Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2020, 12:28 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,053,860 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkcarguy View Post
This is true. Remember Obama's "Drill baby drill?"
Also, don't forget....much of the goods we stopped making in our country due to environmental regulations are now made overseas using dirtier energy, complete disregard for the environment, and then shipped half way around the world via high sulfur diesel powered container ships and sold to us. We all share the same ocean and air right? So we're out the jobs, tax base, and money while we've only sped up the rate of polluting our earth. But to a demorat, it looks good on paper right?
And I'm fascinated by your train of thought .....because I commented that the energy independence has been something that took years to achieve, it wasn't dome overnight (in 3 years) and because of Trump -- doesn't mean that I don't have concerns with the environmental regulations in the USA. The two aren't married....

I think there is a balance to realistic environmental regulations and don't necessarily think they are all necessary.

Your frustration with environmental regulations and development has been an ongoing concern in our household....my husband is in land development and has battled with environmental agencies for almost 35 years....so we understand the frustration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2020, 12:43 PM

1,086 posts, read 443,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
Wrong, Trump won because Hillary was a horrible candidate who ran a horrible campaign. I agree that we need a multiparty system but as long as people vote straight ticket, it will never happen.
If believing that makes you feel better then go ahead and believe it. It doesn't explain why eight years of Obama left the Democrats at their weakest point in 100 years. Your state legislature is dominated by Republicans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cchampagne232000 View Post
There is an interesting podcast about this...apparently Trump has stacked the EPA advisory committee (one that recommends policy decisions) with employees of big energy (oil/coal etc). He fired (or failed to renew) all of the scientists and replaced them with biased individuals.

Essentially they are stealing our current natural resources and future environment for $$$$. Not that Trump voters care.

Podcast if you care to educate yourself:

https://www.revealnews.org/episodes/scuttling-science/
I will listen to this podcast this afternoon.

Old 01-10-2020, 12:48 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,580,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacommonwealth View Post
If believing that makes you feel better then go ahead and believe it. It doesn't explain why eight years of Obama left the Democrats at their weakest point in 100 years. Your state legislature is dominated by Republicans.

I will listen to this podcast this afternoon.
And they are losing ground quickly. They lost their veto proof majority in 2018 as well as the governorship in 2016. They lost trying to gerrymander this state and now must play be the rules and not cheat. Tillis's seat in the Senate is now up for grabs as he is doing poorly in polls. People realize he has done nothing for this state, Hopefully he will lose in 2020.

Do you really sincerely think Hillary was a great candidate who ran a great campaign?

Old 01-10-2020, 01:41 PM

1,086 posts, read 443,368 times
Quote:
And they are losing ground quickly. They lost their veto proof majority in 2018 as well as the governorship in 2016. They lost trying to gerrymander this state and now must play be the rules and not cheat. Tillis's seat in the Senate is now up for grabs as he is doing poorly in polls. People realize he has done nothing for this state, Hopefully he will lose in 2020.

Do you really sincerely think Hillary was a great candidate who ran a great campaign?
The Democrats had dominated the nc state legislature for over100 years. What happened? I voted for Cooper the Democrat over McCrory the Republican because McCrory was a Koch brothers tool who did alot of damage to my profession. No, i dont think hillary was any worse than Biden, they all tow the globalist, open border Democrat line.

The very fact Republicans control the NC legislature shows how far the Democrats have fallen.

Old 01-10-2020, 01:59 PM

1,663 posts, read 878,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Rolling back over reach is a good thing.
This. Almost all of what Donald Trump is doing is removing Obama era EPA overreach. For example, the 2015 Waters of the United States (WOTUS) rule changed the definition of what are considered to be navigable waters, placing even “isolated wetlands, ponds and ditches” under EPA control. Under the new rule a Wyoming farmer who built a pond on his land was fined $75,000 a day even though he had a permit from the state to build it.
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/wyo...n-his-property
Using a 2006 opinion written by Antonin Scalia Trump has changed the definition of "navigable waters" to mean those that have a "continuous surface connection", keeping protections for larger bodies of water in place, yet stops the EPA from trying to destroy a person for digging a trout pond on his own land.
Obama's WOTUS rule was found to be unconstitutional in July 2019. https://legalinsurrection.com/2019/08/court-declares-obamas-epa-waters-of-the-united-states-rule-unlawful/

A 2014 unanimous supreme court decision found that the Obama EPA was attempting to rewrite laws to fit its own agendas stating:
Quote:
We reaffirm the core ... principle that an agency may not rewrite clear statutory terms to suit its own sense of how the statute should operate.” “EPA's interpretation is also unreasonable because it would bring about an enormous and transformative expansion in EPA's regulatory authority without clear Congressional authorization," the justices wrote. "We expect Congress to speak clearly if it wishes to assign to an agency decisions of vast ‘economic and political significance'."
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/s...epas-overreach

EPA also issues rules that have high compliance costs, yet provide little or no benefit. Some examples here: https://www.nationalreview.com/2016/...ons-overreach/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
There will be an environmental disaster. I just hope it’s in a red state. They won’t care anyway but the rest of the country will see and learn from it
Yes voting for democrats gives you a wonderful clean environment and safe,clean streets as we can see in these pearls of liberal leadership.
Seattle

Seattle

San Francisco

Liberals always claim they care about the environment, yet most liberal run cities are ongoing environmental disasters. A study done in San Francisco showed that parts of the city are dirtier than any third world slum, an infectious disease expert said: “The contamination is … much greater than communities in Brazil or Kenya or India." https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/loca...treets/166605/
If liberals care about the environment why don't they fix these dirty, disease infested sewers?

Old 01-10-2020, 02:05 PM

307 posts, read 224,600 times
Quote:
Are we risking our environment to export energy? I am a hunter and fisherman and I love the outdoors. President Trump needs to be the environmental president in his second term. No changes to the National Environmental Policy Act
Not going to happen. Joy Reid wrote a book about how our country's being sold to the highest bidder. Environmental acts are meaningless, so the EPA must be gutted. People will die faster because of this.

Old 01-10-2020, 02:09 PM

52,430 posts, read 26,682,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDWNC View Post
..... Joy Reid wrote a book ......
Epic Fail.

Old 01-10-2020, 05:58 PM

11,122 posts, read 5,602,885 times
Quote:

In fact, Hillary Clinton got more votes for president than anyone in our history, except for Barack Obama.

Old 01-10-2020, 07:26 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,696,215 times
Quote:
The Democrats had dominated the nc state legislature for over100 years. What happened? I voted for Cooper the Democrat over McCrory the Republican because McCrory was a Koch brothers tool who did alot of damage to my profession. No, i dont think hillary was any worse than Biden, they all tow the globalist, open border Democrat line.

The very fact Republicans control the NC legislature shows how far the Democrats have fallen.
Clearly you need to do some research. I will give you a couple hints in case you are truly into it.

The Koch network (AFP) and ALEC and many other orgs combined to "work" at the very local level in everything from voter suppression to gerrymandering. Once they got control of the Gov. offices in a bunch of states they changed the rules and everything else to their benefit. There are many articles, podcasts and other information sources on all of this.

Here is a start. It's important that you realize this is a bought and paid for result - not some "natural will of the people".

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...olitical-group

"Expanding across US states since 2004, AFP installs paid staff at the national, regional, and state levels, and gives them the money and resources needed to influence elections and deploy lobbyists and volunteers in major policy campaigns"

"Taken together, AFP’s grassroots volunteers and staffing rival those of the Republican party itself. However, AFP is not a free-standing political party – but instead is an extra-party organization that parallels and leverages Republican candidates and office-holder"

It's a very smart strategy and if one believes in having 100 Billion dollar plus private corporations shaping the "Will of the People", then you should approve.

There is no Democratic equiv. to these massive organized decades-long attempts to control our government.

If you really want to find the true "Deep State", that's where it is.....corporate money buying each and every candidate from the bottom to the top. The Kochs (AFP) outright threaten any legislators, even lowly small state representatives, with big bucks and activism if they DARE vote for clean water or clear air or enough in taxes to pay the bills.

Old 01-12-2020, 02:12 AM

1,037 posts, read 436,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
State laws do not apply to Federal land - National Parks, National Forests, National Monuments and BLM land unless the Feds ceded jurisdiction to the state.

Not necessarily true. As an example, the Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) sometimes applies the Assimilative Crimes Act and State laws to Federal properties.

If X crime is not codified by the CFR or U.S. Code, and happens on federal property, if it is an offense under the laws of the state in question, the feds can apply/charge state law.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies