Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2020, 11:13 PM

3,730 posts, read 1,768,035 times

Advertisements

The problem is these people leave but they don’t leave their liberalism views that destroyed NY.

Quote:
As the old song goes, “if you can make it here, you can make it anywhere.”

Unfortunately for New York, more people are choosing to leave the Big Apple and go “anywhere” but here.
https://newyork.cbslocal.com/2020/01...ving-new-york/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2020, 11:16 PM

39,875 posts, read 26,526,580 times
I escaped 25 years ago. And vow to not let my new home become the cesspool NYS had become.

Old 01-02-2020, 11:25 PM

31,086 posts, read 22,101,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodTheBadTheUgly View Post
The problem is these people leave but they don’t leave their liberalism views that destroyed NY.

Yep, they fup their states and cities with Santuary laws that their people didn't even vote for, put up needle distribution centers, then escape and bring the same Lunacy with them. It's along the lines of Obama destabilizing Syria by backing the overthrow of Assad, then inviting all the people he helped displace into the US...Insane!

Old 01-02-2020, 11:47 PM

8,070 posts, read 12,790,933 times
I grew up in the Rochester, N.Y. area; Mom and a couple of Aunts still live there. I left in my early 20's. I enjoyed the location but in my opinion it isn't in my best interests to live there.

The main reason is the corruption and taxation. Not only do they have an income tax and sales tax; property taxes are extreme. Most people I know in the area pay five times more than I do for a similar priced property. Tack on the income tax and sales tax and you are talking serious money.

Where's the money going? I just saw that the state legislature is being paid 110k per year which is clearly DOUBLE what most other states pay. Why is that?

I recently saw that the Rochester city school district is spending over 30,000 dollars per student and they have a higher dropout rate and lower test scores than the Nashville public school system here in Tennessee. Nashville spends just over 10,000 dollars per student. WHY does it cost more than most colleges to educate students in Rochester, N.Y. ? It certainly isn't the quality.

Another thing is the way Cuomo acts more like a dictator than a public servant. Just look at the legal marijuana issue. Most states that have legalized weed have done so by referendum but not Cuomo; he just decided that the legislature should decide.

New York will continue to lose taxpayers unless it can create a favorable environment.

Old 01-03-2020, 06:21 AM

59,113 posts, read 27,340,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodTheBadTheUgly View Post

" More People Are Leaving New York Than Any Other State In The U.S"

They have LOST seats in the House due to a decreasing population
"Census Estimates Show California, New York Losing House ...

https://www.nationalreview.com › news › census-estimates-show-california...
4 days ago - New York, which the Census estimates lost over 180,000 to domestic migration, will likely lose another House seat after losing two in 2010.

Old 01-03-2020, 06:25 AM

15,534 posts, read 10,510,396 times
Funny, I read an article yesterday that said it was New Jersey, oh well.

Old 01-03-2020, 06:27 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,713,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
I thought Illinois was losing the most people. I guess everyone wants to be number one at something....whether its good or bad.

Old 01-03-2020, 06:31 AM

11,802 posts, read 5,804,343 times
Quote:
If you do a google search - you will see that NY is in the top 3 in every study as to the migration issue. Not all NYers moving from the state bring their liberal views with them - many like myself have been so fed up with the taxes and policies that we look for more conservative states to move to. Unfortunately, the same can't be said for everyone and yes they bring their liberal views with them.

Old 01-03-2020, 06:34 AM

16,911 posts, read 10,598,766 times
Quote:
Jersey is the highest state for leaving. The same issues of high taxes, high cost of living, and lack of freedoms is driving people out.

Old 01-03-2020, 06:38 AM

39,875 posts, read 26,526,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
I grew up in the Rochester, N.Y. area; Mom and a couple of Aunts still live there. I left in my early 20's. I enjoyed the location but in my opinion it isn't in my best interests to live there.

The main reason is the corruption and taxation. Not only do they have an income tax and sales tax; property taxes are extreme. Most people I know in the area pay five times more than I do for a similar priced property. Tack on the income tax and sales tax and you are talking serious money.

Where's the money going? I just saw that the state legislature is being paid 110k per year which is clearly DOUBLE what most other states pay. Why is that?

I recently saw that the Rochester city school district is spending over 30,000 dollars per student and they have a higher dropout rate and lower test scores than the Nashville public school system here in Tennessee. Nashville spends just over 10,000 dollars per student. WHY does it cost more than most colleges to educate students in Rochester, N.Y. ? It certainly isn't the quality.

Another thing is the way Cuomo acts more like a dictator than a public servant. Just look at the legal marijuana issue. Most states that have legalized weed have done so by referendum but not Cuomo; he just decided that the legislature should decide.

New York will continue to lose taxpayers unless it can create a favorable environment.
They have been doing so for decades. NY state taxes, regulations and local property taxes have been driving businesses, especially manufacturing, out of upstate NY for decades (I grew up around Lockport, just up the road from your old stomping grounds). People are leaving-out of the top graduates in my HS class, I was the last to leave the state. People that live in NY don't realize that boarded up downtowns, mile after mile of rusting and crumbling factories and $10k per year property tax bills are not normal in this nation, and are not required to pay for necessary services. They don't realize that being charged a toll to drive on a road constructed and paid by their taxes 70 years ago is not normal. That regressive, backwards, restrictive civil rights laws that ensure that only criminals are armed are not normal. That embracing criminals and treating them better than law abiding citizens is not normal. More people need to leave NYS and see what life is like in America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies