Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2020, 12:33 PM

18,551 posts, read 9,243,352 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
Agreed.

And it gets even deeper. Not just the USA they destroyed, the war on drugs and the never ending wars in Europe, the Middle East, Africa, etc adds to the problems. We destroy countries with our policies so the citizens have no choice but to flee to the USA.
Correct, we depose democratically elected governments overseas and replace them with authoritarian governments friendly to Big Business. That way we can steal that country’s natural resources and/or exploit the local population for cheap labor. Better yet, if some of the population flees to America, it helps undercut wages here at home. It’s a double-win for Big Business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2020, 12:37 PM

13,560 posts, read 10,417,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
This from a guy who's uncle (really his entire family) is the chief architect of the 1965 Immigration Act - the one thing that has contributed more than anything to destroying the middle-class.

https://www.aol.com/article/finance/...lass/23904103/
Still crying about that? My heart pines for you.

Actually, immigrants have actually ADDED to the economy and growth. Entrepreneurship is pretty high with recent Americans. Come to Silicon Valley and you'll see. Heck, I've done well BECAUSE most of my clientele are immigrant families.

Bigger factors that have hurt the middle class include regressive tax policies, weakening of labor unions, deregulation of the finance industry, and outsourcing --- none of which have to do with immigration policies.

Anything to stoke your nativist screeds doesn't necessarily lie with the facts and truth. Sorry, mate.

Old 01-19-2020, 12:37 PM

8,104 posts, read 3,979,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
Reagan destroyed the middle class when he broke the unions. Pure and simple.
Reagan was a puppet of Wall Street and killing the unions was a gift to the bankers.

Old 01-19-2020, 12:38 PM

4,021 posts, read 1,824,354 times
Quote:
Nope....membership has been on the steady decline since the 50's.
It certainly has declined since the 80's (20% then, 10% now), but to put it on Reagan is just silly.....
I wish he had busted them up even more than he did though......he just messed up the air traffic controllers, hardly a powerful union.

You can hardly call 10-20% of the country's workers the 'middle class'

Old 01-19-2020, 12:42 PM

10,098 posts, read 4,130,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post

Actually, immigrants have actually ADDED to the economy and growth. .
If you actually believe that tripe, the educators who raised you have failed you tremendously.

Old 01-19-2020, 12:46 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,998,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody01 View Post
Nope....membership has been on the steady decline since the 50's.
It certainly has declined since the 80's (20% then, 10% now), but to put it on Reagan is just silly.....
I wish he had busted them up even more than he did though......he just messed up the air traffic controllers, hardly a powerful union.

You can hardly call 10-20% of the country's workers the 'middle class'
Union membership peaked in 1979 with 21 million members. Today it's the lowest it has been in the private sector since 1932. The air traffic controllers was the first hit. Many more followed. Automation, shipping jobs overseas and outsourcing finished the job. Who gained, who lost? It's pretty plain to see. Record profits for corporations and 50 years of wage stagnation at best for most middle class workers. The whole concept of job security, pensions and workers getting a fair share of the profits they generated disappeared with the unions. I retired with a pension in 2005, and stopped working as a contractor in 2008, but over thirty years all of my raises combined were less than the rate of inflation. So in spendable dollars I was making no more the day I left than the day I was hired. The last annual raise I got was 2-1/2% back in 2004 while the CEO awarded himself a $66 million bonus for the year.

Last edited by bobspez; 01-19-2020 at 01:01 PM..

Old 01-19-2020, 12:46 PM

13,560 posts, read 10,417,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
If you actually believe that tripe, the educators who raised you have failed you tremendously.
That all you got? Poor baby.

https://www.minnpost.com/community-v...eed-more-them/

Old 01-19-2020, 12:48 PM

10,098 posts, read 4,130,605 times
Quote:
That all you got? Poor baby.
You do realize big business (the same people you allege to be against) LOVE when the country is flooded with more cheap labor (like you), right?

This elementary level stuff here, kris.

Old 01-19-2020, 12:49 PM

18,551 posts, read 9,243,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J746NEW View Post
Back in the 80s and 90s there were protests all over against trade with China.
They were accused of being business hating liberals against "free trade" by the chamber of commerce and big business types.

The protesters were right.
Quote:
Quote:
Not to mention weakening of unions and hollowing out of industries/outsourcing.
Correct.

All of the “liberal vs. conservative” stuff is a distraction.

Life is not a war between “liberals” and “conservatives,” life is a war between labor and big business. The sooner we Americans realize this, the sooner we can rebuild the middle class.

Old 01-19-2020, 12:49 PM

17,874 posts, read 16,118,771 times
Quote:
Not to mention weakening of unions and hollowing out of industries/outsourcing.
Quote:
Still crying about that? My heart pines for you.

Actually, immigrants have actually ADDED to the economy and growth. Entrepreneurship is pretty high with recent Americans. Come to Silicon Valley and you'll see. Heck, I've done well BECAUSE most of my clientele are immigrant families.

Bigger factors that have hurt the middle class include regressive tax policies, weakening of labor unions, deregulation of the finance industry, and outsourcing --- none of which have to do with immigration policies.

Anything to stoke your nativist screeds doesn't necessarily lie with the facts and truth. Sorry, mate.
No policy, or economic factor exists by itself in a vacuum in any real world economic system. A lot of things happen to create varying effects.

Surely immigrants can add to an economy. But at the same time they can take away. A lot of immigrants are not even employed, or they are employed via taxpayer funding which only exists to employ them. They also probably end up needing further welfare.

Some immigrants are massively developing neighborhoods and provide a service/product that caters to people outside of their communities. They do add something. But that can be done through legal migration. Dont need illegals for that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies