Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2020, 03:27 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,863,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Senators Running for President Must Recuse From Impeachment Trial

From her statement:

https://www.redstate.com/sister-told...achment-trial/

I don't see this as being a conflict of interest. If Trump is impeached and removed Pence becomes President. None of the Senators gain anything directly from it.

IF they are removed I'm sure they would be ecstatic, that would be a huge gift to them to be removed from the impeachment process, it frees them up to campaign without interruption.

If I were the a Republican and was asked to make the choice? I would INSIST the participate in the impeachment. It would decimate their ability to campaign.

I'm fine with either decision.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2020, 03:33 PM

2,486 posts, read 825,342 times
Quote:

From her statement:https://www.redstate.com/sister-told...achment-trial/

Shifty will have to as well if he is called as a witness.

This will be so fun to watch!

Old 01-17-2020, 03:36 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,536,757 times
Quote:

From her statement:

https://www.redstate.com/sister-told...achment-trial/

Senators are expected to be sworn in by Chief Justice John Roberts on Thursday afternoon; no one is expected to recuse themselves from the trial.
https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/...eachment-trial

They were sworn in.

Old 01-17-2020, 03:48 PM

11,792 posts, read 5,798,330 times
3 years ago the left was so happy not all elected Republicans liked Trump and said they wanted him gone. Seems over time - they all stepped back in line to support him - why? Their own jobs were on the line because that people that elected Trump expected them to support him.

The left is fooling themselves if they think any of the Democrats won't take a step back if their constituency at home start to waffle on whether or not they elected the right person. I'm in a blue state - so my feelings mean squat - but for those elected officials in purple states or districts - you will see them doing an about face if they are up for re-election in 2020.

Old 01-17-2020, 03:57 PM

14,776 posts, read 8,112,224 times
Quote:
“Tomorrow, one hundred United States Senators will be sworn in to serve in the impeachment trial of President Donald Trump. Four of those Senators must recuse themselves for their unparalleled political interest in seeing this President removed from office. These four Democrats, Senators Bennet, Klobuchar, Sanders, and Warren, cannot sit in judgment of the very President they seek to replace. To participate in this trial would be a failure of the oath they took to be an ‘impartial justice according to the Constitution and laws’. Their presidential ambitions prohibit their ability to view this trial through an objective lens.”
You mean to be as fair and impartial as McConnell has claimed he is, lol. What a joke!

Old 01-17-2020, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
Democrats being impartial on this sham impeachment ? Lmao The Democrats have been seriously butthurt since 2016. Ain’t NO Democrat gonna be impartial. NONE!
I was thinking this exact same things about the Republicans...I mean an impartial Republican? Show me some.

Old 01-17-2020, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
How about the senators who are getting cold hard cash from the RNC for defending the president? Shouldn't they recuse?

How about the senators who hang out a the Trump Hotel bar every night? Should they recuse?

How about the senators who hang out at maralago? Shouldn't they recuse?

How about McConnell whose wife works for Trump? Shouldn't he recuse?

How about the known lapdogs--Graham, McConnell, Rubio, Scott and more than a few others. Should they recuse?

The above have a very serious conflict of interest.

Marsha Blackburn is about as objective as the Trump spawn. She should just do her job and shut up. Nobody takes her seriously.
This. Couldn't rep you again, but well said.

Old 01-17-2020, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
So you think the Republican“Tomorrow, one hundred United States Senators will be sworn in to serve in the impeachment trial of President Donald Trump. Four of those Senators must recuse themselves for their unparalleled political interest in seeing this President removed from office. These four Democrats, Senators Bennet, Klobuchar, Sanders, and Warren, cannot sit in judgment of the very President they seek to replace. To participate in this trial would be a failure of the oath they took to be an ‘impartial justice according to the Constitution and laws’. Their presidential ambitions prohibit their ability to view this trial through an objective lens.” s will be impartial? After Moscow Mitch said the Republicans were in lockstep with the President? LOLOLOLOL
Exactly!

Old 01-17-2020, 04:03 PM

15,847 posts, read 6,547,612 times
The Senate has debated the requirement for a recusal during previous impeachments, but it has yet to happen through a Senate vote. It has happened voluntarily though -- if the current political environment weren't so divided, I could see several senators recusing themselves. I suspect there's probably a few who would like to recuse themselves so their vote isn't on record.

Old 01-17-2020, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
What does the Justice Department have to say? Do they support the GAO findings?
Of course not, Barr is so far up Trump's ***** that you would need Miner's equipment to find him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies