Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2020, 11:12 AM

39,947 posts, read 26,667,913 times

Advertisements

He cut my income taxes by 20%. He reduced the taxes on my employer, which enabled them to provide a nice bonus the last couple of years. He has enabled economic growth that has resulted in "help wanted" signs going up everywhere in my city, which has drive wage increase for my family. He has actually worked to address the unfair trade practices of China and other nations, encouraging businesses to bring jobs back into this nation-which has helped economic growth in my community. He has worked to reduce the influx of criminal aliens that had been depressing wages. Just a few things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2020, 11:26 AM

17,154 posts, read 13,034,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
He cut my income taxes by 20%. He reduced the taxes on my employer, which enabled them to provide a nice bonus the last couple of years. He has enabled economic growth that has resulted in "help wanted" signs going up everywhere in my city, which has drive wage increase for my family. He has actually worked to address the unfair trade practices of China and other nations, encouraging businesses to bring jobs back into this nation-which has helped economic growth in my community. He has worked to reduce the influx of criminal aliens that had been depressing wages. Just a few things.
How? I ask Trump supporters this all the time and none of you have actually told me how he has CREATED jobs. Sure the economy is great. Connect the dots for me. But correlation does not necessarily mean causation, ya know. Multiple hurricanes occurred while Trump was in office as well. Does that mean he created them? Of course not.

Old 02-02-2020, 11:26 AM

18,521 posts, read 15,350,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
Actually it was always the combination of mortgage interest plus taxes that allow people enough to be able to take the deduction. So when one goes away, the other by itself is not enough. Many people bought their houses based on the total tax+interest deduction. They have had the rug pulled out from under them.

Your description above is very good. I am not that familiar with those having such high income and taxes. My experience is at lower levels. So it seems the new tax law affects a lot of people at different levels.
Sure, it may eliminate the need to itemize for some people. But that is not necessarily a bad thing, especially since, if I remember correctly, the standard deduction was doubled by the new tax law.

Yes, it effects a lot of people at different levels. The lowering of the top brackets and the raising of the AMT threshold help people who lost their SALT deductions to varying degrees. Some people are doing much better, even without the SALT deduction. It all depends on one’s income, as well as how they earn that income.

Of course, assuming you can earn the same, it is financially advantageous to move to low SALT states, no matter what level you are at. On a personal level, I could earn the same income anywhere in the country, and I am paying a lot just to live where I live. But I cant put a price on happiness.

Old 02-02-2020, 11:30 AM

14,267 posts, read 7,013,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwood66 View Post
Are you serious? So because people have no "person appointed in charge" they have no scruples and are corrupt? That without an appointed head they are running around willy nilly not knowing what to do so they do the wrong/corrupt things?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
Who is in charge of those institutions? Answer: the President.

He had/has the opportunity to put his own people in charge of all the government agencies... thousands of positions. But he has left most of them without leadership... hundreds of open positions that he didn't bother to fill with his own people.

So whose fault is it that the agencies are "corrupt" as you say?
You missed the point. Here is an example: If the "boss" thinks there is a problem in his "company" it is the job of the boss or someone he appoints to go figure out what is wrong and fix it.

In Trump's case, it has been 3 years. He hasn't put anyone in charge to "fix" what he thinks is wrong in the agencies. Too much time has passed for him to still be saying there are problems in the agencies. It has been his responsibility for 3 years.

BTW, the people who work in the agencies are just working stiffs like most of us, doing their jobs the best they can. They know what their jobs are and they do them. Most federal jobs have "policy and procedure manuals" that describe the responsibilities of each job. Those manuals have been developed over time and across many different presidents, and they are based on laws passed by congress. Federal workers are implementing the law.

Old 02-02-2020, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnh View Post
I'll bet you that very few people living in $300K homes in Texas are approaching the AMT threshold.
Why? I would think they would be exactly the people this would help. The AMT used to kick in at only $82K. Now it kicks in at $109k. In Texas, couples who live in $300K houses, don't earn more than $82k?

Old 02-02-2020, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
It would be interesting to know what kinds of businesses or industries are being helped in this way. Would you care to share?

Old 02-02-2020, 11:42 AM

Cutting the corporate tax rate from 35% to 21% has to have helped with job creation. When companies are flush, they expand. At least the smart one do.

Old 02-02-2020, 11:45 AM

1,199 posts, read 737,029 times
His stance on healthcare has negatively impacted me by having to put my plans on hold. His weakening and dismantling of Obamacare (the law that saved my life years ago) and his inability to even put a viable alternative plan means I have to stay put in my current position in the workforce.

I wanted to start my own small business (just me and someone else). To do so means going into the individual market. Right now, I wouldn't qualify for any subsidies but I could easily manage the monthly premiums and deductibles. Before Obamacare, the individual market was out of the question.

I was born with a pre existing condition (although I live a normal life and have never been hospitalized because of it) that would make it impossible to be insured in the individual market if things were to go back to the pre Obamacare era. As well, because of what happened to me a few years ago, I have to get expensive annual imaging.

Suffice to say, if I knew Obamacare wasn't in any trouble or we moved to a better version of universal health care (Like Australia, Japan or Germany) I would have started long ago.

But he continues to weaken healthcare laws which protect people like my and as such, has prevented me from taking certain risks which could have potential huge payoff, but financially and quality of life wise.

Old 02-02-2020, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
Cutting the corporate tax rate from 35% to 21% has to have helped with job creation. When companies are flush, they expand. At least the smart one do.
But they didn't expand or give higher wages or bonuses to the workers (who are making money for them). Instead, many of them used the extra money to buy back their own stock or gave more to the shareholders as higher dividends. I appreciate that my IRA investment account has increased because of this, but I have heard that half the US population doesn't have any money in the stock market. So it has not helped the working people at those companies.

Old 02-02-2020, 11:50 AM

2,759 posts, read 2,072,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by louie0406 View Post
I ask this question because I see many leftists/democratic voters stating that they’ll vote for any of democratic nominees rather than voting for Trump.

So for those here who plan on voting the same way, what has Trump done that has negatively impacted your life that you would rather vote for any of the democratic nominees so long as they have a shot at beating Trump?
Well, I wouldn't vote for Trump under ANY circumstances, but since you asked what he has done that has negatively impacted my life, I will give you one: The GOP tax plan that capped the SALT deduction. I live in one of those regions where property taxes are very high and always increase year over year. I am also on a fixed income (SS.) The new standard deduction will only offset my current taxes (which are actually lower than the average for this region) for another two years. After that, assuming that no changes are made to the tax code in 2021, my SALT will become greater than the standard deduction and the gap will only widen with each successive year that the current $10K limit remains in place. (There's absolutely nothing that Trump has done that has directly impacted me in a positive way.)

I also object to Trump on multiple personal and philosophical levels but you asked for "direct impacts" and so the SALT change is the biggest one so far.

That said, there are certain current Dem nominees that I would NOT vote for, i.e., Sanders or Warren. It's highly unlikely that I'd ever vote for Yang but he won't be the nominee anyhow. I am not and never will be on the Medicare-for-all bandwagon. If Sanders or Warren end up as the nominee, I will either vote for Chafee or do a write-in.

Last edited by BBCjunkie; 02-02-2020 at 11:58 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies