Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2020, 02:44 PM

20,728 posts, read 19,367,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
Meanwhile, an estimated 8,200-20,000 people have died of the flu in the 2019-2020 U.S. season.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden...-estimates.htm

Meanwhile, 300+ million Americans have actually been exposed to the flu.

Old 01-30-2020, 02:49 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,949,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
WHO has issued Home care for Patients with Suspected 2019-nCoV blah, blah for the presenting with mild symptoms.

I haven't read the whole thing. But the first page addresses protocol for coordinating with health care workers..... and keeping them up to date on the patient status.

This would be part of the protocol to declare a patient "Recovered" and to help calculate the numbers to include those who have milder symptoms. It's not perfect, at home you cannot tell if you have influenza or the corona virus, so reporting would not be 100% accurate.

A communication link with a health care provider should be
established for the full duration of the home care period until
the patient fully recovers. Health care personnel should be
involved in reviewing the current health status for the
progression of symptoms3of contacts by phone and, ideally
and if feasible, by face-to-face visits on a regular (e.g. daily)
basis, performing specific diagnostic tests as necessary.

These protocols are modified from the MERs protocols. But, the protocols ARE out there, if you care to go looking.

Edit: oops, forgot the link.

https://reliefweb.int/sites/reliefwe...d-patients.pdf
This appears to be voluntary.

There is nothing in what you have posted that states that medical personnel MUST followup with patients who WERE DIAGNOSED and then sent home. And then send the follow-up data to a central location for capture.

Or did I miss it?

Old 01-30-2020, 02:56 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,863,037 times
I know someone commented on the Russia/China border before....

They are still claiming no infections but they are closing the 2600 mile border to China.

https://www.businessinsider.com/wuha...pidemic-2020-1
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 01-30-2020, 03:04 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,575,119 times
Generally, cold and flu become life-threatening when they develop pneumonia or bronchitis. All the early cases had pneumonia when they were admitted to the hospital in the early stages of the coronavirus. The decline is either rapid, or there are few symptoms alerting victims until it becomes serious.

patients arrive with pneumonia

There is a vaccine for pneumonia.

Old 01-30-2020, 03:08 PM

52,697 posts, read 34,564,185 times
mask factories are working overtime.

Quote:
From South Korea to the Czech Republic, China's coronavirus outbreak has triggered a massive surge in demand for protective masks, with factories scrambling to fill orders and shops selling out.

The virus, which first appeared in the Chinese city of Wuhan, has killed 170 people and infected more than 8,000. It spreads through droplets from coughs and sneezes.

Fears of infection have sent people rushing to pharmacies. In Hong Kong's Kowloon district, anxious residents queued for seven hours on Thursday only to discover stores had sold out of masks.

Manufacturers have had to ramp up production, with some running factories 24 hours a day.
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/china...144955439.html

Old 01-30-2020, 03:09 PM

7,134 posts, read 4,540,768 times
The vaccines for pneumonia don’t always work. A friend of mine got it despite the vaccine.

Old 01-30-2020, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
This appears to be voluntary.

There is nothing in what you have posted that states that medical personnel MUST followup with patients who WERE DIAGNOSED and then sent home. And then send the follow-up data to a central location for capture.

Or did I miss it?

Like I said, I didn't read the whole thing. I doubt that would be in there because it is unenforceable. It also does not enforce making sick people call health care providers, because, again, unenforceable.

They are required to report everything they know (suspected cases, confirmed, etc.) that's part of the whole thing. If Nurse Debbie has worked 72 hours straight and forgets to call those patients who were supposed to call in themselves, and didn't?

It's going to happen (and the burden to initiate and call in is on the PATIENT, not health care).

Old 01-30-2020, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
Generally, cold and flu become life-threatening when they develop pneumonia or bronchitis. All the early cases had pneumonia when they were admitted to the hospital in the early stages of the coronavirus. The decline is either rapid, or there are few symptoms alerting victims until it becomes serious.

patients arrive with pneumonia

There is a vaccine for pneumonia.

For some not all, and of course, not the bacterial ones.

Old 01-30-2020, 03:19 PM

25,447 posts, read 9,809,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
Meanwhile, 300+ million Americans have actually been exposed to the flu.
The coronavirus is much more deadly than the flu. There's no vaccine at this point, and it's effects can happen exponentially. Hospitalizations from the flu in people over 50 is about one percent. With the coronavirus, it's about 20%.

Old 01-30-2020, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
mask factories are working overtime.
Now that the WHO has declared a public emergency, they will have more funding, and one of the first places it's going is into the manufacturing of PPE, and testing kits, etc. I'm sure they have a nice big shopping list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies