Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2020, 12:13 PM

6,476 posts, read 4,084,959 times

Advertisements

https://www.herald-dispatch.com/news...cd4f169e1.html

Huntington, West Virginia was only behind Saint Louis and Baltimore for murder rates in 2017, and we are supposed to believe it's some sort of safe European haven that a Detroit thug ruined. Bro, it's been a murderous place for time now even though it's 87% White, it's still very dangerous, and dangerous places tend to attract dangerous people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2020, 12:20 PM

73,075 posts, read 62,706,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bursitis View Post
But, it was still an African-American who committed this mass shooting.

Quit making excuses for him.
When was I making excuses for the shooter? Or is this just sarcasm? If it's sarcasm, okay then. If not, I have more to say.

Old 01-04-2020, 01:00 PM

4,861 posts, read 9,318,767 times
Quote:
But, it was still an African-American who committed this mass shooting.

Quit making excuses for him.
But it wasn't a racial hate crime, it was brought on by drugs and/or money and the fact that the shooter was black and most of the victims were white had nothing to do with it.

It's the same as when people immediately accuse others who oppose open borders and large numbers of undocumented illegals surging across our southern border of being racist. It is NOT about the people being from Mexico and Central America and it is NOT about them being brown, it is about them breaking the laws of our country to try to get something for nothing. If lily white Canadians for whatever reason were doing the same at the northern border people would object in the same way and for the same reason and if 1,000,000 brown people immigrated legally and lived in a law abiding way why would anyone object?

So many things have nothing at all to do with the color of the skin of the people involved. To insist that they always automatically do is just simplistic, lazy, and foolish.

Old 01-04-2020, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly Known As Twenty View Post
Huntington is a college town and the second largest metro in the state. Out-of-state tags aren't unusual.

Besides, advocating for pulling someone over for having out-of-state plates? Mmmhmm. I see where you're *really* going with that one.

P.S. This wasn't a random act of violence (or even a "hate crime") as the hookah bar owner is a.) originally from the Detroit metro and b.) has a past history involving heroin. The gunman went into that place to target a specific person/persons.
Marshall University. I have a friend who went there. University towns attract people from all over the world. And I would say that is one of the best things about Huntington. Huntington has alot of problems. However, having Marshall University is a good thing. For all the bad that happens, alot of people don't know that it's a university town.

Randomly pulling people over based on what state their license plate says is a violation of the 4th Amendment. Unreasonable search and seizure. Being from a different state is not probable cause. Speeding is probable cause to pull someone over, because a law has been broken. Broken tail lights would be a good reason to pull someone over. A license plate from a different state? Not probable cause. That is just a violation of the 4th Amendment. Of course, this is my theory behind wanting to violate that Amendment. It isn't only about what state is from. It's about race.

Huntington has alot of things to criticize. On the flip side, there is something else to mention. Huntington, as I mentioned before, is a university town. Alot of students. It is not uncommon for people not from West Virginia to be there. I have a sneaking suspicion that said person also doesn't like college towns.

Considering that heroin was involved, calling this a hate crime is beyond a stretch. But then again, I think about some of the places said person touts as vanguards of conservatism. Mississippi is a Republican conservative state. So is North Dakota. So is Nebraska. Alabama too. I notice North Dakota and Nebraska are mentioned, but never Mississippi and Alabama. This is my theory as to why. Mississippi is 37% Black while Nebraska is 4% Black and North Dakota is maybe 1% Black. Calling this a hate crime wasn't done because this was actually a hate crime.

I suspect the "pull everyone with Michigan plates over" is dog whistle speak for "Black people have no business going to West Virginia". I also think this is the same reason said person called this shooting a "hate crime". A Black man from another state committing a violent crime in one of the whitest, most Republican states in the USA. You can't blame Democrats or Republicans for this. This highlights the drug problems in places like the small towns in Ohio and West Virginia.

Old 01-04-2020, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post

Huntington, West Virginia was only behind Saint Louis and Baltimore for murder rates in 2017, and we are supposed to believe it's some sort of safe European haven that a Detroit thug ruined. Bro, it's been a murderous place for time now even though it's 87% White, it's still very dangerous, and dangerous places tend to attract dangerous people.
Huntington has been struggling for the past few years. The population has been in decline over the past 70 years. Blaming Detroit isn't going to change the fact that West Virginia was a dumping ground for opioid pills. It won't change the fact that pharmacies were dispencing pills like candy in WV. That stuff didn't come from the drug dealers of Detroit. That stuff came from pharmaceutical companies. The heroin dealers are just a smaller part of a big problem. And consider this. Where did the heroin come from? If there's alot of heroin in Detroit and Baltimore, where did those cities get ahold of it from?

Old 01-04-2020, 02:06 PM

6,927 posts, read 6,946,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
https://www.wsaz.com/content/news/At...566622751.html

It is amazing how this hate crime could have prevented if the police would have pulled him over based on his Michigan license plates being in West Virginia.
Reading through this thread makes me feel as if I had inadvertently stepped into a white supremacist meeting. LC, your dog whistle is so loud that it hurts my ears. You need to cowboy up and just say what you mean:

Black people need to stay the hell out of West Virginia (and other white Appalachian states) or else the police will pull them over and arrest them for the crime of traveling while Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
Hence, the reason why we should they should eliminate section 8 vouchers for those types who are desperate and so unappealing that they recruit men from all over the country to stay at their section 8 residences.
And your war on section 8 recipients continues. Get rid of all the section 8 vouchers because the unappealing poor white trash women just love to find themselves a nice Afro-American drug dealer to move in with them and pollute the superior white gene pool.

As a white woman originally from the Eastern Kentucky mountains, I find your posts to be deeply offensive in every possible way. As a human being, I am disgusted by the bigotry of conservatives such as yourself.

This, THIS is why I will never vote republican - not ever.

Old 01-04-2020, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post

I would also like to mention something else. Since we're on the subject of Black people and violence, here is something else to consider. West Virginia has one of the highest Black homicide rates in the USA. Blacks make up about 3 percent of WV's population. Blacks get murdered as twice the rate in WV as Blacks nationwide. This is according to the most recent data available on this topic.

https://www.wvpublic.org/post/wvas-r...ation#stream/0

http://vpc.org/studies/blackhomicide19.pdf
States with the highest Black homicide rate:
Missouri (46.21 per 100,000)
Wyoming (40.43 per 100,000)
Wisconsin (37.57 per 100,000)
West Virginia (36.86 per 100,000)
Alaska (36.28 per 100,000)
Illinois (36.4 per 100,000)
Indiana (31.93 per 100,000)
Kentucky (28.85 per 100,000)
Michigan (28.55 per 100,000)
Tennessee (28.41 per 100,000)
Louisiana (27.72 per 100, 000)
Pennsylvania (27.5 per 100,000)

Of the 81 murders committing in West Virginia in 2016, 24 of the victims were Black. A majority of the victims aren't Black, but Blacks are far more likely to be victims than anyone else, per capita. Furthermore, the average Black homicide rate, nationally, is 20.44 per 100,000. West Virginia's Black homicide rate is much higher than the national average. And for anyone who would like to say "Republicans are better", that is a load of crap. Oklahoma has often cracked the top 10 for Black homicide rates. The latest for Oklahoma's Black homicide rate: 26.61 per 100,000.

The states with the lowest Black homicide rates:
Maine (0)
Montana (0)
South Dakota (0)
Vermont(0)
Utah (2.42 per 100,000)
Oregon (8.02 per 100,000)
North Dakota (8.91 per 100,000)
Connecticut (9.27 per 100,000)
Washington state (9.3 per 100,000)
New Hampshire (9.81 per 100,000)
Massachusetts (10.32 per 100,000)
Mississippi (10.57 per 100,000)

Liberal states like Vermont, Washington, Oregon, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Connecticut, Maine, those states have among the lowest Black homicide rates in the nation. Among the conservative states, Mississippi stands out. It has a low Black homicide rate in spite of Mississippi as a whole having a high murder.

I also think about this. Minnesota and Wisconsin literally border each other. Both of their Black homicide rates vary greatly. Minnesota has a Black homicide rate around 11.4 per 100,000. Wisconsin, next door, has a Black homicide rate of 37.57 per 100,000, 3 times that of Minnesota.

Old 01-04-2020, 03:06 PM

319 posts, read 145,803 times
Damn.

There's a lot of excuses and unproven accusations in this thread.

Bottom line is a black guy is the one who committed this mass shooting.

Old 01-04-2020, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
Reading through this thread makes me feel as if I had inadvertently stepped into a white supremacist meeting. LC, your dog whistle is so loud that it hurts my ears. You need to cowboy up and just say what you mean:

Black people need to stay the hell out of West Virginia (and other white Appalachian states) or else the police will pull them over and arrest them for the crime of traveling while Black.
This is basically what I have been saying. Said person can't say "Blacks need to stay out of Whites areas" or "I don't want Blacks going to West Virginia or any other 90% White state" without some kind of reaction. This is why dog whistle terms like "Michigan" and "Detroit" are being used. When said person said "why would someone from Detroit want to go to a heavily European-American town", I know what said person meant. It was a dog whistle for "I don't want Blacks in West Virginia", or rather "this is what happens when Blacks are around".

Quote:
And your war on section 8 recipients continues. Get rid of all the section 8 vouchers because the unappealing poor white trash women just love to find themselves a nice Afro-American drug dealer to move in with them and pollute the superior white gene pool.

As a white woman originally from the Eastern Kentucky mountains, I find your posts to be deeply offensive in every possible way. As a human being, I am disgusted by the bigotry of conservatives such as yourself.

This, THIS is why I will never vote republican - not ever.
Let's call that what it is. Another dog whistle. It's aimed at Black people, but said person is willing to through Whhites, especially Whites from Appalachia, under the bus. Said person thinks getting rid of Section 8 will keep Blacks away. Alot of people have section 8 because they need it.

I will speak from experience. I've seen White female hook up with trashy White males, up close and person. An old friend of mine from college got murdered by her ex-boyfriend, whom from what I heard, was a crazy type. This wasn't in Appalachia. This was suburban Atlanta, the nicer suburbs at that. I have seen situations where women were attracted to the worst and most undesirable men. Section 8 had nothing to do with it. It was just flat out bad judgment no matter what race the man or woman was. Taking away Section 8 won't stop some women from procreating with undesirable men of any race.

The fact that some people are bothered by the fact that non-Black women would have sex with Black men says alot of how some people are just bigots. It also boils down to something else. Some individuals didn't have a problem with Section 8 or any other public assistance program, until large numbers of Blacks started using it, or in this case, non-Black females were dating/living with Black men, particularly the underclass Black males. The OP's Section 8 comment is basically another dog whistle.

I think both parties at this point aren't doing a good job. You have conservatives who would throw poor Whites, particularly those living in Appalachia, under the bus. The motive of those particular conservatives comes out of what Lee Atwater mentioned. Lee Atwater mentioned that dog whistles like "welfare" were used as an abstract way of targeting minorities (especially Blacks). White people getting hurt by it will be looked at as collateral damage at best. In the case of Appalachia, some conservatives will look at the region with their own version of elitism. On the other hand, there are liberals with a very elitist, arrogant attitude towards Appalachia. There are those who see the region as hopeless, even hateful towards it. There is a bit of elitist coming from both parties.

Old 01-04-2020, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Damn.

There's a lot of excuses and unproven accusations in this thread.

Bottom line is a black guy is the one who committed this mass shooting.
So what if a Black guy shot some people? No one is excusing that shooter. Has any expressed any pity for the shooter? What's your point? Why is his being Black more important than the fact that the shooting that took place is indicative of the drug problems Huntington and other cities in Appalachia?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies