.

Only, more than 75 years later, it was done with unmanned, high-tech drone aircraft instead of human pilots flying fighter planes with extra fuel tanks and using maps.
I thought of that as well. Made me reflect on how different WW2 would be with modern technology, even if nukes were not employed.

Old 01-03-2020, 08:02 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,223,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
this is pure insanity. this guy was a very important person in iran. iran hasnt attacked or invaded anyone. iran is an ally if the iraqi government and is there with the blessing of the iraqi government. the us has no right to murder them there. i am concerned that the US government has now potentially brought attacks to the US homeland with its evil act of murder. there should be accountability in the government for what happened, this is horrible.

Have you already forgotten the Iranian attack on Saudi Arabia?

Old 01-03-2020, 08:03 AM

2,646 posts, read 1,846,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
Well trump could give putin a ring and ask what he should do next. That was Obama's strategy, check with putin first. Failed in yemen, Libya, funded Iranian terrorists, gave cover to ISIS, sent food and blankets to Ukraine, pulled missiles promised to Poland, sold 20% of our uranium supply to putin, and of course there was Benghazi. then the white house told us the world was a more tranquil place. And the media nodded silently in agreement.
Trump is the one who is sitting as president and commander in chief. He is the one you should be analyzing. The man makes decisions on his mood of the day and his followers praise him. What are you waiting for? Instead of hope he brings fear for the new year.

Old 01-03-2020, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
" Democrats in essence have joined forces with terrorist seeking to protect them saying killing them is an act of war "

Democrats are going to say anything opposite of what Trump does. I mainly ignore them. This was a bad dude, Iraqis are celebrating. I'm also glad he is dead. I still cannot wait until we are out of the middle east though. Bush put us in a terrible position.
well we have plenty of examples both parties pivoting on their own principles. Stop pretending yours holds some high ground.

Old 01-03-2020, 08:04 AM

8,957 posts, read 2,559,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Makes sense...so long as you ignore all the offenses that lead up to it.
So you're going with the idea that killing terrorists is justification for terrorist attacks?

.... and people question why I point out the domestic enemies of the US. We have done of our friends on the left here unironically supporting terrorists just so they can say orange man bad.

Yikes.

Old 01-03-2020, 08:06 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,678,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
So it's your position that one leader is as good as another? That it doesn't really matter who is the leader so long as there is a warm body to be called a leader?
My position is to look at our former mass assassinations and round-ups in Iraq and Afghanistan and learn something from it.

Do you think if the Ruskies took over the USA and you "Patriots" didn't accept it, that killing one leader would stop the revolt and we'd all praise Stalin? Of course not.

These movements in the ME are mass movements with 100's of thousands of people willing to die. Are you.....ready to die or fight over there? That's the end game. In the Iran-Iraq war the body count was over a million.

To say nothing of Putin and friends who are on Irans side....

"Iran and Russia are strategic allies and form an axis in the Caucasus alongside Armenia. Iran and Russia are also military allies in the conflicts in Syria and Iraq and partners in Afghanistan and post-Soviet Central Asia."

Your thinking on this matter seems quite shallow. I will at least admit that the entire scene is chaos and ANYTHING can happen. There is no method to the madness. It is possible, although an incredibly small percentage shot, that things won't turn out too bad.

But the larger percentages say the usual - that once the Dog of War are unleashed, the laws of unintended (or intended, if you are part of the Security State) come into play.

Old 01-03-2020, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbythegreat View Post
So you're going with the idea that killing terrorists is justification for terrorist attacks?

.... and people question why I point out the domestic enemies of the US. We have done of our friends on the left here unironically supporting terrorists just so they can say orange man bad.

Yikes.
You're the outlier here, supporting decades of aggression and occupation of other countries and then pretending to be the victim when it all goes wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies