Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2020, 07:47 AM

9,897 posts, read 3,430,854 times

Advertisements

Not a question of unions or no, but how is the union behaving, mainly the administrators. When it becomes ridiculously lucrative to be a high-ranking officer in a union, there will be problems. Lots of problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2020, 07:49 AM

9,897 posts, read 3,430,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrw-500 View Post
Kinda reminds me of the plotline of the movie "Blue Collar". I think that movie might still be relevant today along with these vlogs from Charlie LeDuff posted in 2014 about the UAW attempt to unionize the VW plant in Chattanooga.
That was a rough movie.

Old 01-29-2020, 07:55 AM

7,473 posts, read 4,017,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Legal? Thats a meaningless term.

Ive worked in several union shops and been through two union votes in shops where there there was no union representation. The negotiations while "legal" (lol) were not voluntary.

Anyway, I never said there aren't times that a company won't voluntarily work with a union, so my point stands; at the end of the day govt will force a resistant company to negotiate with union representation.
there is an old saying...……….a union is only as good as its members...…….

as to your reference to "forcing" a company to negotiate,in the end its both union and company who when unable to reach a consensus it is resolved by a mediation board. whose members are picked by both sides...….
https://nmb.gov/NMB_Application/

Old 01-29-2020, 12:27 PM

45,226 posts, read 26,450,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
there is an old saying...……….a union is only as good as its members...…….

as to your reference to "forcing" a company to negotiate,in the end its both union and company who when unable to reach a consensus it is resolved by a mediation board. whose members are picked by both sides...….
https://nmb.gov/NMB_Application/
Ownership should be able to run a co. without outside interference. If a company wants to negotiate with a union or bring in a third party it should be on a voluntary basis only.
If an employee or employees are dissatisfied with pay or working conditions they can complain up the chain or quit, but no one is entitled to a job or the backing of the state with its guns to force change.

Old 01-29-2020, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Actually, you're speaking for the corporations, not workers. You do realize don't you that corporate owners sure as hell don't want any union coming in and telling them how to run their companies. As corporations see it they are really the one getting abused by unions where unionized. It certainly isn't the workers. Tell me something, do you not realize that unions in the labor contracts will try to take away the corporation's right to fire without giving any cause?
so...……..how would you feel if your wife asked for a divorce..... but refused to give you a reason??

Old 01-29-2020, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Ownership should be able to run a co. without outside interference. If a company wants to negotiate with a union or bring in a third party it should be on a voluntary basis only.
If an employee or employees are dissatisfied with pay or working conditions they can complain up the chain or quit, but no one is entitled to a job or the backing of the state with its guns to force change.
where did you get the idea companies who agreed to having a union negotiate for their employees could not fire one of those employees...…. no one is "entitled" to not being discharged for a legitimate reason...…..

Old 01-29-2020, 09:44 PM

8,500 posts, read 4,744,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
Unions were the working class negotiators. Philosophically, unions are amazing: a free market counter to free market problems.

In the US, at least, I think corporate management and union leadership both bear blame for unions losing good-faith worker rights negotiation in exchange for a power battle between said leaders. Shame, unions could and should be better. But again, neither is really blameless.
Am I allowed to quote myself?

Old 01-30-2020, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
Am I allowed to quote myself?
I missed it apparently. Good points that I agree with. When I first started working back in the 70”s I worked with an old guy close to retirement. One day I was complaining about paying for union dues. Among other things he said to me “you need to remember that unions were brought about by companies. If they could be counted on to treat their employees fairly there would be no need for a union “

Old 01-31-2020, 11:52 AM

6,061 posts, read 2,011,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
Corporations have been abused by unions. Protecting the jobs of willfully unproductive workers while forcing is abuse against the corporation. Supporting a political party (using dues paid by members who, in many cases, don’t support the same party) which is determined to steal every cent they can from the corporation’s coffers in interest of “the greater good” is abuse. Pushing pensions so high that there is no sustainable way to meet the obligation is abuse.

As I’ve said before, private sector unions at one time served a purpose. They forced a young nation to address issues that needed to be addressed. They have long outlived their usefulness and have become parasites. As for public sector unions, they’ve always been parasites.
The protection of unproductive workers occurs primarily in the public sector. When I was a union guy, most of my contracts had 'production standards' provisions. Production was monitored via computer systems, and workers who didn't measure up got the boot. I saw several people get the boot this way, and the union did not fight it.

OTOH, if the company tried to fire someone arbitrarily, say because a manager decided he didn't like the guy, the union would step in and fight. I saw quite a few guys have their jobs saved in this way.

Old 01-31-2020, 06:02 PM

5,252 posts, read 4,677,849 times
Ahh, the old union debate. And, the usual suspects have boarded the anti union train to come to the defense of our beloved corporate titans. It's truly a testimony of efficient propaganda, that people in today's America no longer know who's buttering their bread, and that means that the shallow corporate news media, an anti union entity in it's own right, has won the hearts and minds of the working class.

This is why history tends to repeat itself, and why each generation must learn from their own mistakes. The elites are overjoyed that the unwashed masses are so easily distracted from a real education with regards to their own labor history, a simple two minute reading of the posts on "work and employment" forums would let us know why we need protection from the powerful. And no one but a complete fool thinks that only a saint should represent the workers interest. A union is only as strong as it's members want it to be...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies