Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2020, 12:52 PM

4,021 posts, read 1,799,670 times

Advertisements

It's kind of a 'meh' holiday to me. Did he do good things for his people? Sure. For the country as a whole? Maybe. Was it worth a federal holiday? Not in my opinion. But then California has a Cesar Chavez holiday, so whatever.

I always worked both holidays with my crews...if they wanted to take the day off, fine with me, but everyone always showed up. Musta been a bunch of rednecks or somethin'......

Old 01-19-2020, 12:53 PM

30,373 posts, read 19,170,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manigault View Post
In honor of the national holiday celebrating the life of the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King,Jr. let us now praise all conservative activists who supported Dr. King when he was alive. Also let us praise all the Republican politicians who were previously civil rights activists (like John Lewis) and who went on to become political figures.

I think I can come up with Ed Koch and Charlton Heston, both of whom are a reach since Koch and Heston were both Democrats at the time and Koch's conservativism is debatable.

Anyone else?
I would like to see how many liberals today are supportive of judging people by the content of their character rather than their color....I think it's a miniscule number.

I supported what MLK was doing even though I was very young and continued to support treating people based on their actions rather than their color.

Old 01-19-2020, 12:53 PM

9,897 posts, read 3,430,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Nope. Not the case.

Good points.

King was a MAJOR rabble rouser, and as much as I hate to say it, Conservatives don’t believe in the right to protest. They believe in the right in an abstract fashion, but not in practice. Protesting is anti establishment, and conservatism is all about established power. They know this is a fact.

So King wouldn’t be popular at all with today’s conservatives.
Huh? Aren't pro-life demonstrations alone an example of conservative protest? Or recent free-speech rallies?

Old 01-19-2020, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
I would like to see how many liberals today are supportive of judging people by the content of their character rather than their color....I think it's a miniscule number.

I supported what MLK was doing even though I was very young and continued to support treating people based on their actions rather than their color.
Exactly. In our current era, it's so disingenuous for some to tout King while openly embracing extreme identity politics.

Old 01-19-2020, 02:50 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody01 View Post
It's kind of a 'meh' holiday to me. Did he do good things for his people? Sure. For the country as a whole? Maybe. Was it worth a federal holiday? Not in my opinion. But then California has a Cesar Chavez holiday, so whatever.

I always worked both holidays with my crews...if they wanted to take the day off, fine with me, but everyone always showed up. Musta been a bunch of rednecks or somethin'......
That man did wonders for this country. If it wasn’t for him, you folks would’ve had to kill damn near all of us to stop the terror that we would’ve wrought on the country. Our hand would’ve been forced to force your hand, and the streets would’ve had rivers of blood running down them. Most black folks didn’t believe that whites respected non violence (I still question that myself), but King persuaded African Americans to give white Americans that benefit of the doubt.

In doing that, that man showed more courage than pretty much every American who ever came before him. I don’t have the guts to be humiliated and respond non violently, and at some point in our history without Dr. King, most other African Americans wouldn’t have had that courage either. Me and my ilk believe in busting your damn head open, but that’s not conducive to living in a civilized society and moving the nation forward.

Thank goodness for Dr King. This country can never pay the debt to him for which he’s owed. Better recognize.

Old 01-19-2020, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolom View Post
Huh? Aren't pro-life demonstrations alone an example of conservative protest? Or recent free-speech rallies?
Those are not anti establishment gatherings. Those are bytchfests.

When I see conservatives protest wars, environmental issues, police brutality, or something like that, then I might change my mind.

Y’all sat there and watched Philando Castile get murdered and couldn’t WAIT to see the cop walk free.

Old 01-19-2020, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Those are not anti establishment gatherings. Those are bytchfests.

When I see conservatives protest wars, environmental issues, police brutality, or something like that, then I might change my mind.

Okay, so you don't agree with them so therefore those don't count.

Gotcha.

Quote:
Y’all sat there and watched Philando Castile get murdered and couldn’t WAIT to see the cop walk free.
Who the eff is "yall?" I know what I thought about it. I could easily point out that "yall" saw Michael Brown assault a man half his size and still burned a town down. See how that works?

Old 01-19-2020, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolom View Post
Okay, so you don't agree with them so therefore those don't count.

Gotcha.

Who the eff is "yall?" I know what I thought about it. I could easily point out that "yall" saw Michael Brown assault a man half his size and still burned a town down. See how that works?
No I don’t.

Again, you and your ilk have never seen a police shooting that you didn’t like.

Like I said earlier, conservatives don’t believe in the right to protest because you guys love the status quo. That’s conservatism in a nutshell. Pro established power should never be questioned. Questioning power is anarchical to Conservatives. You’re supposed to enjoy getting screwed, and work towards the day when YOU can do the screwing.

Old 01-20-2020, 10:55 AM

8,425 posts, read 12,187,726 times
The point is that conservatives did not support Dr. King when he was alive -- Civil rights activism was a liberal and progressive joint.

After his death, conservatives limn a sanitized version of Dr. King and avoid his support for affirmative action, his work against economic injustice and his anti-war stance.

Old 01-20-2020, 11:19 AM

4,021 posts, read 1,799,670 times
Quote:
That man did wonders for this country. If it wasn’t for him, you folks would’ve had to kill damn near all of us to stop the terror that we would’ve wrought on the country. Our hand would’ve been forced to force your hand, and the streets would’ve had rivers of blood running down them. Most black folks didn’t believe that whites respected non violence (I still question that myself), but King persuaded African Americans to give white Americans that benefit of the doubt.

In doing that, that man showed more courage than pretty much every American who ever came before him. I don’t have the guts to be humiliated and respond non violently, and at some point in our history without Dr. King, most other African Americans wouldn’t have had that courage either. Me and my ilk believe in busting your damn head open, but that’s not conducive to living in a civilized society and moving the nation forward.

Thank goodness for Dr King. This country can never pay the debt to him for which he’s owed. Better recognize.
I can see your perspective and I respect it.......I don't share all of your views, but will give you that he was an honorable man who did what he thought was best. He certainly was fearless and I respect that. Don't take my post as an insult to you, that was not intended. Enjoy the holiday!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies